Driving Vehicles

James Isaac

Reaction score
I just realised something... why don't you see gordon's hands on a veicle's steering wheel when you drive it? as if it's a weapon? That would make it more realistic.

And also, if you look down at the pedals in a car, will they just be moving on their own?

I don't believe that you will be able to look at the pedals. As for the hands this has been discussed to death really - sorry don't mean to be rude, it is, indeed, a legitimate question. It's just a been brought up numerous times.

Gabe said that they did it to be more realistic as you don't really see your own hands when you drive, or something to that effect.

You won't see hands on the wheel. Gordon drives underhanded. :)

i think the fact the driving is so awesome will be god enough, putting hands on the wheels could prove tricky, especially of the variety of vehicles we shall hopefully be seeing. Different shaped wheels could get confusing.

It's 'cause Valve made it so you are gordon... You don't see/hear him for this reason.. because you are him :)

Rubbish. You see Gordon's hands holding, firing and reloading guns.

It's just complex arranging the animations for there to be hands on the wheel.

I guarantee that someone wil mod it in though.

Gordon drives with his knees.

I'm worried about the forced first-person perspective. It's insane trying to drive UT2004 vehicles like that, so I hope gabe and the boys have some tricks up their sleeves or HL2 driving will be a nightmare. :(

The driving in HL2 looks more smooth than most games. I don't think there will be any 3rd person views because it would take away the "You are Gordon Freeman" feeling. They might put hands on it later. If not, it will most likely be modded in.

i agree, they would never put a 3rd person in, would go against everyhting else they said. As for the modding there are already hundreds in the works never mind what'll happen when it finally gets released.

The thing about the driving that blows me away is the realism of it. They have it all physically simulated so we shall see some quality driving tricks possible. I can't wait the modders to have a go with that, the possiblities are pretty exciting.

Gordon drives with his knees.

I'm worried about the forced first-person perspective. It's insane trying to drive UT2004 vehicles like that, so I hope gabe and the boys have some tricks up their sleeves or HL2 driving will be a nightmare.
The only 3rd person driving that I like is GTA 3. With hte current HL2 driving scheme (you can look around with mouse, drive with the keyboard (or joystick) at the same time....I don't think there will be any complaints.

3rd person isn't very realistic anyways.

Yeah i wish they put the hands on the wheel. If any of you guys have played Grand Prix 2 and 3 you know how much better the hands on the wheel is.

I always drive vehicles 3rd person in BF1942, UT2004 and Far Cry. I think it just looks cooler and i find it easier.

I don't care about hands on the wheel, but the hoverboat thingy with the bike handles...that looks kinda silly without hands.

Yeah, true. But that would be sort of a pain to animate as well tipping hands forwards and backwards.

ignoring how difficult it may or may not be i frankly am not bothered, it may look good but then how does he use the gun? actually i reckon it's his HEV suit but that's another matter...

The cool thing is the way it works and what we shall do with the vehicles not some minor graphical details which doesn't help.

As for the whining about 3rd person persepctive, get over it, the game is based from gordon freeman's point of view, as soon as you take it away from that you screw up that idea.

Gabe said a while ago 'you cant/dont see your hands while your driving', and im willing to bet thats an excuse for lowering poly count.

same reason why you don't have a steering wheel in bf1942, it's just a waste of space and trying to make it all look pretty with the hands on the steering wheel. it doesn't really make a difference if there's hands on the wheelk or not, i mean look atthe games like stunts and street rod 2, they never had hands on the wheel

Just think to yourself "My hands aren't on the steering wheel but their on the keyboard so good enough" :)

good point rossell, nothing worse than running around a keyboard and mouse, reloading it and shit :p, god that'd bea bloody laugh, mice are grenades and depending which buttons you press on the keyboard, one is a missile, other machine gun. BLOODY HELL! WHAT A GOOD IDEA, somebody get making some keyboard skins :D

Are you really going to be noticing no hands on the wheel during a section like we've seen in the e3 presentation? I'll be too busy mowing down Combine and Ant Lions, to be honest.

I like the 'no-hands',it makes that ''you r gordon'' vibe alot stronger
and i think it wuld look silly if u saw his orange HEV cuffs driving a vehicle lol

It's all about immersion, personally I'm all for it. I think it suits the mood of the original that way (you never saw yourself push buttons or crates in the original).

it's just one of those FPS conventions you don't see your hands move unless you're reloading or something, or if you're in 3rd person view (eg. Jedi Knight) then you see a hand move a bit, but that's just about it.

Even if they did mod it in, I wouldn't bother downloading a mod for that purpose.

Although if an already awesome mod came with the hands on the wheel, I wouldn't be mad, I'd definetly download.

its doesnt really matter now does it...hands...no hands...hands.......no hands...

hands...no hands.....legs...no legs...

wayne white said:
also when the buggy tip sideways i noticed his head stays upright.

Maybe he just tilts his head/upper boddy when driving on a slope, that's what i do.

There is one way they could have done this:

Make it so the arms are part of the vehicle. So when u get in your hands appear. This way when your view moves and u get shunted the arms will stay holding the wheel but your view will still shake.

Only problem with this is having to include and change the arms for every mod someone wants to make. not very practical so I agree with why they arent included.

If hands would show then the rest of the body would ahve to be done too, because those hands gotta end somewhere, you know. And having a body while driving a car would mean that you had a visible body at other times too, otherwise it wouldnt make any sense (suddenly a body appearing while entering a car).

So adding those hands would create an insane amount of work, animations while entering different kinds of vehicles etc. It´s just not worth it.

Of course it would be cool :)

they could easly put in hands HL rally did it for the half life 1 engine

marty905 said:
they could easly put in hands HL rally did it for the half life 1 engine

Who the hell thinks they didn't because "It was hard to do"...? I'll bet you $10 they put it in and later decided they didn't like it -- For obvious reasons. Stop trying to get a Duke Nukem clone :p

Back