Downloading full version of HL2 before its released

sHm0zY

Tank
Reaction score
I have a problem my brother says hes going to download half life 2 after it goes gold off a site like IRC spy or something, He has done it before. this is bothering me because he doesn't even like hl2 and he is just doing it to piss me off and spoil it for me. I know this might not be a big deal to you but yeah. do you know what valve is going to do to prevent people doing this.

They won't do anything. I suggest you beat him up, and threaten to do it again if he spoils it for you. :)

Uhhh wtf? Valve will never stop this kind of behavior and if you dont want to play the leaked version dont... I know I never will.... hope this help to whatever you asked. :|

i cant beat him up hes twice the size of me. I was thinking of when he goes to work i cancel the download or something.

After he spends all that time downloading, just delete it when you get the chance... ;)

Ed. Heh, same thinking. :)

the single player mode is no doubt gonna be h4x0r3d.. but it wont be able to run on your proper steam folder. i dont see much valve can do to stop this

but for multiplayer its completely useless.

you should just delete random files out the folders that sound important so the game wont run :D

I say download a virus and install it and say to him that the HL2 game was Virus City... and just fry your comp. :)

sHm0zY said:
I have a problem my brother says hes going to download half life 2 after it goes gold off a site like IRC spy or something, He has done it before. this is bothering me because he doesn't even like hl2 and he is just doing it to piss me off and spoil it for me. I know this might not be a big deal to you but yeah. do you know what valve is going to do to prevent people doing this.

Firstly, who cares what your brother does??? Its his computer/life, let him do what he wants. VALVe won't be able to stop every IRC bot with the full game on it, and shit. Its way to difficult, notice most developers just forget it...Its a worthless battle.

Set the computer to auto shutoff every 30 mins so dl's will be cut..

Then *he'd* beat *you* up I'm afraid.

Your best bet is to just wait, I doubt your brother will be able to "spoil" anything for you story-wise, HL2 will probably be more rooted in its gameplay in the earlier levels. ANd he won't be able to play CS: Source, that's for sure.

When a game goes gold, it doesn't usually end up on IRC....After it's released yes, but if it goes gold and ends up on BT, then it would have to have been leaked by someone from inside Valve or Vivendi. Or hacked.....

Give me his IP address, some of my friends are expert hackers and diehard HL2 fans. He won't know what hit him.

lazicsavo said:
Give me his IP address, some of my friends are expert hackers and diehard HL2 fans. He won't know what hit him.

Oh jesus christ....You and your script kiddie friends need to shut up! :rolleyes:

DiSTuRbEd said:
Oh jesus christ....You and your script kiddie friends need to shut up! :rolleyes:

Trojan Generators for everyone hurrah!!

you should lick your brother, that'll get him..... unless he likes to be licked.

I have this great tool where you cna passowrd protect a HDD... (accidently did that to my C drive at one point.... couldn't boot into windows.... had to backup my files through knoppix, and then format) ;)

Or you could just block all the ports IRC needs to download things...CASE CLOSED! I win.

sHm0zY said:
how do i do that

Not going to tell you that, because you probably have no access to a router, and/or you'd probably **** something up.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Not going to tell you that, because you probably have no access to a router, and/or you'd probably **** something up.

Ill just unplug his Internet cable that conects to the router when hes downloading.

sHm0zY said:
Ill just unplug his Internet cable that conects to the router when hes downloading.

Maybe he will break your fingers and stop your ability of posting then!

/me prays

sHm0zY said:

Why don't you just talk to him like a man? (followed by a rock to the face)

Some games do and some games don't make it onto warez scene between going gold and release.
Or at least widespread. I remember talking with people about WC3 lans a week before it came out, but when somone wanted max payne 2, it took them till after the game had bee released.
How do these things get leaked? Someone sticking their hand in teh printing press and running?hohohojk

Six Three said:
Why don't you just talk to him like a man? (followed by a rock to the face)

ill try that when it goes gold i dont wanna look like the weak one right now,, lol

Orange said:
Some games do and some games don't make it onto warez scene between going gold and release.
Or at least widespread. I remember talking with people about WC3 lans a week before it came out, but when somone wanted max payne 2, it took them till after the game had bee released.
How do these things get leaked? Someone sticking their hand in teh printing press and running?hohohojk

YEah i dont understand how hackers do that. they are pathertic.

Usually you get games early because so one with the publisher or some stores get them early and some one takes one home and posts it on irc.

Phrozen Ice said:
Usually you get games early because so one with the publisher or some stores get them early and some one takes one home and posts it on irc.

Wouldn't you rather play the game before everyone else does rather than warez it?

sHm0zY said:
YEah i dont understand how hackers do that. they are pathertic.

They are pathetic?.....Hmmm I should do my leet hacking skills and punch you through cyberspace.....

DiSTuRbEd said:
Don't temp me.

Shmozy don't. He disabled my keyboard for 2 days and forced me to use the onscreen kb :(

get on his comp while he is gone and download bonzi buddy. Oh and shmoz dont listen to disturbed, his mother didnt hug him when he was a kid.

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
get on his comp while he is gone and download bonzi buddy. Oh and shmoz dont listen to disturbed, his mother didnt hug him when he was a kid.
LOL!!!!!!!!!! tthats funny

You can also ask where he's getting it, and spoil it by spamming the heck out of those servers and channels he visit. :p

You can configure the router to not forward port 1024->5000, which is the usual DCC ports.

Heck you can block 1024->65535 as long as you just remember to open up 6667 and the steam/hl ports.

you can also simply delete some funny ol' file like "boot.ini" and his computer won't boot.

Or you can do something even funnier, like using the administration tools(Make sure his administrator account password is nothing, if he's using 2k/xp(you need 2k/xp as well))

Then you can use mmc or "shutdown -i" to remotely control his computer management and to remotely shut down the computer

Back