downloading steam with 56k

gel

Reaction score
Is it recommended to download the big file(?), using the installer or even wait it out for a while?

Note: I get disconnected every two hours, so I'll probably use a download manager for resuming broken downloads.

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I'd wait for a while (unless you are desperate). Steam is working, but only just. If you want to download everything your best hope is the big file at the moment - but as you say, use a download manager.

it is clearing up, but its still a bit clogged, its funny though, im sure the beta had over 2000 mbps of servers, now its half that, hopefully they will hook up those other servers..

Originally posted by Lobster
it is clearing up, but its still a bit clogged, its funny though, im sure the beta had over 2000 mbps of servers, now its half that, hopefully they will hook up those other servers..

It did. It had up to 2.5gbps of servers at one point.

And yeah, waiting is a very very good idea for now.

Today's the first day I can get into any games since the beta ended...

On 56k, I'd only use Steam to download patches. I can't imagine trying to pull down the applications at that speed (*shudder*).

As it is, I don't think I'll be purchasing HL2 through Steam even with broadband. No way am I gonna sit for 15 minutes or worse between levels. It's a cool idea. They desperately need more bandwidth, tho.

Steam? 56K? that's a big no-no! Try getting the cache files on a cd from a friend instead : )

I downloaded the 600mb e3 vid on a 56k! (just so's you know) :D

Pertaining to steam though - It's really geared towards constant high speed connections, so I'd not try to muddle through it on 56k, my fellow slow-packeted pal.

I suggest.

Download 500k install.

When you install, ONLY checkmark the mods you have. This way it will use most of the content you already have.

Then right click on each game, go to properties, and select "Always keep this game up to date" (This could freeze Steam for a minute, but wait- it didnt crash). Then it will download the update to the mods you have. It could still take a while.

Back