Doug "jiveturkey" Lombardi Interview up @ Driverheaven

wtf!?! we need a keyboard now!?! what a f*ckin joke!1!!

that bit about the zombie was awesome, i cant wait to do that stuff...

[Doug Lombardi] There will be a standard edition box and a collector’s edition box of Half-Life 2 released on the same day the game is made available via Steam.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

How is development progressing on Counter Strike: Source?

[Doug Lombardi] Great. We?re holding the first playable exhibition of it this weekend in Seoul, Korea.
Has this happened yet? If it hasn't, this interview is new.. very new.

I don't believe it has happened yet, unless we're in some wierd time warp and news hasn't reached us yet.

Two great reads! Thanks for posting guys.

Driverheaven.net: From a developer's perspective when creating Half-Life2 how did the major graphics card companies assist in resolving any issues? Were they quick to respond with driver fixes or technical responses, and would you have hoped for more input from them?

Gabe Newell: If you look at the surveys we've done of the hardware our customers have (on Speakeasy.net), there are two companies that dominate - NVIDIA and ATI. We've spent a lot of time working with both companies. Right now for the DX9 generation, ATI is significantly ahead in terms of absolute performance and price/performance. We are working pretty hard with NVIDIA to try to optimize the situation with regards to getting their performance up to snuff. We spend more of our time with ATI working on new features like high-dynamic range rendering (HDR) which is a new technique to create more life-like lighting.

Anyone want to read into this?

cool! The bit about the state of MP gaming makes me think we might get one kickass surprise in the MP department. As long as they want to change things themselves and not just wait till others do it.... :(

ship said:
Two great reads! Thanks for posting guys.

Anyone want to read into this?

They spend time on Nvidia getting the cards to perform better under dx9. Where as with ATI since their performance is already upto snuff they can focus more on the eye candy with ATI cards. They're spending time with both cards just in different areas.

gusolson said:
cool! The bit about the state of MP gaming makes me think we might get one kickass surprise in the MP department. As long as they want to change things themselves and not just wait till others do it.... :(

No, Im pretty sure your right! :cheers:

Gabe Newell: We actually don't keep super close tabs on that stuff that way as we tend to iterate and revisit stuff over the course of the project. For example some of our models were "finished" four years ago, but now that we have the rest of the game, we are going back and doing another pass on them to bring them up to the same art standards as the rest of the game, simply because our art has matured over the process of creating Half-Life 2. We share a lot of pieces in the company. The Source engine is being developed and used by both Half Life 2 and Team Fortress
The same is true for the tools. The Steam group is building the UI and VGUI 2, which is incorporated into Half-Life 2. If you count everybody who has touched something that will go into Half-Life 2, then that's most of the company (we're at around 85 people right now)

I beleive in that older interview with gabe he is reffering to Nvidias previous generation of hardware.

Will Counter-Strike: Source be a stand alone retail game, or HL2 mod that can be purchased or downloaded, like the original Counter-Strike?

[Doug Lombardi] It’s likely to be sold in a variety of ways. We will be releasing more specific info a bit closer to launch.

Hmm... I wonder how long til the flaming will commence on this one.

its bound to be sold as a retail package just like CS 1.5 was...
And it will be most likely be Sold with HL2 Special Edition... and a free downlaod to those through steam tho bought the multiplayer...
i cant see valve making CS Source completely free, that'd kill CS for many people. For a start you wouldnt get them lil cs kiddies calling you a "newb" or a "h4x" etc.,.. hmm, maybe they should sell it, give it a more mature audience, atleast at first.

charybdis said:
Will Counter-Strike: Source be a stand alone retail game, or HL2 mod that can be purchased or downloaded, like the original Counter-Strike?

[Doug Lombardi] It’s likely to be sold in a variety of ways. We will be releasing more specific info a bit closer to launch.

Hmm... I wonder how long til the flaming will commence on this one.

Eh? Did you expect HL2 to be free or something?

No, I am not that dumb. I was just saying I wonder how long it will take until a million "I hate Valve for Charging for CS:S" threads come up.

I plan on buying the Collector's Edition to support Valve, and I plan on purchasing CS: Source even if it isn't part of the CE.

I expect to pay for HL2, HL1:S, CS:s, DOD:s and TF2...

And if they all come in a pack it will be far cheaper than buying them seperatly.

lazicsavo said:
Yeah, and the minimum requirements went up I think :)

Actually it went down, the previous one was 1,4GHz, 256MB RAM and DirectX7(Maybe DirectX6) level acceleration.

Anyways looks like a good read.

Edit: Damn he pushes the cs:source for free statement away :(

It could still be free. It'll probably come packaged with HL2 and be sold seperately for those that don't want or need HL2.

FISKER_Q said:
Actually it went down, the previous one was 1,4GHz, 256MB RAM and DirectX7(Maybe DirectX6) level acceleration.

Anyways looks like a good read.

Edit: Damn he pushes the cs:source for free statement away :(

The previous one was 1 GHz, not 1.4 GHz, so it went up. Which isn't a surprise since the game has been developed a year 'too' long and low end user specs also went up.

They're saying CS:S will be free with HL2 on http://www.csnation.net/

You'll probably also be able to buy it seperately if you don't want HL2....this buying thing is a complete mystery.

urseus said:
I expect to pay for HL2, HL1:S, CS:s, DOD:s and TF2...

And if they all come in a pack it will be far cheaper than buying them seperatly.

Arent they making a TFC source?

that was a pretty good read :)
what was exciting to me about this interview was the part where he talks about approaching a zombie and the zombie using a nearby barrel :E :)

Dalamari said:
Its nice we finally have some requirements to go by.
We've always had requirements, it's just that the minimum CPU required has gone up slightly now.

[Doug Lombardi] The min spec is:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard

The min spec increases every time they tell us :-/

Crusader said:
[Doug Lombardi] The min spec is:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM