Dr Mossman? Who is she? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

jOOblaR

Reaction score
You all remember that video of her (recent recording or not) in the Citadel explaining to whoever was watching something about plans. Then she is forced to flee due to an unexpected attack from the Combine. You see Rebels running around being her.

Is she working against the Combine? Yes, but who is she speaking to? And where is she?

Very interesting stuff. Opinions?

Damn, only at this point I realize that she WASNT talking to you, but it was a pre-recorded message. Can't believe I didn't see that. But yeah, that opens up a whole range of options.

This is a spoiler.

Mossman is in the artic (most probably the Kraken base) in that recording and she is probably trying to locate the remains of the Borealis research ship.

yes, valve said that in the commentary. she is at "the arctic base" which in valve lore means Kraken base, which is where the borealis crashed in the original storyline.

Nice replies. That would make awesome sense. I remember starting off on the borealis in the Raising the Bar book. Did they asay it crashed? And Why would they need to get teh remains of the ship?

Pauly said:
Nice replies. That would make awesome sense. I remember starting off on the borealis in the Raising the Bar book. Did they asay it crashed? And Why would they need to get teh remains of the ship?

"The Project"

"Powerful weapons"

I think you get the idea.

It was a rebel base located in Antartica, where supposedly the Borealis took you to. It was replaced by Black Mesa East.

Borealis? where do you first encounter this vessel? In the original games, or was it cut for the Black Mesa/New Mexico idea?

Abominable Snowman in the artic? Abominable Snowheadcrab!!? D:

UltimaApocalyspe said:
It was a rebel base located in Antartica, where supposedly the Borealis took you to. It was replaced by Black Mesa East.

wrong cardinal direction

What is Borealis? I feel stupid for asking but I don't remember any discussion of a ship crashing anywhere containing anything or a base.

This is the first time I've ever heared of Borealis!!
can someone please clarify?! where was it mentioned first?! What happens there in the original storyline?!

the borealis was a ship which tok you to antarctica, the story line was scrapped by valve and replaced by black mesa east( in hl2 - the powerplant-)
Mor einfo is in Raising the bar

StarBob said:
What is Borealis? I feel stupid for asking but I don't remember any discussion of a ship crashing anywhere containing anything or a base.

The Borealis was an Icebreaker ship they used to get to the Arctic in order to reach Kraken. Basically, the rebels have built it, then abandoned it - now with the Combine cut off from Earth they are off to find it again.

ahhhh I see, it all fits together now

I can easily see why they scrapped the idea. It would have taken too long, and too much work for just a part of the game. You're on another continent, then you gotta go back? Too much I say

From the Wikipedia page:

# Encounter with Owen on the Borealis. The Borealis was a science icebreaker that was, in some versions of the planned game, stranded in the ocean. Owen, sometimes named Odell, was the engineer of the original ship and leader of a group of rebels. His model was later re-used for that of Odessa Cubbage. After the battle fought with Captain Vance, Gordon travels on foot to the Borealis, which in turn takes him across the ocean bay.
# Encounter with Doctor Mossman in the "Kraken." The Kraken was either a stranded science ship, locked in ice or beached in the shallow depths of a nearly dried ocean, or a rebel base of sorts. Judith Mossman met the player here for a period of time before Gordon leaves, on foot, and advances through a Combine Weather Control Complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_cut_from_Half-Life_2

It would be nice to see the Kraken involved but I'm not sure how it's going to fit into the story.

My guess is that was an old recording in the archive. I mean, how can Mossman be in the Arctic when she was in City 17 just hours ago? I think she got captured in the video, that videorecording got taken to the Citadel, and she was made to collaborate with the Combine as we saw in HL2. And whatever Mossman was after there, the Combine probably have it now.

PvtRyan said:
My guess is that was an old recording in the archive. I mean, how can Mossman be in the Arctic when she was in City 17 just hours ago? I think she got captured in the video, that videorecording got taken to the Citadel, and she was made to collaborate with the Combine as we saw in HL2. And whatever Mossman was after there, the Combine probably have it now.
There was obviously some time between the explosion and Alyx and gordon being warped out by the Vorts. Remember the lost week? Same thing more or less happened.

PvtRyan said:

Nah, it don't think it was an old recording. Mossman came under the sway of Breen due to her unquenchable thirst for scientific knowledge. Unlike Breen, she was able to control it, however. But Breen managed to manipulate her, for a time.
Alyx picked up the transmission when it was broadcasting, but she was pretty sure it hadn't reached Eli.

Judith and Eli escaped the Citadel via one of Breen's escape pods, so they'd have gotten far enough outside the city. Then it was only a matter of another form of transportation. I don't think the Arctic is supposed to be far from wherever C17 is supposed to be located.

baron insig said:
the borealis was a ship which tok you to antarctica, the story line was scrapped by valve and replaced by black mesa east( in hl2 - the powerplant-)
Mor einfo is in Raising the bar

I'm pretty sure it was the Artic, not Antartica. After all you are in the far North already, it would take bloody ages to get to Antartica otherwise.

Still, how does Mossman get there so fast? I mean, Gordon and Alyx haven't even left City 17 in that time.

PS: Samon, did you just delete a whole lot of posts?

How does Mossman get there so fast? Only a couple of hours have passed since the end of HL2, or less.
I can't see how she got so far away from Ci y 17.

They escaped the Citadel via Breens escape pods. The north isn't too far away from where C17 is located, and it'd only be a matter of finding transportation. It's possible she went via plane.

Samon said:
They escaped the Citadel via Breens escape pods. The north isn't too far away from where C17 is located, and it'd only be a matter of finding transportation. It's possible she went via plane.

What are Breen's escape pods? I've heard you mention them alot but I'm not sure what they are. Are they the same things that were flying away at the end of Episode 1? That would seem logical as they seem quite fast and adept at flying. But Alyx didn't know what they were. Who's to say Eli and Judy did?

Also, are there even any planes left? Or any fuel to run them? Actually... I guess if there is an airboat, a car, atleast one helicopter, several, possibly petrol-driven APCs and a theoretical ice breaker, there could be anything. :cheese:

Reginald said:
What are Breen's escape pods? I've heard you mention them alot but I'm not sure what they are. Are they the same things that were flying away at the end of Episode 1? That would seem logical as they seem quite fast and adept at flying. But Alyx didn't know what they were. Who's to say Eli and Judy did?

I doubt it was the ones seen in the chamber. Definately something a little more...human. Alyx mentions it.

99.vikram said:
PS: Samon, did you just delete a whole lot of posts?

I did. But not in this thread.

In HL2 Mossman teleports with Alyx father some where undisclosed and Alyx reacts: "What location is this... oh my go..."

My take is she teleported him to the Kraken base, probably in the Antartic because she is wearing a coat in the transmission. In the transmission they are attacked, you see the base and the attack in the EP2 trailer at the end of EP1.

My take is something happens to the train after the Citidel explodes, Alyx gets hurt, you are rescued by Vorts and tranported to the Kraken base to help fight off the attack and some how save Alyx, whose life or death will probably be the next cliffhanger.

She teleports to Breen's office. You see her and Eli later in the game there.

It doesn't make any sense. 30 minutes earlier, she was with Eli in Breen's office.

It has been a number of hours since the explosion, as Alyx said she had been trying to reach her father for hours.

Back