Drugs and Music

Absinthe

The Freeman
Reaction score
The purpose of this topic is two-fold. Firstly, what opinions or thoughts do you have regarding the interactions between the two, and secondly (to those who apply) what kind of music do you listen to while under the influence?

Ignoring many of the anachronistic views from the past in which drug-influenced music was a tool of the devil, moral decay, or brainwashing, there is the widely held view (even if reluctantly) that it has produced some very profound and genre-changing music. For instance, you have a prime example in the Beatles. You had some very poppy, catchy, popular songs in their early onset. And they could have arguably coasted on this alone. But it was with their drug experimentation that their music began to encompass a far broader range of melody, texture, and lyrical thought. Their very production techniques, which ranged from the "nifty" to the absurd, were absolutely key elements in the development of their sound. It's quite acceptable to believe that very sound they produced influenced even ****ing Bob Dylan. Hell, the entire gamut of 60's music of drug-fueled ecstasy came up with some of the most memorable acts in the history of music and have heavily influenced it to this day.

Note that I am neither a Beatles fan nor a Dylan fan. I could personally care less about them. But I can still acknowledge and respect their contributions. And if anybody were to compare the Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand" with "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", there would be no contest as to which one would be decided as the better-crafted, thought-provoking, and overall better song.

That said, there is no doubt that a lot of pretentious, vacuous crap has also been produced. But the results of these chemical-human collaborations aside, there is the argument that despite the quality of these works, they cannot be considered wholly owned by the artists themselves. The retrospective dependency on these substances means that a good deal of the music itself is owed more to the substances themselves than to artists in sober states of mind. In essence, they are a form of less legitimate musical output because of the methods that were used to achieve them. And as nice as it may sound, the artists cannot take full credit.

Now, anybody who has read my posts regarding drug-related topics probably knows that I am a drug user, and you could probably have easily guessed that I partake in subjecting myself wholly to musical experiences while under the influence. And as an amateur musician, I have also experimented heavily with the production of music under such circumstances as well. I personally think the argument of "drug music" being less legitimate is preposterous. Such substances rarely, if ever, supplant or intrude ideas into the human consciousness. They can manipulate, extrapolate, or blow things out of proportion. But the origins of these fantasies and epiphanies are grounded solely in the mind. Personally, I have yet to have an experience that I found had no relationship to whatever personal feeling, memory, or mindset I had already or previously had. They are newfound expressions, paradigm shifts, or simply revisits to once-familiar territory. With my own work, I've never felt that one method (sober or intoxicated) was more "real" than the other, but that they were different facets of my own thoughts and ego. And from a more visceral standpoint, there are quite a few songs from select artists that I find enhanced while under the influence.
Do not confuse this with a declaration that "drug music" is more deep or better than pieces conducted under pristine sobriety. Nor do I really expect a lot of opposition to the idea of it. But quite a few previous personal encounters, as well as my own curiosity, made me feel it was a topic worth bringing up. I was merely wondering how strong the consensus is on wether or not such music was legitimate.

Now for the second part.

The following is a selection of tracks that I've found most resonant in my experiences. These are not fully comprehensive lists, as there are dozens (if not hundreds) of songs I prefer to listen to in such states, and because I wish not to bore you with endless columns of tracks you will never bother to download or purchase.

DXM, Ketamine
One would think that listening to music on substances that disconnect your from reality and external stimuli would be a pointless exercise in futility, but it is not. If anything, your sheer biology will synchronize with the rhythms. Automatic physical compulsions and twitches that seem to drive your body on a deceptively instinctual basis with either ebbs and flows or mechanical precision are what I prefer with dissociatives. Favella beats are positively orgasmic.

"Dial" by Autechre
"Uviol" by Autechre
"Gantz Graf" by Autechre
"Backdoor.Netshadow" by AFX
"F Train" by Squarepusher (as quoted in my signature)
"Kill Robok" by Squarepusher
"Basefree" by Boards of Canada

Shrooms, Acid, Salvia
Remember Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas? Remember Duke's lovely Samoan attorney? Remember how he begged Duke to throw the radio into the bathtub (containing his half-submerged body) right when "White Rabbit" peaked? While I won't go as far as to embrace suicide, the essence of such an experience is what I aim to capture. The tracks that build up to their crescendos. The peak that you wish would play for eternity, but can't due to human constraints. And when the wave breaks, a soft, cushy landing is usually appropriate. But even repetition is acceptable if its very tonality or timbre has that "sparkling" quality of perpetually coming into resolution.

