Doom 3 expansion to have rip-off of HL2's gravity gun.

Mechagodzilla said:
This isn't quite the same as just inspiration.
This is like a 1-to-1 copy, and only one week after the fact.

Let's say I made an FPS that was just 'okay', and then HL2 came out a month later and kicked ass.

So, I create an 'expansion pack' that has, as it's only really original feature, little pods that you can throw around that attract imps and make them kill stuff for you.

Sounds desperate, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Doom 3 already had a "grav gun" of sorts when it came out as a sort of developer tool. I think I remember reading about it on some doom forums.

With all the games implementing physics it's not exactly an original idea anymore.

The games industry is built on stealing from other games, IMO.

Plus.. physics is becoming a big thing in FPS games for pretty much the first time. The hardware capabilities are here, and it's probably the 'Big Thing', or will be if it's not, for a while. So every in-development game will have a manipulator and a gravity gun and whatver else, it's inevitable that some will make it into the final version, if it fits with the game universe.

how exactly will it "grab" objects? hopefully it will just be a big claw, that would be so cool :D if it was actually a gravity gun that would be crap. with a big arm you could rip into demons and stuff ;)

Neutrino said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Doom 3 already had a "grav gun" of sorts when it came out as a sort of developer tool. I think I remember reading about it on some doom forums.

With all the games implementing physics it's not exactly an original idea anymore.

There's a console command that allows you to grab stuff with the mouse, and swing it around, instead of shooting, but it's no fun because Doom 3 wasn't designed for it and the physics just, well... suck.

isnt the gravity gun in Half-Life 2 sort of a rip off of Force Push & Force Pull from Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight?

;)

Seriously though, this is a totally blatant ripoff of HL2, the 'grabber'.

Lets not forget what came out first..... doom was one of the first shooters.. .you could argue half life is a blatant rip off with all the weapons and monsters etc......

Good for id, they can do that if they want, there is still less objects on mars or where ever this game takes place on, than Half-Life 2.

Valve to announce "Spirit Pyramid" for Half-Life 3.

You'd never hear the end of it.

Back