Doom3 - Whats the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbanleg

Reaction score
Well i played recently in the leaked beta of doom III
and i must say the game looks pretty artistic to me and even nice but i cant see why people are waiting for it .. i mean its just another FPS who looks good but not A big exception.

take for example Hl2 .
not only it has new phisics engine which are beeing shown on the vids it got other very original stuff..
the greatest example i think is the manipulator gun
in doom3 we still got regular weapons (futeristic tho) but still nothing original.

Well if any of you guys think im wrong i would apriciate to get some more info about the pluses of the game.

As i see it now the game is going to be very Moderate in its success..

Real time lightning--More Carmack magic...should i say more

Oh i think this is the wrong forum to be posting about D3

Originally posted by scribblehead
Real time lightning--More Carmack magic...should i say more

Oh i think this is the wrong forum to be posting about D3

well i tell you why i posted it here.. cus i wanted an objective prespective... i mean with all the fan boys @ doom3.com or .net whatever..
you(and me ) are hyped about HL2 but as for doom3 i think we can be much more objective than the doom3's fourms.

What has DOOM III have? A physics system, a fantastic lighting and shadow system, greatly detailed character models, per-pixel hit detection and shadowing, a story written by a professional writer, incredible graphics, creepy monsters and great athmosphere.

But I don't think it beats HL2. :)

Ugh... Urbanleg, do a forum search for threads with a title of "Doom3" "Doom 3" or "Doom III" and that'll give you an objective perspective. This ISN'T the right forum for it anyway, and whenever it's discussed it causes flame wars.

I recommend you just delete the thread yourself before a moderator has to do it.

I really don't think i'm more hyped on HL2 than i am with D3 (considering i'm the lead concept artist for a D3 total conversion ;))

But yeah there's certainly some downsides to D3, as there are with HL2....but still, i think its awesome that were getting these 2 games---ppl might look at D3 and think "man its all for show, and no story"....thats complete bull, i'm sure D3 is packing a very cool story, but its getting overlooked by the "presence" of really cool graphics.

man i'm tired of writing....:D

because the game is scary, its the sucessor to the granddaddy of all FPS (cept for castle wolfy) looks badass, etc, etc.

Asking whats the big deal is like asking someone "whats the big dea on having a sportcar?" or "whats the big deal about being artstic?"

the point is "whats the big deal?" could be said about ANYTHING.

Whats the big deal about wasting your time playing make believe on a 2000 dollar paper weight?

Whats the big deal talking to people you don't even know on a forum?

Whats the big deal about half life 2?, it looks so unrealistic.

Don't ask ignorant questions

Originally posted by Fenrir
What has DOOM III have? A physics system, a fantastic lighting and shadow system, greatly detailed character models, per-pixel hit detection and shadowing, a story written by a professional writer, incredible graphics, creepy monsters and great athmosphere.

But I don't think it beats HL2. :)

Ok i agree with the lightning and shadow system.. But as for the phisics.:
can u give me an example cuz i wasn't aware for anything unusal in the demo.. or at the movies ive seen..
really..
i think lightining and shadow are not going to make this game a hl2 rival.. or at the very least a good game.

I'll be buying DOOM III as I think it will be an experience that shouldn't be missed. I think HL2 will have more replay value.... and more mods.

Originally posted by Flyingdebris
because the game is scary, its the sucessor to the granddaddy of all FPS (cept for castle wolfy) looks badass, etc, etc.

Asking whats the big deal is like asking someone "whats the big dea on having a sportcar?" or "whats the big deal about being artstic?"

the point is "whats the big deal?" could be said about ANYTHING.

Whats the big deal about wasting your time playing make believe on a 2000 dollar paper weight?

Whats the big deal talking to people you don't even know on a forum?

Whats the big deal about half life 2?, it looks so unrealistic.

Don't ask ignorant questions

Ok i will rephrase my question:
What are you looking for in doom3..?
Chris_d i dont see any flames coming this way and i already mentioned why i posted this quesion here.. it will be more intresting to know what the HL2 community is looking for in DOom3 the utlimate competitive for Their Fav. game

I wish people would understand, that both the games are sequels to what were brilliant games and it's not going to be the "bells and whistles" that make it a good game, it'll be the gameplay. Neither of which we can compare to each other yet so let's just drop it.

I'm a Half-Life fan, some people are Doom fans, those fans with a mature attitude will appreciate both games, I know I will. As I've said many many times, I'm also looking forward to Far Cry, Stalker. None of them are JUST another FPS.

sigh.... not a Doom 3 vs HL2 topic again.
When will you people learn, they're both totallt different games, time will tell if they'll both great games.

Like I said, it's been answered.

Originally posted by PvtRyan
sigh.... not a Doom 3 vs HL2 topic again.
When will you people learn, they're both totallt different games, time will tell if they'll both great games.

THIS IS NOT A D3 Vs HL2 Topic!!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :

All i wanted from you guyz is to answer this simple question:

"what are you looking for in Doom3?"

some might answer the phisics, some the graphics, and some might answer that the grotesque atmosphere is what they look for..
Damn why couldnt you just answer it?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I believe you mean Alpha, the 3 year old pos \o/, newest build is much much better. :O And I'm just looking for a solid 1v1/2v2 DM and good SP game.

If a MP game goes down to 10 players or less, I usually just leave.

Originally posted by Urbanleg
THIS IS NOT A D3 Vs HL2 Topic!!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :

All i wanted from you guyz is to answer this simple question:

"what are you looking for in Doom3?"

some might answer the phisics, some the graphics, and some might answer that the grotesque atmosphere is what they look for..
Damn why couldnt you just answer it?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

But that's the thing, it will turn into a HL2 vs. D3 topic soon enough, and the moment it does, it closes.

