Dog's ball in Ravenholm

N

Nutt

Perhaps this has been asked, but has anyone found a way to get Dog's ball past the fence to the church? Seems to be a NPC-blocker there, but I wonder if anyone has found a way around. (Yes, Dog's ball is a NPC - ask the zombies.)

i think you face the other way, toss it up in the air, save the game, the load it again, and catch it... or something like that.
Don't bother trying to take it that far though, cos you can't get it through this one window at nova prospekt.

search on google, somebody did a waalkthrough on how to get dog' ball all the way through hl2.

They called it frank. It's even in the dictionary.

2. Frank
Frank, name of Dog's Ball in Half-Life 2 (Valve,2004) that kick much ass

"I grabbed Frank with the gravity gun and yanked him over the wall"

Jangle said:
search on google, somebody did a waalkthrough on how to get dog' ball all the way through hl2.

The closest thing I could find to a walkthrough was a post to this forum, which didn't mention how to get past this part. That thread had the only reference to "Frank" in the context of Dog's ball that I could find via Google. There's mention of the name originating in the Gamespot forum, but nothing from there turns up on Google, and I can't be arsed to dig through the forum itself. Anyone have a link?

In any event, I got "Frank" across. It seems you have to go down to the street and shoot him over the section of fence nearest the church itself.

Now I'm on Highway 17, and boy, things are getting pretty complicated.

How do you get the ball through the water part in the mines after ravenholm? doesn't it explode when it touches water?

jump down and launch the ball up, catch it again on it's way down. Now if you keeep it near the surface of the water (top of the tunnels) it wont explode even if it is underwater.

Why do u need Dogs ball? I finished the game and did not know he even had one.

Hmm... I think it can be used to kill enemies as an alternative.

It's the deactivated rollermine from when you play with the gravity gun with dog. It can be used as a normal grav gun projectile, to distract enemies (it rolls towards you / enemies (enemies take priority) and distracts them) and it will kill headcrabs by rolling over them.

The metal ball......I saw some on highway 17,were they the same thing?

How durable is the ball? I've got it towards this famed "magic blocking volume" (so that's how Grigory keeps the Zombies out of his Church!), but I did notice that it died, or got lost once or twice in my travels...

justmatt said:
I'm wondering the same thing.
Yes, but Dog has one in the backyard, the challenge is to take that very ball to the end.

AJ Rimmer said:
Yes, but Dog has one in the backyard, the challenge is to take that very ball to the end.
What i'm most curious about, is how do you get the ball through the Combine teleporter? Does that really teleport anything you put in there with you?

What i'm most curious about, is how do you get the ball through the Combine teleporter? Does that really teleport anything you put in there with you?

No one has ever actually gotten to the teleporter, as there is a window in Nova Prospect, looking out from a room into a place with an Antlion guard that the ball will not go through

I would imagine that you would lose it between chapters, though.

How do you get Frank past the water at the end of Ravenholm?

The_Monkey said:
How do you get Frank past the water at the end of Ravenholm?

FireCrack said:
jump down and launch the ball up, catch it again on it's way down. Now if you keeep it near the surface of the water (top of the tunnels) it wont explode even if it is underwater.

Read the thread next time.

I used Tera Bonita's npc spawner to make a Frank 2. He attackes enemies and allies don't shoot him! The only disadvantage is that he dosn't follow you.

By the way, Frank is technacly an ememy

I think we should all get back to the point here, this thread has the words "dogs ball" in the title :LOL:

But seriously, the throw load catch trick gets it into ravenholm but after that i get stuck as well, kudos if you make it through the whole game! (though getting it to the last level and not losing it?)

No Frank is a rollermine that has been programed not to attack.
Look at him and enter "ent_show_response_criteria" into the consol.
"npc_rollermine (ball)

Edit: so far I have gotten Frank to the bridge you have to ramp guarded by the gunship.

I got it to the famous window in Nova Prospekt. Frankly (no pun intended), it's just a pain in the ass after Ravenholm. It elicits some weird behavior from NPCs, but that's about all it's good for.

Indeed, it is simply a modified rollermine. Use 'impulse 103' and you will see that its class is 'npc_rollermine' and its enemy is YOU!

the only thing i kept with me were a couple of turrets in nova prospect (the ones re-wired to kill enemies).... the bit where you teleport out i had a few more than i should of :)

kupoartist said:
How durable is the ball? I've got it towards this famed "magic blocking volume" (so that's how Grigory keeps the Zombies out of his Church!), but I did notice that it died, or got lost once or twice in my travels...

