Dr. Breen is alive, but not well.

Samon said:
The reactor was tiny, a spire atop the tip of the Citadel. That explosion took out the entire upper portion. No protective bubble is gonna save him :p
TheDan said:
You're confusing.

Sounds pretty straight forward to me...

xirow said:
Why does Breen need a host body? In Half-Life 2 Breen requests to be taken away from Earth. But the destination in which he's set to arrive at is too dangerous for him. To survive in this environment he needs a host body.
But Freeman destroyed the teleporter and stopped him from escaping Earth. Surviving in the dangerous environment in which he was set to arrive was the only reason he needed a host body. But now he can’t escape earth, he is trapped here. So he doesn’t need a host body anymore.

well, he may need a host body in the end of HL2 anyway, if he was injured in the blast. Either way, HL2 ended with the question 'what happened to Breen' and HL2ep1 Solved that.

Valve may have fudged it somewhere in btw.

Yes, I got that SS too, and it seems like a reasonable interpretation given that there is a serial number on there. It seems clear that it is an advisor, however I guess it could also be Breen given that it spouts angry mental attacks at you :D

Perhaps the Combine Advisiors have similar abilities to the Vortigaunts and while the Vorts were doing their thing, the Advisiors did the same for Breen. However to 'punish' Breen, his Benefactors inserted him into a host body instead of letting him use his original human form.

hey i am new here but i have been following discussion for awhile.

I just had a interesting thought during reading the posts. The advisors told breen to get a host body to inhabit before he could come to their planet. They said that he could not surive teleportation and the conditions of their planet.

After playing half life 2 again and reading these posts i believe that what gordon did was prevent the teleportation but was unable to halt the stuff that had to happen to breen before he teleporated.

Basically breen told the advisors he would get a new body and then teleporate to their planet. Gordon was able to stop the teleporate process, but Breen was still forced down into the middle part of the Citadel where he was fused with a advisor, however he couldn't teleporate away thanks to Gordon.

I read somewhere that the half life 2 episode series would show some secret that the combine were planning and help explain the events prior to the final epic battle. The secret could be that the combine wanted to assimulate "empty" advisor bodies into certain heads of the human race so that the combine advisors could influence the rule earth more personaly. This seems very likely to me, because i do not think the combine advisors trust breen completely. They must have planned eventually to take control of earth themselves and throw out breen after they had used him.

I already posted this in my own thread, but I'll post it here as well.

So Breen transferred to a host body before the explosion, makes sense. Except if everything had gone according to plan Breen would have instantly transferred to a body that is NOWHERE NEAR THE TELEPORTER. That doesn't seem like a very helpful solution.

esplin said:
I already posted this in my own thread, but I'll post it here as well.

So Breen transferred to a host body before the explosion, makes sense. Except if everything had gone according to plan Breen would have instantly transferred to a body that is NOWHERE NEAR THE TELEPORTER. That doesn't seem like a very helpful solution.

No, you see him as a human before the explosion. Wait, which explosion? The reactor one or the big kablooey one?

Anyway, Breen escaped through the pod thing.

the only unanswered question seems to be, "would breen have been teleported into his host body, and how the hell would that work?!" If not, then why was he in the teleporter in the first place :/

At the very end of Half-Life 2, about 5 seconds after Gordon destroyed the portal, Breen yells "you need me". I take this as if he could still be saved by the combine. Of course a little bit earlier in the game Breen said "It's me you should be worried about" - meaning the combine haver greater interest in Gordon. I even had a theory before that it was the Combine that took Gordon out of statis from the G-man, which obviously didn't happen.

Who know for sure though, I don't think anyone guessed that the vortigaunts were going to save alyx and Gordon at the end did they?

I'm still curious to know if he was supposed to be transferred to a host body, why he was going up to the teleporter, still not in his host body. Still a human..

I always figured he was stay in the bubble and then transfer to the host body when it reached the Combine Homeworld.
But that's just me.

VortigauntLover said:
I always figured he was stay in the bubble and then transfer to the host body when it reached the Combine Homeworld.
But that's just me.

Thank you VortigauntLover, my point exactly.:)

Another point I think I should mention is the Combine Advisor's description in Raising the Bar:

"In designing this character we wanted to suppose that an organism, not unlike humans, began to depend on the technology that was originally created to improve it's quality of life. Over the course of evolution, it became grublike, with limbs no longer able to support its own weight, eyes to feeble to see without aid, a body now incapable of movement, fully dependant on the technology that it created. It was, however, incredibly evolved in its ability to reason, invent, and dominate the minds and cultures of other beings."

A body that can't walk, see, or even move without the aid of a machine. I'm sure Breen was clamoring for that body.

now that is a good point, if he has a host body I don't think it is an advisor.

esplin said:
A body that can't walk, see, or even move without the aid of a machine. I'm sure Breen was clamoring for that body.

