Dual Channel RAM

VirusType2

Reaction score
Hey.

I bought my PC and it came with 512MB of RAM. I bought another stick of 512MB RAM and it increased the performance of my system. However, I found out recently that the RAM should be the same brand and same speed. I have noticed many pauses when the game is loading textures, and poor performance related to RAM in the latest games, and I want to replace the RAM.

In my BIOS, it says
512MB
512MB
Ram spec:
400Mhz (not Dual channel)

I suppose that means that my motherboard can support Dual Channel.
I suppose Dual Channel is a particular type of higher performance RAM?

Nowhere in my BIOS did I see anything about overclocking whatsoever. I suppose that means I can't overclock my RAM or CPU?

Is 400 Mhz the fastest RAM that I can use in my PC? Originally, I bought 400MHz ram becuase I saw in the BIOS that the OEM ram was 400 mHz, and I wanted to make sure it was the same type. Is it possible to put faster ram in there? How can I find out the max speed?

If I have 512MB sticks in there, is 1GB sticks a different size slot? If so, then obviously I can't have 2 sticks of 1GB Dual Channel RAM

If this is the case, could I get some help finding a set of Dual Channel 512MB RAM sticks for my PC?

In one way, I want really good RAM, since I will be using this to play the latest games.

In another way, I want cheap but decent Dual Channel RAM for now, since I don't know how long it will be before I decide to replace the motherboard, and I will be making sure my new motherboard will support at least 2GB of RAM, if not more.

I want to get a high end Intel dual core processor in the comming months. I've never browsed the various motherboards available, but I am assuming there are performance advantages to be had with better motherboards.

Do they have motherboards with the CPU already installed? Is that a fair deal? Or is it much cheaper to install the CPU yourself?

I don't know what kind of motherboard I have, and I don't know how to find out. I don't remember the model number of my computer, which makes it pretty hard to look up, though I might be able to dig up some documents or check through my OS if anyone can tell me where to look in WinXP.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning!

There are a couple programs you can download that will tell us/you what your motherboard is. Before we help you with RAM, something i'll glady do, we need to know some specs first, otherwise we are wasting ours & your time. It would appear that you have DDR, so that narrows things down alot, then again, DDR2-3200 runs at 400mhz as well..

I posted a program here in the Forums called: "CPU-Z" but that post seems to have been deleted. So I have posted a link to another site I do Tech Support for. It explains the use of CPU-Z.
http://thegamerssyndicate.com/PHP-Nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54

Another program you can download and run, one which is very user friendly as well as extremely powerful is a program called "Sandra" You'll want to run the system wizard and post the first 2 pages here on the forums for me to review. You'll want to download the "XI.SP1 & XI.SP2"
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

Another way is to run "DxDiag" and copy & paste the first 2 pages of that report as well. Simply click on "START--->RUN & type in "dxdiag" (without quotes) then after it runs the scan, click on the "Save All Information" tab and save it to your desktop. Open and then copy & paste into a post here for me to review. This will tell me the specs of your PC, so I know what i'm working with.

1GB of RAM is the bare minimal for todays applications and games. I cannot advise you strongly enough without actually grabbing you by the shirt and yelling in your face, that you need 2GB of RAM. Anyone that knows a computer from a microwave will tell you the same thing. Once I have the above info, i'll post you info on the best RAM you can get, at least the best RAM IMO.

I have a few errands to run this morning, so chances are i'll not be back until around noon. (It's 7:07am where i'm at PST)Though by then, i'm sure you'll already have a huge amout of info from other members here. If nothing else, the above info will help them as well to help you pick out RAM.

Let us know how everything goes.

-MRG

Download and install CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

It will tell you exactly what motherboard and type of ram you have.

Post that info back here please.

Wow, kickass app.

Here, sorry for the extra borders, I overestimated the size I would need. There are 6 info tiles, might have to scroll (img is 1600x1200)

EDIT: I added an updated image that now shows both RAM modules. One is kingston.

After looking at the specs of your motherboard:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D101GGC/index.htm

And knowing that you wish to upgrade your motherboard and cpu in the near future. I personally recommend that you put off the ram purchase for now. In my opinion you should upgrade the mobo/cpu and ram altogether and avoid buying ram now that can't be used in your next setup. Because this motherboard supports only ddr 400 ram, odds are if you have buying a dual core compatible motherboard you will be buying ddr2 800 ram. Hope that helps!

After looking at the specs of your motherboard:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D101GGC/index.htm

And knowing that you wish to upgrade your motherboard and cpu in the near future. I personally recommend that you put off the ram purchase for now. In my opinion you should upgrade the mobo/cpu and ram altogether and avoid buying ram now that can't be used in your next setup. Because this motherboard supports only ddr 400 ram, odds are if you have buying a dual core compatible motherboard you will be buying ddr2 800 ram. Hope that helps!

OK, so basically, this motherboard doesn't support RAM that is good for the latest games,so there is no point in upgrading the processor, becuase I'll still be stuck with slow ram?

Hope that helps!
Yes, it's been all the help I could ask for. Thank you both very very much.

When I eventually upgrade, I hope you guys are still around. :stare:

If you're planning to get a new core 2 duo cpu, there's barely any option other than getting a new mainboard and ram too.

You have to because your mainboard doesn't support the core 2 duo line anyway. And you'll be needing DDR2 ram, so you can't use the ram you currently have.

Btw pro-tip when you get a new mainboard+cpu+ram, you have to put the ram in slot 1 and 3 to run dual channel mode.

Btw pro-tip when you get a new mainboard+cpu+ram, you have to put the ram in slot 1 and 3 to run dual channel mode.

Good, now I won't have to ask later. :)

Hey, so there are 3 slots on a dual channel board? I guess my BIOS isn't unique for my mobo then, because my mobo only has two RAM slots.

