Doom3 - Whats the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a sequel to a huge game. It is going to be the first game to use full real time dynamic lighting- you won't get this from other companies for a while because most have to look out for sales and try to appeal to the greatest amount of consumers (ones with crappy computers). It is being storyboarded, using scripted events and played continuously (instead of by levels) like HL1. Expect this game to be at least on par with HL1 + more scary, better graphics, better sound, etc.

If Deus Ex 2 comes out as planned on October, it will be the first game to use fully dynamic lighting.

Doom III will just be another fully dynamically lit game, that will be the graphical standard. ;)

Doesn't Splinter Cell have full real time dynamic lighting?
And HL2 has it too, it's just executed in a different way to D3.

Originally posted by Chris_D
Doesn't Splinter Cell have full real time dynamic lighting?
And HL2 has it too, it's just executed in a different way to D3.

Splinter Cell does not use full real time dynamic lighting. It uses static lightmaps here and there.

Same with Half-Life 2, although it uses a lot of dynamic lighting, it still uses static light maps here and there just as Splinter Cell.

Doom III does not use anything static in its lighting engine.

Just because a game has fully dynamic lighting doesn't mean it's all sharp shadows. If you've played Splinter Cell or Battlefield 1942, players cast dynamic shadowmaps, which are blurry, but still dynamic.

I believe Doom 3 will be better than half life 2 for the following reasons.

Half life 2 is primarily being made by Gabe Newell. Gabe Newell is a very fat man and as we all know fat people are lazy. Conversely, John Carmack is lithe and slender through the sheer hard work that he ploughs into making his games. I also think that the fetid stench emanating from the vast sweaty folds of Gabe's massive body might disrupt his co-workers somewhat. Instead of the flow of conversation in the id studios which centres around game development and general feedback from playing the game, what we have at valve is the same tired topic being batted around of "omg what is that fuking smell?". I heard gabe actually ate one of his sound engineers as well.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAGAHGHADGAHHA

errr....I like Kentucky Fried Chicken better than McDonald's.

yeah mcdonalds is teh suxx, KFC makes much better use of dynamic frying

Originally posted by Flyingdebris
yeah mcdonalds is teh suxx, KFC makes much better use of dynamic frying
MMMMMMMM, Rag-doll nuggets, dynamic fries, Hamburgers with place-holder beef.

I'm sure both games will turn out to be very fun. There is no point in trying to compare them right now since neither of them is released.

Judging a game from a leaked alpha version is also really unfair, since it doesn't reflect what the final game will be like. This is the reason why game developers often don't let you see early movies of a game, let alone let you play early versions of the game.

And since this is not even a HL2 vs Doom3 thread but simply a Doom3 thread, I think it counts as off topic. But since the topic makes such good tinder for a flame war and is so inherently worthless and flawed, I'll just close it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back