drastic changes coastline bink vs. E3-2004

I think they are the same place. I actually prefer the e3 2003 layout, as it seemed much more realistic but anyway. In the PC Zone playtest, it mentions that they got to play the part where you crash through the window in that map. So perhaps they've kept some of the old features, but changed other parts. Or it could be a different place.....but the location of the landmarks such as the water and the bridge suggest that they are the same.

here's my therory, basically you have to get in the crane to close that bridge somehow (maybe use a big box to knock it down, and then you can get in your buggy, and, in the same way as in E3 2003, you can drive up and to that big warehouse where you then crash through the window 2003 stylee, which then leads ontot the road where you encounter the rollermines, which then leads to the combine blockade/roadblock

Its plainly the Same place. If you were going to reuse a map later you would change the background. Or your going to get an awful lot of Deja Vu playing that twice :).

OR PERHAPS.....you go back in time, or to an alternate dimension where it's different. That would explain it....

Discussion of the beta should be banned, even if its about trivial things such as filenames. I know most people realise its wrong when they post but allowing them to do so only helps make the downloading of leaked games more socially acceptable.

HL2.net mods, please start deleting posts of this kind, thank you.

UKchaos said:
Discussion of the beta should be banned, even if its about trivial things such as filenames. I know most people realise its wrong when they post but allowing them to do so only helps make the downloading of leaked games more socially acceptable.

HL2.net mods, please start deleting posts of this kind, thank you.

Whats so wrong with talking about history? Especially when it is no spoiler.

I see where you're coming from - but I have already pre-ordered my copy, I've never posted any spoilers, and I only downloaded it after this year's E3 presentation.

I'll remove the post myself if it's a problem.

Whats so wrong with talking about history? Especially when it is no spoiler.

If the biggest, (practically 'official') hl2 fan site lets you talk about it, then it becomes a legitimate subject. Plus, If people pick up scraps of information pertaining to the beta then they become more intrigued and they are only encouraged to download it themselves. It has nothing to do with 'history' or 'spoiling', its illegal and damaging to Valve.

Also i want to point out that owning a hl2 preorder doesnt change anything.

We're allowed to talk about the beta, UKchaos doesn't run this site nor does he moderate it.

*thankgod*

im going to put this all to rest...

They are both the same "base" of a map, same general landscape and layout. The only changes are in some building placements and stuff.

In the beta (not mentioning filenames or map names), there was a map FOR e3-2003, and a map that was meant for actual gameplay. The map shown at e3-2004 was the actual gameplay map, its exactly the same with some minor differences (which make a huge difference in the end, dont get me wrong). The e3-2003 map in the beta was used at e3-2003.

Looks like Valve just wanted to show some actual gameplay this time around, and that is awesome in my book :)

We're allowed to talk about the beta, UKchaos doesn't run this site nor does he moderate it.

Thank you for telling everyone what they already knew. Why dont you tell us whats wrong with my suggestion instead?

This is a site which wants to support Valve as much as possible, right? Why shouldnt that include a ban on the discussion of illegal and illegimate material.

Also, while we are on the subject of things that should be banned can we keep trolling posts like vetebulle's to a minimum plz.

vetebulle said:
Hold your breath people, I have another amazing discovery!

Take a look at this picture...

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload5/barrel1.gif

Doesn't look particularly special...

But, now, take a look at this picture, from this years E3.

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload5/barrel.gif

I must be on to something... I mean, I guess they could be using a prefab barrel, but that doesn't seem likely at all. This smells fishy...

Don't be idiotic.

Unless VAlve have made it so the game is one same area as another, the maps are the same area, just changed.

Why do people find this so difficult to believe. What the hell do you think Valve have been doing for a year?

People who downloaded the leaked version should be banned from Steam for all eternity.

Feath said:
Don't be idiotic.

Unless VAlve have made it so the game is one same area as another, the maps are the same area, just changed.

Why do people find this so difficult to believe. What the hell do you think Valve have been doing for a year?

I think it's called sarcasm. :upstare:

volume said:
I think it's called sarcasm. :upstare:

I know it was sarcasm, But I thought he was taking the piss out of the entire argument.

Ie. Using his sarcastic thing to say that the real argument was pointless.

I'm tired, leave me alone.

UKchaos said:
If the biggest, (practically 'official') hl2 fan site lets you talk about it, then it becomes a legitimate subject. Plus, If people pick up scraps of information pertaining to the beta then they become more intrigued and they are only encouraged to download it themselves. It has nothing to do with 'history' or 'spoiling', its illegal and damaging to Valve.

Also i want to point out that owning a hl2 preorder doesnt change anything.

Then they download it them selves? And then what? What's done is done. The leak has almost nothing common with the final game. Just don't worry about it. If you don't like it then don't look at it. It's just that simple.

UKchaos said:
This is a site which wants to support Valve as much as possible, right? Why shouldnt that include a ban on the discussion of illegal and illegimate material.

Discussion can NEVER be illegal, only in communism.
This leak case is just HISTORY, nothing more. It happened a very long time ago.

You are starting to be way too idiotic, please stop.

I have not downloaded the "beta" nor do I intend to. But I dont appose the idea of talking about it so long as no one spoils anything..

I mean, I have allready read spoilers concerning maps from the latest videos from E3 on the steam forums. Kind of VERY FRICKIN IRRITATING might I add....

Sorry, off on a tangent there......