No matter how you word it mate, it's still a Doom3 vs HL2 thread and your questions have STILL already been answered.

You said you don't know why people are following Doom3. It's probably because they're a bigger fan of Doom than HL.

EDIT: What I'm looking for in Doom3 is to have some good smooth gameplay. If the graphics are good too, that's a bonus.

I don't think that it is a good idea to base much on the Doom II ALPHA. I'm sure that both games will be great (I think doom 3 will be more scary and intense, and HL2 will be better storyline and creative gameplay), but I have to say I'm more looking forward to HL2. Of course it is still hard to really make a good comparison as we have seen quite alot about HL2 and its engine from the videos, but not much from Doom 3 (again, the alpha is probably not much to base things on).

Originally posted by Chris_D
No matter how you word it mate, it's still a Doom3 vs HL2 thread and your questions have STILL already been answered.

You said you don't know why people are following Doom3. It's probably because they're a bigger fan of Doom than HL.

Its really funny how people react to such questions \ this subject..

i really thought i would of get some intellegent answers and not stuff like

D3 < Hl2 or hl2 < D3

B Bah

Ok i agree with the lightning and shadow system.. But as for the phisics.:
can u give me an example cuz i wasn't aware for anything unusal in the demo.. or at the movies ive seen..
really..
i think lightining and shadow are not going to make this game a hl2 rival.. or at the very least a good game.

In a recent interview Tom Willits (I think) bragged to the press about their physics system, which they developed in-house, and did not base on Havok, as HL2 does. That can either be a good or a bad thing, I suppose. He claimed, of course, that it was the best physics system on the market...

Guys PLease do me afavour Just leave aside (as hard as it is) Half life2
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Try to concetrate on this question:
what do u look forward in doom3? (cons.)

Doom3 got a physics engine now? When did that happen? The last (outdated) info is that it actually HASN'T one.

Well in the alpha leak, as crappy as it was, there are some instances where you can see the physics in action. You can shoot around boxes, and in one part there is a light that swings around if you shoot it, and near the end of the alpha there is a "fat" zombie that ragdolls when he dies. If you type in "spawn monster zombie fat ragdoll" in the console, you can spawn the ragdoll zombie, and when you kill them their corpses pile on top of each other. It's pretty cool to make a pile of dead zombies, even if it does completely **** over your computer.

what do u look forward in doom3?

Story. Gameplay. The new sound engine, sound will be superb. The new ultra detailed maps possible by normal maps on every surface, something we have never seen in a game before. The awesome atmoshphere. The new unified lighting system, also something we have never seen in a game before. Cant wait to see the new Cacodemon ofcorse. And everyone who has played the MP says its very fun, so im looking forward to that too. The mods done with this engine will be interesting, im looking forward to those. Everything about doom3 is appealing to me. I also cant wait to see what other games will use this engine. I hope we get more info on the large scale MP game Nerve is working on with the doom3 engine soon too.

Doom3 got a physics engine now? When did that happen? The last (outdated) info is that it actually HASN'T one.

The developers have always said they will be implimenting an advanced physics engine. And no, they didnt decide to make it after they saw hl2(LOL) as some of the guys on this forum think.

its a leaked alpha.. and the phisics werent even in yet.. and it wasent even desighned to be seen by anybody but there team

DooM III kicks ass. Half-Life 2 kicks ass. Max Payne 2 kicks ass. Halo 2 kicks ass. They call kick ass ok? Stop with the penis measurements. :eek:

and i must say the game looks pretty artistic to me and even nice but i cant see why people are waiting for it .. i mean its just another FPS who looks good but not A big exception.

take for example Hl2 .
not only it has new phisics engine which are beeing shown on the vids it got other very original stuff..
the greatest example i think is the manipulator gun
in doom3 we still got regular weapons (futeristic tho) but still nothing original.

Well if any of you guys think im wrong i would apriciate to get some more info about the pluses of the game.

As i see it now the game is going to be very Moderate in its success..
i agree, i'm much more excited for hl2, but that doesn't mean i'm not still drooling over doom 3

Watch the E3 2003 Doom 3 video and tell me it doesnt look ****ing amazing.

Half-Life 2 was designed to bring you a deep, original story line, in an amazing game world.

HL2 will do what it was made to do.

Doom III was designed to make you shit your pants in Hell.

D3 will do what it was made to do.

Two COMPLETELY different games, not even remotely like each other, except for the fact they're DX9, FPS, etc.

It's like saying which is better? Gone With the Wind or The Exorcist?

omg definatelee gon wiv teh window!!"

you will all see what happens with D3, nothing

Originally posted by BlumenKohl
Half-Life 2 was designed to bring you a deep, original story line, in an amazing game world.

HL2 will do what it was made to do.

Doom III was designed to make you shit your pants in Hell.

D3 will do what it was made to do.

Two COMPLETELY different games, not even remotely like each other, except for the fact they're DX9, FPS, etc.

It's like saying which is better? Gone With the Wind or The Exorcist?

im sure D3 will not do that, i am so sure simply because it is ID

Welcome back to the boards sheepfactory,doom>hl2,quotidiansuccess,etc.

Originally posted by ferd
im sure D3 will not do that, i am so sure simply because it is ID

Who created Doom, Wolfenstein and Quake? Yeah, they sure don't know how to make games, they're all morons. id who made the engine which HL1 partially runs on?

Well butter my arse, another Doom3 thread.

If you want to talk about Doom3, do it on a site THAT ISN'T DEDICATED TO ANOTHER GAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back