"Recury" by Autechre
"Cichli" by Autechre
"Plotinus" by Squarepusher
"Rhubarb" by Aphex Twin
"Alberto Basalm" by Aphex Twin
"An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno
"El Wraith" by Amon Tobin

Alcohol
You're shitfaced drunk... Shit, I guess you'll listen to anything if it doesn't make you puke. The aim here is to find something that strikes the right balance between activity and its absence. You don't wanna pass out or let your mind get distracted by the thought of hurling chunks, but you don't want to overload your brain. If I can follow a beat on it, it's good game.

"Iced Cooly" by Boards of Canada
"Seeya Later" by Boards of Canada
"Plaistow Flex Out" Squarepusher
"Quixote" by Polygon Window
"Cordialatron" by Caustic Window
"We Are The Music Makers" by Aphex Twin
"Mag" by Gescom

Cannabis
Hell, anything mellowed and chill.

"Left Side Drive" by Boards of Canada
"Triangles & Rhombuses" by Boards of Canada
"Xtal" by Aphex Twin
"Hexagon" by Aphex Twin"
"Mouse Lounge" by Schoolly D
"Slowly" by Amon Tobin
"Deo" by Amon Tobin

I agree wholly that musicians under the influence produce better music. There are always the crap musicians that will always make crap music, but in the right hands, drugs can make all the difference. A perfect example can be taken from NIN. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are highly regarded as the best albums from Trent, while With Teeth, after he became sober, is regarded by many as his worst album. Whether the substances has anything to do with this, one can't deny the connection of drugs and the disconnection of sound.

great thread. i havent consumed any substance of particular interest while listening to music, but i've been shitfaced quite some times. i prefer making music rather than listening to music when i'm drunk, it's mostly a removal of the "taste police", the barrier that constitutes what you think is good music and not. i love doing crazy sounding stuff, chromatic/atonal, i dont really care which note that comes after the first, etc. when it comes to listening, i like autechre, but mostly i listen to 60's rock and various stuff because of the company i'm in.

60's drug music rules.

admitedly I have tried DXM, ritalin and weed. On all of these substances I have listened to music, because it's something I just do every day, it's what I'm used to doing and it makes life interesting. On DXM I was listenening to Pink Floyd, the music was happening all around me and I was part of the music, the music was everything going on in the world. On ritalin I listened to Metallica because of it's speed and hardness. I was with my mates an we were all talking to each other, everyone seemed so much cooler and I had so much energy. Last but certainly not least marijuana, music seems to go slower on weed and i like listening to happy tunes such as the beatles and Jefferson Airplane, just as long as the songs arent going to fast in which case I find my brain cant keep up.

Drug influenced music is brilliant, all of my favourite music was written under the influence of drugs tbh.

Yeah, DXM gives that quality of having the world enveloped by the music. Both immediate and oddly distant.

I think its the effects of after your done on the drug and you crave more that drives this.
Personally, I don't like music that is to unfocused, it draws me into a depressed state, which I already have enough of.
Its probably just a personal taste

When on certain stimulants, Conejo's beats just TOY with your mind. I swear to god. Especially the one on my profile on myspace right now (as of this date, might change later. the link is in my sig)

search for more conejo on myspace music if you like the trippy type of beats there are tons of profiles and all different songs

Getting stoned and listening to Pink Floyd doesn't really do it for me, I think its far too a cliche thing to do. When I'm pretty baked I want to listen to something that's going to blow my mind, something like DRAGONFORCE.

Dragonforce is pretty insane. I don't care for 'em, but I'd probably take something like Speed if I were to attend an act.

I agree wholly that musicians under the influence produce better music. There are always the crap musicians that will always make crap music, but in the right hands, drugs can make all the difference. A perfect example can be taken from NIN. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are highly regarded as the best albums from Trent, while With Teeth, after he became sober, is regarded by many as his worst album. Whether the substances has anything to do with this, one can't deny the connection of drugs and the disconnection of sound.
What he said.

Getting stoned and listening to Pink Floyd doesn't really do it for me, I think its far too a cliche thing to do. When I'm pretty baked I want to listen to something that's going to blow my mind, something like DRAGONFORCE.