Like all rollermines, it is destroyed by explosions or by being submerged in water. Other than that, it's invincible.

To get it to the church, go down to the street to the left as you face the church. Shoot it against the side of the church right about where the church is closest to your side of town. It should land in the area where Grigori is (where, like all your friends, he will try to kill it.) "Throw-load-catch" didn't work for me and is not necessary.

I just threw it over the damn invisable barrier, it isn't infinatly high. The same with the 1 at New Little Odessa.

ríomhaire said:
I just threw it over the damn invisable barrier, it isn't infinatly high. The same with the 1 at New Little Odessa.

I tried that many times. I guess not high enough. I sent it around the side at NLO, too.

Did you end up on your own at NLO? The guy outside wouldn't go to the basement, the folks in the basement wouldn't come outside to help me with the gunship, and Cubbage wouldn't acknowledge that I killed the gunship. It was kind of funny how the gate just opened, while the man who was supposed to open it was off attacking my ball.

Sieg said:
The metal ball......I saw some on highway 17,were they the same thing?
In design yes... but in hostility... no. those rollermines you encounter in Highway 17 is... damn annoying and dangerous too.

This thread is pretty damn funny to me. Reading these posts, I get the visual in my mind of your friends/allies just attacking this harmless ball like it's their destiny in life. It's like, oh my god this fvcking metal ball, I have to kill it! Shoot it until it dies! And then they shoot it over and over and over with no real emotion on their face, hell I dunno, probably running and repositioning themselves, yelling battle cries, keeping their fixation on this DAMN METAL BALL THAT IS JUST SITTING THERE! I mean, there's this guy who's job is to open the gate for you. He is a grown man and he has a job to do, but FVCK THAT THE DAMN METAL BALL MUST SUFFER! So he starts running around like a mad man blasting this impenetrable steel contraption like a friggin crazy ass. Sorry for the stream of consciousness post, but I can't explain it any other way. :LOL: :bounce:

Sid Burn said:
In design yes... but in hostility... no. those rollermines you encounter in Highway 17 is... damn annoying and dangerous too.
Actualy in hostility... yes. The reason it "follows" you is because it is trying to kill you!

yeh but its like a nuetered dog trying to get a bitch pregnant......u can get close but no cigar or cigarette watever u prefer....as for me im a crack pipe man. lol

TaiFong said:
This thread is pretty damn funny to me. Reading these posts, I get the visual in my mind of your friends/allies just attacking this harmless ball like it's their destiny in life. [...]

Your description is accurate. Everybody hates that ball. It's a shame you can't get it back to City 17. That would be a riot.

Nutt said:
Your description is accurate. Everybody hates that ball. It's a shame you can't get it back to City 17. That would be a riot.
I made a friendly 1!

did you make that one after the invisible wall in nova prospekt

Perverted little shits, stop talking about Dog's balls.

:eek: :eek: Whoa, major necroposting! Just 24 days to go, until 4 years since anyone posted in this thread. :eek: :eek:

How to get Frank (Dog's Ball) past the invisible wall before Nova Prospect

I just figured out how to get Frank into Nova Prospect just now, replaying HL2 for another whack in January 2009...

1. Take the ball and put it against the invisible wall

2. Walk past the ball down the hall. Ball will try to chase but cannot

3. Rumble... ceiling collapses! Ball is STILL VISIBLE.

4. Map change before you can do anything.

5. Frank is still visible. New map. NO INVISIBLE WALL.

6. Pick up ball and continue forward...

ALSO, to immediately crash Half Life 2 (Orange Box)...

Throw or touch Frank on a barnacle tentacle.

It looks like they never planned on having Frank interact with barnacles so the game will INSTANTLY bomb out to the desktop. I am doing this quite repeatedly well in Nova Prospect in the water room with barnacles on the ceiling.

Frank doesn't drown in shallow water.

That water room is a good example. The water is about 2-3 ft deep and Frank happily rolls around in it without exploding.

Dude, seriously?

Anyway, Dog's ball (teehehehehe) is smaller because it's deactivated. When a rollermine is active, the little pikes on it widen up and the "shape" of the ball is arcing electricity.

So yes, Dog's ball (teehehehehe) is smaller because it isn't activated.

Back