Which game is better?

• Doom 3

Votes: 66 64.7%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Neutral (Like Switzerland)

Votes: 18 17.6%

• Total voters
Definately Doom 3, it has a far better lineage. With it's atmosphere and id's experience of making the same game over and over again it should be really good to play.

Halo was fun but that's it. It wasn't groundbreaking. The only thing ground breaking or special about Halo was that it was a great console FPS. Which doesn't mean much, it's like saying the Metrostars are a great Major League soccer team.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy playing Halo and it isn't a good game, I just don't think it's reputation should have spilt over onto the PC

AmishSlayer said:
Not necessarily. With Halo now you can play online...free. You just need to take a few extra steps.

www.xbconnect.com

Make sure your xbox is connected to a hub/router along with your computer to the internet.
Get the client.
Keep your Halo game in the System Link screen where it looks for games [If you're hosting, just make a game]

That simple. My friends and I have played Halo online so much...I expect the same sort of thing to work with Halo 2 as long as they don't remove System Link play (I highly doubt they will).

Halo 2 gets my vote. MP with much more replayability. ID has constantly said they wanted to get the best SP experience. I'm more interested in MP.
You're serious? So if i've got an extra LAN cable, i just connect my Xbox up with my ADSL modem, download the client and start playing?

Sparta said:
You're serious? So if i've got an extra LAN cable, i just connect my Xbox up with my ADSL modem, download the client and start playing?
Well you connect it to your network card, then Xbox Tunnel will recognise the Xbox's connection, route it through Gamespy and through your modem into the Gamespy XBT servers ;) It's just as AmishSlayer described it; Easy as pie to set up, and usually lagless. Plus it's a ton of fun, provided that players don't drop out because they're losing.

More on-topic: Rather than let the community decide which game you should get, I would just go with which one seems more fun to YOU. Do you want a scary, visually-intense and atmospheric PC shooter, but with somewhat lackluster multiplayer? Or do you want a game with a more cinematic and squad-based approach to the singleplayer experience, with the exact opposite of lackluster multiplayer? And more importantly, do you have the hardware needed to run Doom 3 at a respectable detail level?

Me, I'm going with Halo 2. I don't have an Xbox, but an Xbox plus H2 and XBL will cost MUCH less than buying a spankin-new video card to "properly" play Doom 3. My machine BARELY meets the minimum specs for the game, so it's likely that even more upgrades would be in line to play Doom 3.

It's just whichever one you think you'd enjoy more. And don't let my decision influence you!

stigmata said:
Plus it's a ton of fun, provided that players don't drop out because they're losing.

That's the only problem...lots of poor sports out there. I played this one guy that joined me and had 36 ping...I whooped him 50-8 in hang em high.

Afterwards...
Player: lag.
Me: With 36 ping?
Player: Not really :(

Made me laugh :)

Then again, there are some good players out there. When you find a good player, it seems that you usually play a few games, not just one, so you sorta get to know who you're fighting. XbConnect also allows for buddy lists etc. so when you find players you like, you can play them more often.

I plan to get XBL anyways even though this method will be available. Simply because XBL seems to be faster in general...less lag. It'll be easier to put together big games, I find it hard to join lag-less games - I always host, and I want a ranking system :)

EDIT: Oh yeah...and you'll find with XBConnect that you can play more games than just Halo through tunnel services. There's quite a few of 'em on there.

AmishSlayer said:
That's the only problem...lots of poor sports out there. I played this one guy that joined me and had 36 ping...I whooped him 50-8 in hang em high.

Afterwards...
Player: lag.
Me: With 36 ping?
Player: Not really :(

Made me laugh :)

Then again, there are some good players out there. When you find a good player, it seems that you usually play a few games, not just one, so you sorta get to know who you're fighting. XbConnect also allows for buddy lists etc. so when you find players you like, you can play them more often.

I plan to get XBL anyways even though this method will be available. Simply because XBL seems to be faster in general...less lag. It'll be easier to put together big games, I find it hard to join lag-less games - I always host, and I want a ranking system :)

EDIT: Oh yeah...and you'll find with XBConnect that you can play more games than just Halo through tunnel services. There's quite a few of 'em on there.

Ok i've got a laptop hooked up downstairs through my Lan cable (For internet purposes, my dad is an IT Wiz) so all i have to do is download XboxConnect, plug in the lan cable for the Xbox and connect that to my network card, and run Xbox Connect and join a game on the Xbox?

If i can get this to work with Halo 2, Halo 2 will win in my books for sure (At least in the multiplayer department)

I didn't like Halo that much except from the multiplayer. I thought the singleplayer was boring and repetitive(The Library is the worst level ever in any game!!) plus I hated the flood, they were just so boring to fight, all they did was charge at you, no dodging in and aout of cover like the covenant(which were cool to fight). My favourite level was "The Silent Cartographer" mainly because of the outdoor combat and the fact that there was no flood at that point in the game. The story was good, which is one of the few things I liked about the singleplayer game. Multiplayer was brilliant though. It's what elevated Halo from a really crap game to an average one in my book.

I primarily buy a game for it's singleplayer, a good multiplayer mode is bonus not a necessity for me. Doom3 looks to have a good singleplayer game and I'm really not too sure about the singleplayer in Halo2. At the moment, I'd say Doom 3. But who knows a couple of months down the line I might have changed my mind about which is the better game of the two.

hmm the halo storyline is so boring, its the sorta game that i can enjoy for about half an hour and then go off and do something else. Fps are made for multiplayer and to mix in with a good storyline anything else and it bores me. Give me a multiplayer rpg and ill play it all day :D

Back