I don't think you could've picked a worse band, dragon force doesn't have half the lyrical insight of a roger waters...or even david Gilmour. The reason so many people pick Pink Floyd is because their lyrics are just as emotional and thought provocing as their music. Very few artists can make that claim.

I don't think you could've picked a worse band, dragon force doesn't have half the lyrical insight of a roger waters...or even david Gilmour. The reason so many people pick Pink Floyd is because their lyrics are just as emotional and thought provocing as their music. Very few artists can make that claim.
Did I state anywhere that Dragonforce were superior to Pink Floyd in terms of lyrics? It was a joke, I don't even listen to Dragonforce regularly and I love Pink Floyd, yet I still find it boring and cliche to get stoned and listen to them.

I'd rather much listen to something that would either make me piss myself laughing or would send my head into over drive, hence Dragonforce!

I think that drug-influenced music can be either amazing or bad. In the hands of someone very good at what they do, where their instrument/programs/synths are second nature to them, just an extension of their creative mind that they can manipulate to exactly what they're feeling, then drugs + music is a potentially mindblowing combination.

On the other hand, there are also horrible musicians who make terrible music and when they're on drugs it's just worse.

In my opinion the psychedelic experience is very conducive to a better understanding of music as an experience in itself, and also can have some seriously weird, cool influences to boot, so I think generally it's a positive thing.

When I'm under the influence, I generally listen to whatever I feel like listening to, and there's not really a pattern. Cannabis especially, because I can deal with anything there and it's not too weird (IE squarepusher). Shrooms or acid (I primarily do mushrooms), I stick to either really intense, amazing stuff (Hendrix) or relaxed, chill electronica (BoC, SAWII, etc). I agree with the rising crescendo thing... it vaults me into levels of intensity I can't describe.

I don't like DXM, because the physical side-effects are too uncomfortable for me, but generally I will listen to whatever, because it's such a weird thing anyway that the music doesn't matter. Ketamine I plan on experimenting with.

In my past experiences with stimulants of various types, I listen to anything fast that I can just hear and kind of get pumped by, or something really intense if I'm coming down (NIN is a favorite).

Salvia I usually either don't listen to anything or I put on the most relaxed ambient I can find (5-9-78 by BoC, or something from SAWII), because the experience is crazy enough without music.

By the way, I don't and never will do drugs, and all of that was a lie.

Did I state anywhere that Dragonforce were superior to Pink Floyd in terms of lyrics? It was a joke, I don't even listen to Dragonforce regularly and I love Pink Floyd, yet I still find it boring and cliche to get stoned and listen to them.

I'd rather much listen to something that would either make me piss myself laughing or would send my head into over drive, hence Dragonforce!

My Bad, I was only giving my opinion, but i do know a large group of people who would much rather listen to dragonforce and it completely boggles my mind.

Anyway, Ennui, I've found that on Salvia, music is much less interesting then when I'm sober. The last time I did it, I asked my friend to put on Always crashing in the same car (a song I love) and got absolutely nothing out of it.

Listening to music under the influence of drugs can be great.

DXM is the ultimate music drug imo. The drug "cuts" the links between your right and left brain half which leads to a extremely spacy music experience. Its like Dolby Surround^10.

Good music on shrooms = heaven on earth. can make you cry.

Marihuana is a good music enhancer in general.

Dancing on E's = wow. You are not only listener. You are the music.

I dont do grugs anymore tho except alcohol and marijuana. The other stuff was part of my youth experiences. Kids dont do it! :dork:

You seem to listen to a lot of IDM. I like it too. Boards of Canada is great.

I got a few recommendations for you. Good electronic psychedelic trip music:

SA Fred
Bad Loop
Mosaik
Freeworms
Hallucinogen
Xerxes
Shpongle (most psychedelic music evr!)!

Others: Orbital, Entheogenic, Polar, Ott, Loop Guru, Beaumont Hannant, X.i.S., Nada, Ooze, FSOL, Faithless, Christ (pylonesque EP) etc.

I listened to jesu whilst at some party with cannabis. I just found myself loudly exclaiming parts of the songs to the people around me (''Hear that? Yeah, that was epic.'' ''What he did with the vocals then? Christ on a bike, INSANE!'')