So basically what you are saying is that with a dual channel board, I have an option of running 3 sticks of ram, or 2 sticks of fast ram? Just how beneficial is using your ram in Dual Channel? I mean, it must be pretty good to outwiegh the RAM increase of having another stick of RAM - assuming you can since I don't know the answer to that yet.

It would probably run in dual channel mode if the sets matched just like with only 2 sticks. Although some chipsets have sacrifices having the memory banks full. Athlon 64's used to drop from DDR400 to DDR333 speeds and Intel chipsets increased latency by quite a bit. Not sure how the boards these days handle that issue.

I might just mimic my brother's PC to an extent. He got 4 1GB Ram sticks that were computer matched. he got the processor I want (though there might be a slightly faster one by the time I get mine)

mobo, graphics card Nvidia (probably 8800) I can just copy his. See, computers can be really complicated if you want to get the extreme performance. RAM especially can be very tricky .

Shouldn't you match the RAM speed to the CPU speed? So they are in harmony? That's what overclockers are saying.'

I just want my PC to kick ****in ass, and I don't want to do a lot of research.

I'll try "build the ultimate PC" in google or something :p

I might just mimic my brother's PC to an extent. He got 4 1GB Ram sticks that were computer matched. he got the processor I want (though there might be a slightly faster one by the time I get mine)

mobo, graphics card Nvidia (probably 8800) I can just copy his. See, computers can be really complicated if you want to get the extreme performance. RAM especially can be very tricky .

Shouldn't you match the RAM speed to the CPU speed? So they are in harmony? That's what overclockers are saying.'

I just want my PC to kick ****in ass, and I don't want to do a lot of research.

I'll try "build the ultimate PC" in google or something :p

If you like kicking the asses of people you don't know and brag about your E-penis, money should not be the obstacle.
Rams aren't that tricky if you really look at it.
Let me put it this way for you.
If you're upgrading MB and CPU to socket LGA775 (Intel C2D) or socket AM2 (AMD X2 6000+) the code name is "DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)" is the minimum memory modules those socket MB/CPUs require. If you like to OC you have two options:
1) Keep the minimum ram required OC CPU and over-volt ram and relax timing, which is kind of gets complicated some times.
2) Buy higher than required memory modules like DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) OC and keep everything at their default settings including volts and timing.

Good Luck.

If you plan on some serious overclocking, DONT get 4 dimms for memory. Get either 2x1gb or 2x2gb. 4 dimms put some serious stress on the northbridge and it makes overclocking pretty impossible. I found that out myself.

Can someone explain this dual channel ram thing to me a little clearer.

Lets say if have 2 ram stick of 1GB, and I put one in the first slot and the second in the third slot, so I have dual channel ram.
How much ram will I have then in effect?
Will I have 1gb ram running at twice the speed, or will I have 2GB of ram running at twice the speed?
So in essence does dual channel ram sacrifice space for speed?

Nope you'll have 2gb ram with a higher bandwith (how much higher I don't know) than single channel.

Then why is it, I can't just stick 1 stick in the first slot and the second stick in the second slot. I mean if it's true what you say then I can't image why anyone would want anything else then dual channel ram, and there would be no need for color coding.

You could but you'd be running in single channel mode. There's no advantage in that.

I know, but why didn't the manufacturers made it so that you could do that and still run in dual channel mode, if it clearly has only advantages. Why do I have to put it in the 1st and 3rd slot to make it work why not in any.

Well I'm not a mainboard expert. The slots are a bit like this

|| ||__|| ||
|| ||__|| ||
|| ||__|| ||
|| ||__|| ||
|| ||__|| ||
|| ||__|| ||
1_ 2__1_2
_A____B

A1 + B1 = dual
A2 + B2 = dual
A1 + A2 = single
B1 + B2 = single
A1 + B2 = single
A2 + B1 = single

I know, but why didn't the manufacturers made it so that you could do that and still run in dual channel mode, if it clearly has only advantages. Why do I have to put it in the 1st and 3rd slot to make it work why not in any.

I'm a little familiar with electronics, I'd be willing to bet money on a guess that it's just the way the circuit board is laid out. See, the lines (basically like wires) on the board can't cross each other, so things are put on the circuit board in the most logical way they can.

Re-reading, maybe I answered the wrong question. I'll answer the last sentence in your question here with another educated guess. The answer is that it's not digitally contolled. It's just plugged in, like an electical wall outlet. It has to be plugged into the correct outlet. You wouldn't plug a lamp into an outdoor outlet, and wonder why there is no light inside your house would you?

OK lemme make it as much clear as I can.
Most MB with (Dual Channel) colored memory slots came with 2 memory channels and 2 extended memory channels = four memory slots.
For example: Memory channel A and memory channel B, extended memory channel A2 and extended memory channel B2. which is basically channel A, Channel B and A2 B2 memory slots.
These MB are design to run either 2GB (2X1GB) in channel A1 and channel B1, memory modules in 32bit environment or up to 8GB (4X2GB) in 64Bit environment, to benefit from dual-channel (128bit<->128Bit Vs 64bit<->64bit) Single-channel modules.
Each memory module must be equal in size, timing and speed with the other modules and must be in charge of it's own memory channel to able to send and receive data in 128bit; when only one another module is present.
This however can be overwritten if 3 equally performing module are present then all 2 channel and the 2 sub-channel memory slots will be linked and all modules works the same.

This rule also applies
Channel A = Dimm-A1 and Dimm-A2
Channel B = Dimm-B1 and Dimm-B2

This is also why OC-ing system with 2,4,8 GB memory is much easier than OC-ing system with 3 (3X1GB) memory; because of the extra module in the sub-channel slot.

I don't know what I just said so there you have it.

Good Luck.

Back