Driver: San Francisco

TwwIX

Tank
Reaction score
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/single-player-driver-san/717459

I know that it's been announced a while ago but i haven't been paying much attention to it thanks the bad after taste that was left over from the more recent titles.
Could this redeem the Driver franchise?. I am just glad that its main focus is driving again. It looks like fun judging from that footage. It reminds of a lot of the high speed chases from the original two games. I am not sure what to think of the "Shift" feature though. I just hope that is optional and that it doesn't end up forcing you to use it at every chance it gets.

The "shift" feature is basically an excuse to let you take any vehicle you want without having to go on foot GTA style.

The "shift" feature is basically an excuse to let you take any vehicle you want without having to go on foot GTA style.

I know. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you have complete control over it.

the shift wasnt mentioned in the last showings so there is hope

I actually laughed out loud. Ubi entertains me more than Activision.

The pirate version won't require a permanent connection, good for them.

...wait, why do they put DRM in games?

Defending the DRM, Ubisoft said, "Bear in mind though that the PC version of DRVSF is released simultaneously to consoles."

The consoles will have a PC version?

So now we should be pleased just for the PC to be getting a simultaneous release to the Almighty Console Version?

I'd boycott Ubisoft if they actually made anything worth buying in the first place.

Never really liked the Driver games, the felt so glitchy and disconnected

I hate to admit because of my disdain for Ubisoft but this game turned out to be a lot of fun. I was worried about the "Shift" feature but it's quite seamless and a blast to use. For example, you can "Shift" into a cop car and start chasing down criminals, or simply hop into any car then ram a cop to start a chase. It results in some exciting chases. You can "Shift" into oncoming traffic and direct those cars into your opponents. The game also has interactive passengers in the game. Every time you enter a car with a passenger they'll start responding to you according to your driving. They will berate you, some will egg you on and others just start completely panicking. Every car has a modeled interior with working gauges and all. Attention to detail like this is always appreciated.

All of the cars are licensed and there's plenty of them. More unlock along with sections of the city as you progress through the game. It's even more sandboxy than the original games. You now got activities and plenty of side missions to keep you busy and entertained. You can zoom out to view the city and hover above it. It's basically an interactive map. Anyway. These activities range from races to chases to various other such as performing stunts to side missions that are intertwined with the main storyline. By completing these activities and side missions you gain experience/money. You also unlock more cars and upgrades for your abilities which you then can buy at a garage. Yes, there a couple of abilities that you unlock through your progression but they are merely tools for certain situations and i only occasionally use them. You have to suspend your disbelief. The game takes place in Tanner's coma after all. One is ram ability that you charge up once you get close enough to a car and the other one is basically a NOS booster.

Anyway. As with most driving games these days, there's a radio that you can listed to in every car. The music that they've picked really fits the theme of the game. It's not just a jumbled mess of random genres. A lot of funk and soul. I sometimes feel like in a 60's car chase movie. Bullit comes to mind. There's even side missions that take you back to that era. Cars and everything. All of the abilities, including Shift, are disabled. Another nice addition for those of us with nostalgia. Overall, it's a very fun game. As a fan of the original two games, i pleasantly surprised. If you are a fan of the original Driver or games like the Burnout series, you should not be disappointed.

Back