DX 8 Water reflection patch.

The_Preacher

Reaction score
ok. this might be old to some of you i dont know. i just found it myself today.

It is in no way associated to me other than the fact i posted a link to it here.

Basically this guy (JoshuaC) has created a Water reflection Patch that allows Water reflections similar to those found on the DX9 codepath.

but hes done it with DX8 wich means those with cards such as Geforce 4 can ahve the pretty water reflections.
here the thread link

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=192821&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

heres some screens to grab your attention to read the thread :thumbs:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

ill let the thread explain the rest.

Hope this isnt old, or helps some of you :thumbs:

thx
Preach

oh i do realise that the screenshots he provided arent exactly the best for showing off the water reflections. but it appears that he got the CS patch working first, and is currently working on the Half life 2 version. so im guessing hell put up some good HL2 shots when he gets the patch done.

Technically this was just a matter of time since all you need for reflective water was already in DX8. All I'm interested about is frame rate though since the reflection was taken out originally from DX8 just because it eats way too much resources...but then again, that's why people like to tweak the s**t out of their computers :)

indeed. but from reports in that thread (i dont actually have HL2 so i cant say personally) but from what i have read in that forum thread on steam forums is, people are experiencing NO frame rate loss at all.

granted hes only completed the Counter strike patch and we all know half life 2 is more resource intensive so that will be the real trick.

But he says in teh thread that the HL2 patch should be released today/Tommorow.

so keep watching this and or the steam thread for updates.

ill post his HL2 screenshots in Direct X 8 mode, when the HL2 patch is released in this forum, so you dont have to go to the steam one if you dont have to.

ahhh.. ive got a Ti4200 128MB, and I already have water like that... :S

Yeah... with my Radeon 9200SE 128 MB it's like that too :p

Well lets just see what he does with the HL2 version sinc the CS version maybe isnt the best way to show off what hes done.

at least theres no performance oss

After all that scandal and conspiracy theory talk about Valve Screwing Nvidia FX owners over, and using 3D analyze to Force DX9 for the pretty Water etc.
i would have thought people would be lapping this up given that you can get the same result but in the Fast performance of DX8 and DX 8.1

sweeet DX9 like water, my comp can barely handle 1024 X 768 with everything high though (the only way to play, medium texture quality kills the look of the game)

well apparently its at little to no performance cost. so you could be ok.

if you have CS:S give it a try. the hl2 version should be out today/tommorow (thats the BIG test) see exactly HOW good his effects are. since his CS:S examples arent staggering

is ther any performance loss though? i am struggling to get decent fps as it is...

The most performance loss reported was a loss of 3-4FPs in water areas.

of course this all depends on the rest of your system. so you may notice no performance loss at all.

Works superbly, very little frame rate loss on my 5700 Ultra & XP2500. This is the HL2 patch.

Seem a shame that valve seems to have prejudiced a certain group of is customers just because of its hardware.

Perfect! Works exactly as advertised. Clearly, either Valve conspired as claimed, or more innocently, they completely ignored NVidia-specific tweaks.

Worked like a dream here, with no noticeable performance loss :D

this is great tweak i still only get like 20 fps or lower on my shitty system but it runs fine

yeh, i made another thread, with all the info in one neat and tidy place for everyone.

if you wanna post/re-post you WOw it works, then do it in the other one lol. people like to read other peoples comments to those who tried it. and this thread is a little UN-neat compared to the other one.
cheers.
Preach

Back