Dragonforce

mortiz

Reaction score
Anyone here listen to Dragonforce? I've just listened to a couple of their songs and I quite like their stuff. It’s furious as hell. Can anyone recommend any Dragonforce songs I should *ahem* "sample". Preferably their best ones.

I prefer my power metal with more of an accent and less triggers...but that's me. :thumbs:

I'll be the nice guy and actually answer you. :E

My favorite song/songs (it's between two) is "Fury of the storm" and the second is "Operation ground and pound". :dork:

Isn't that the band that sings about Necromancers and Dragons and shit?

I'm gonna pull an elitist remark and say they're pop-Power metal, even though I'm not a fan of power in the first place. There are a lot better power bands out there... listen to Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, for a start.

I'm gonna pull an elitist remark and say they're pop-Power metal, even though I'm not a fan of power in the first place. There are a lot better power bands out there... listen to Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, for a start.
Well, I think a little bit of pop in metal is good. I'm not saying you should pull a KISS Dynasty or a Judas Priest Turbo (Judas Priest is my favorite band, btw), but it's good in moderation.

This is the reason why a band like Iced Earth (Power/thrash metal band) sounds better than say, the band Nile (Death metal), in that they have a moderate amount of pop rythm. That's the way I see it, atleast.

I think Iced Earth is drivel, but that's beside the point, because you can't compare the two directly anyway because they're vastly different styles of music. I don't think it's possible to have pop elements in Nile's brand of death metal. A better comparison would be to a band like Lamb of God, who are relatively poppy and fit in the same base genre, but even that is a bit of a stretch.
They're different genres, yes, but's that doesn't matter in this case. I'll go with you though, Deicide and Arch Enemy are death metal with some pop rythmic elements.

I can't stand Deicide. I have no idea why everybody seems to worship them.
Neither do I, but you get the point, yes? I'd also like to say I'm pretty passive on most things, so there isn't really anything I actually 'hate'. Dunno why I said that, but whatever. :rolling:

Dragonforce are pretty good for a power metal band, but pretty bad overall. They'd be less worse if they didn't have Elton John-esque power ballads on their albums, but Blind Guardian are still superior if you're after a power metal fix (and if you don't mind missing Herman Li shred).

I wouldnt call them furious. If you want furious, listen to Strapping Young Lad.

For a power metal band, they have very, very little cheese.
I'm gonna disagree, majorly, they have an insanely cheesy sound to me. I love them, think they are great, but they just sound like they're straight outta a renaissance festival or something.

A friend of mine went to a Dragonforce gig in London, which he said was pretty crazy ; basically at the front there was just one big pile up of dudes fighting.
But he likes there music.

Blind Guardian's guitar leads are way better than DragonForce's. I even liked A Night at the Opera. Not really quite my type of music, but I can listen to them and actually enjoy them. For a power metal band, they have very, very little cheese.
BG have come up with some really whack lead passages in their time, although that's a matter of preference. Regardless of personal preference though, BG hardly ever shred all out, instead they pile lots of fairly fast lead licks on top of eachother - like, they're riffing fast but a lot of the time it's something I find hard to call a solo. DF on the other hand tend to chuck in the kitchen sink with blindingly fast sweep picking and all sorts. I still think BG are generally the better band with the better licks, but if I'm drunk and want to get some supreme homoerotic guitar masturbation in, I'll go to Dragonforce. Get that lead section in Valley of the Damned...!

To be clear though, I'll rarely if ever listen to either band 'seriously'.

They are one of the fastest playing bands I have ever heard. Great metal awesomeness. Although repetitive they still are great. MAybe the next album will have some new goodies.
A lot of people who play MMORPGS like dragonforce cuz of the whole battle influenced lyrics that seem to also never change. I could come up with some better lyrics I think.

Back