I don't see the problem discussing the hacked HL2 and why it should not be in one of the biggest fans sites. The common opinion here is that it was a sadly and stupid thing and now one at sence would promote others to try it.
I do though see the problem that other people gets a wrong site at HL2 when people in here discuss the hacked HL2, but I don't think it's worringly bad.

By the way: Ha ha Vetebulle! You got a point :p

I think the Beta should be handled like the Franco-Prusian war:
"Never speak of it,think of it always"-French minister whose name escapes me.

Back to the topic(Hint) its obviously the same docks however the 2k3 E3 map had that ramp so luckily placed to allow the buggy to keep moveing and not have to fart about with cranes and what not.
The need for fluidity and viewer concentration on the buggy and manatee is obvious as when the Manatee starts shooting at Gordon,where are the combine?The AI would have moved them to where they could assist it however that video was scripted for the single purpose.
Now the 2k4 video is the nearly or finished product with hectic antlions and combine soldiers and no manatee.Also it has a more realistic method of getting the buggy off the sea bed instead of the fortunate ramp.Also there are the general touch ups.

Thats my idea,no doubt im wrong on a few counts but hell what does it matter.

The bridge is deffinetly similar, but the buildings you metnion are diffinetly completly diffiernet parts of the map. I do distinctly remember that the magazines played through the area shown in the E3 2003 video (driving up a ramp..then later through a glass window...jump a gap in a bridge???) meaning that it wasn't cut or dramatically altered.
Regardless of similarities, the magazine articles played the 2003 E3 buggy section.

phantomdesign said:
Regardless of similarities, the magazine articles played the 2003 E3 buggy section.

Erm, I don't think they did, because they talk about a Crane which wasn't in the 2003 E3 video.

Asus said:
Just so you guys can see what resemblances he was refering to.
E3 2004, he came in close the water's edge and low in on the docks.
E3 2003, he came in farther away from the water with distance between him and the ship.
Take note of that when looking at the perspective the player has between different 2003 and 2004.
This post was brought to you by the Banana Phone song.

thanks Asus you've got my point...you did miss the one picture I mentioned though(pic 3)...here's some more comparison shots:

Anyone else think they stepped back the detail on some things and raised the detail on other things? Those jagged rocks grouped together sticking up out of the earth look more detailed on the old video, on the new one they are smoothed out and less detailed... I know its doesn't change the gameplay but thats just an example. I guess part of the optimization process?

Anyone else think they stepped back the detail on some things and raised the detail on other things? Those jagged rocks grouped together sticking up out of the earth look more detailed on the old video, on the new one they are smoothed out and less detailed... I know its doesn't change the gameplay but thats just an example. I guess part of the optimization process?

I think that ther's a huge difference of the vid quality. 2k3 is the fine BINK and the 2k4 is the shitty QuickTime. It would be sad if the tuned down eye candy!

According to the toppic the 2k4 vid the player races into the harbor from a different angle than 2k3. I would conclude that it's the same areas but recorded from differnt areas and angles. Don't knos if this has been said before.

I excuse for evnt. bad spelling - me getting tirred...

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:
thanks Asus you've got my point...you did miss the one picture I mentioned though(pic 3)...here's some more comparison shots:
That's very convincing.

I believe that the game will allow you to approach a certain level in many different ways. (I think) for example, it's going to be like you first get to try it out from E3 2003's position and if you fail or die, then you get to try out from another location (say the E3 2004 one).

Great.. my posts was deleted but everyone else just continues to talk about the beta? >_>

And to think I was the only one that posted solid valid information :/

Plot, character, weapon, gameplay or creature spoilers are a no-no. Other things are a grey area.

IIRC.

The only thing I said that might be remotely a spoiler was how of how many maps the coast chapter consisted of in the beta ;_;

quote:Discussion can NEVER be illegal, only in communism.

it's totalitarianism, not communism, dummy :)

if the new e3 vid shows the guy approaching from another angle, means that we'll be able to take plenty of groovy routes to get to places, which means there will be more replayability, we'll be able to play the game 3 times over and take different routes to make it funner.

I really hope someone makes a mod for the manipulator where you can pick up combine by a leg and swing them into other combine. That'd be awesome

Sparta said:
I really hope someone makes a mod for the manipulator where you can pick up combine by a leg and swing them into other combine. That'd be awesome

I'm sure all you'd need to do is make a map where the Combine are 'tagged' to be affected by ragdoll with either of the two gravity weapons, then just add the physgun in instead of the manipulator (I'm sure it's still in the game resources somewhere, they wouldn't just make it, show it off then completely wipe it from the game package).

groovy said:
quote:Discussion can NEVER be illegal, only in communism.

it's totalitarianism, not communism, dummy :)

if the new e3 vid shows the guy approaching from another angle, means that we'll be able to take plenty of groovy routes to get to places, which means there will be more replayability, we'll be able to play the game 3 times over and take different routes to make it funner.

totalira...
totilari...
totalitani...
totalitaritori...
totaltartarism...
totartalirasins...

Ah, damn :D

Actually, the "beta" has another route into that map...
That can mean 3 things:
1) You are right, and there are many different routes.
2) They thought that the original route was too boring for the demonstration, and they put the e3 starting point to a location which was more interesting, but its not the level entry location.
3) They have changed the level entry location since the leaked build of the map.

I vote for no. 2...

Back