It can fly, and it's telepathic. I would clamor for that body!

It can't fly. That's ridicilous. :D

It does have psychic powers though. :)

I agree Esplin, I don't think Breen really wants to be in the body of a slug that can't breath, see, walk, or move in any way without technology. He seemed to be very reluctant to have to be transferred into a host body, as he noted in a conversation with the slug. (Which I imagine would be something like this)

Combine Slug: "You must be transferred to a host body once you reach our world."
Breen: "A host body? You must be joking! I can't possibly..."
Combine Slug: "You cannot survive in our enviroment otherwise."
Breen: "...oh all right dammit if that's what it takes. Just hurry, he's right behind me!"

Yes, Breen clearly did not want to be a slug and it seemed almost that he didn't want Gordon or Alyx to see him as a slug, perhaps why he was going to wait to transport to the Combine Homeworld to enter the host body.

It can fly with it's technology. And the psychic thing is cool. :D

99.vikram said:

Where's the proof it can fly with it's technology? (Besides those escape pods, which are basically like our airplanes or cars, just transport machines)

99.vikram said:

A human can fly with it’s technology as well :)

Actually, VortigauntLover, I imagined it more like this:

Advisor: "Citadel Portal registration, how may I help you."

Breen: "You have to help me, it's Freeman, he's right behind me."

Advisor: "I'm sorry Doctor, but all of our Portals are full today you can try again tommorow."

Breen: "But that will be too late. Listen, I can still deliver Earth to you."

Advisor: "Well.... I could get you on the express to RJ-38"

Breen: "But the atmosphere is toxic I can't survive their."

Advisor: "We do have Cerulean Gnats that we use as host bodies for our discount fliers"

Breen: "A host body! Fine, just have it ready he's right behind me."

esplin said:
Actually, VortigauntLover, I imagined it more like this:

Advisor: "Citadel Portal registration, how may I help you."

Breen: "You have to help me, it's Freeman, he's right behind me."

Advisor: "I'm sorry Doctor, but all of our Portals are full today you can try again tommorow."

Breen: "But that will be too late. Listen, I can still deliver Earth to you."

Advisor: "Well.... I could get you on the express to RJ-38"

Breen: "But the atmosphere is toxic I can't survive their."

Advisor: "We do have Cerulean Gnats that we use as host bodies for our discount fliers"

Breen: "A host body! Fine, just have it ready he's right behind me."

That's great!
Alot more humourous than my interpretation. :D

In reading this thread, these are the theories so far:

1. Breen teleported into his host body moments before the explosion and is the one in the pod that appears after Alyx plays the recording on the monitor.

2. Breen's "bubble" protected him from the explosion, but still caused severe damage to his body to the point where he had to move to one of the host bodies (being stored in the Citadel basement above the core) in order to survive.

3. Breen died in the explosion at the top of the Citadel (torn apart by deadly particles yet to be named by human science).

4. Breen successfully teleported to the Combine homeworld to be placed in a host body upon his arrival.

5. The Vortigaunts removed Breen from the explosion and he is in his human body somewhere outside of City 17 (like Kleiner, Eli, Mossman, etc.).

6. The Advisors in the Citadel basement telepathically removed Breen from the explosion to safety and either forced him to move into a host body, or left him free to remain in his human form.

7. The reactor's meltdown left Breen vulnerable for the G-Man or his employers to take him away and put him into stasis.

8. The teleportation barely succeeded but teleported Breen to a different plane of existence where he is trapped for all eternity.

OK I added that last one to make the list an even 8. Hmm, they seem to get more and more unrealistic as the list goes on. :)

A True Canadian said:
8. The teleportation barely succeeded but teleported Breen to a different plane of existence where he is trapped for all eternity.

OK I added that last one to make the list an even 8. Hmm, they seem to get more and more unrealistic as the list goes on. :)

You know it's funny, that's what me and my cousin were joking about earlier. Breen's trapped in some infinite, very dark place, known as the 'Phantom Zone'. (No relation to Superman one)
A fitting end I suppose.
Breen: "Hello? Is anyone there?" (Echoes)

Then Barney replies, "Did you hear a cat?"
Gordon: ....
Barney: Sounded like a Breen-cat...

TST_Devgru Seal said:
Then Barney replies, "Did you hear a cat?"
Gordon: ....
Barney: Sounded like a Breen-cat...

Ha! I get it, it's a play on words.

Breen-cat sounds so similar to Breencast.

Haha, hahahaha.

:p

I'm not mocking you, I do find that very clever. :D

In fact, I'm so clever, I completely missed that! :p

I was just combining Breen with cat, lol..

But, hey, lets go with what you said :D

Back