... but then, that's the same when drunk, too. I have never really tryed to experiment with drugs and music much, I can't say it intrests me alot but whatever.

i was listening to love burns by brmc whilst on ketamine and it was a very beautiful experience. we thought we were in an auditorium

There is NO mention of David Bowie in this thread! I am distraught.

The whole of Aladdin Sane is like... wow.

My Bad, I was only giving my opinion, but i do know a large group of people who would much rather listen to dragonforce and it completely boggles my mind.

Pink Floyd and Dragonforce are two different genres of music. I like them both, but comparing them is a little pointless. Different styles appeal to different people. Personally, I listen to music for the sake of enjoying it as is. I've never tried any sort of drug, and I prefer to stay that way.

Depending on the drug, the music will be better, heroin or meth however, will always produce shittier music

As for the whole listening to drugs while under the influence, you could listen to Hannah Montana while stoned and it would sound just as amazing as anything else

Dalamari does have a point there.

The Beatles took a whole load of drugs while playing a lot of their songs did they not?

Trent Reznor said:
I said I couldn't be creative without (drugs), really, I was afraid to give up drugs. Once I did, once my brain started working again, it dawned on me that I didn't turn to drugs for creativity - I just tried to make myself feel not so terrible about myself. That's why I did it. In the end, the drugs were crippling. They killed any bit of art that I had in me.
Source

People like to use Trent as an example while he says the exact opposite.
There are a hell of a lot more factors contributing to the music he made back then and the music he makes now, to just say it was the drugs is ignornant (No offense).

He is most definately more social then he was before, before his life was practically sitting in a morbid place writing music, now he has more friends and possibly a girlfriend? (I can't remember)

Drugs can obviously spark something different as Absinthe said, but hard drugs **** you up. Would you want to be ****ed up and make some good music? I wouldn't.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think drugs were monumental in the creation and evolution of rock and roll. I'm not talking injectibles here, I'm talking about recreational drugs that let people with already creative minds take their art to new levels.

OMG DRUG THREAD

Just kidding.

A lot of my favorite artists use drugs in the making of their music, so yeah.

I don't use drugs, myself. Never will.

Then clearly you'll never make good music.

Tongue by REM on pills. You'll want to melt with joy.

But yeh, drugs are bad, don't do them!

As for the whole listening to drugs while under the influence, you could listen to Hannah Montana while stoned and it would sound just as amazing as anything else

How often do you find yourself putting your ear to dimebags?

In any case, you are right that the drug in question tends to affect the perception of music in general's quality. But this topic (which has been risen from the dead for unknown reasons) was more about songs or artists that rise above the others depending on the substance.

I could listen to NIN on DXM and enjoy it, but it doesn't approach Autechre. Autechre feels more appropriate, it interplays with substance more wildly. It's just fits better than a lot of other artists.

In relation to this thread, the last post in the music thread included two tracks I did last night while under the influence of MJ

I think you know what he meant, Ennui. No need to get smart.

Not the most intelligent thing to say, but there's no need to challenge him (yes, you are provoking him further by calling his statement false and unfounded) by getting smart when you knew perfectly well what he meant. If I were you and really wanted to respond I'd just roll my eyes.

I thought he he meant that "artists on drugs don't last long in popularity," so obviously many different meanings could have developed from such a vague sentence. Don't be a douche, Veg. You've had a "bash Ennui" hard on for quite awhile; isn't it getting old?

You still can't deny what the facts on their say.

I thought he he meant that "artists on drugs don't last long in popularity," so obviously many different meanings could have developed from such a vague sentence. Don't be a douche, Veg. You've had a "bash Ennui" hard on for quite awhile; isn't it getting old?
I'm not trying to be a douche and I'm not trying to bash Ennui. Apologies. I'm merely stating that I don't think it was a very good way of reacting to what golden_fang said. I honestly don't feel like starting another fight, like you assumed. Let alone a fight with Ennui ;)

This has been the case of many psychology experiments. There are three possible scenarios:

1. Listening to certain music is strongly correlated with drug use.
2. Doing drugs is strongly correlated to listening to certain music.
3. Some other external factor causes both to be correlated.

You cannot truly imply causation in any case based solely on statistics (correlation does not imply causation). Causation can only be implied with experimentation.

Back