EA caves under pressure. Medal of Honor vs "opposing forces" instead of Taliban

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Responding to the reaction of the "friends and families of fallen soldiers," Electronic Arts today said today they are removing the Taliban as playable characters from their upcoming military shooter Medal of Honor.

The opposing force that the U.S. military take on in Afghanistan in multiplayer bouts is now called the "opposing force."

Medal of Honor came under intense pressure from the military after it became known that in the multiplayer portions of the game, players would be able to take on the role of Taliban fighters.

In early September, the commanding general of the Army and Air Force Exchange Services told Kotaku that he decided to have Medal of Honor pulled from U.S. military bases worldwide because of the "well-documented reports of depictions of Taliban fighters engaging American troops" in the game.

http://kotaku.com/5653024/electronic-arts-buckles-under-pressure-removes-taliban-from-medal-of-honor

That's ridiculous.
It's just a god damned game.

But then again, I'm not surprised at all.
Anything in video games pertaining to events or persons or associations in the real world tends to get flak for no reason.

Besides, shouldn't people who have issues with things like this just ignore the video game in question and move on with their lives?

****ing horseshit!

Besides, shouldn't people who have issues with things like this just ignore the video game in question and move on with their lives?

Complaining about petty shit like this IS their lives.

BS but as long as no real gameplay is changed I don't suppose it will make much a difference.

instead of being grounded in real world events fighting a real enemy you'll be fighting generic muslims

instead of being grounded in real world events fighting a real enemy you'll be fighting generic muslims

"KILL DEM (opposing) RAG HEADS!"

Sheesh, I didnt care much for this game, but this is still rediculous.

i think the only thing that had me interested in this game was the fact they decided to make a bold move and have the taliban forces listed as an actual playable faction both with and against others. not that i want to specifically kill US soldiers or vice vers taliban soldiers, i just liked the idea that they were originally saying ''it's just a game, these are just two opposing teams of polygons'' but now they've gone right back on their word so **** them.

Buncha pusses.

So let me get this straight.

It's fine to play as an American killing Talibans.

But it's not fine to play as a Taliban killing Americans?

God bless whiny idiots, especially when they get their ****ing way..

****ing boo.

Very disapointed in EA, especially after it seemed they were going to stick to thier guns through the whole business.

So let me get this straight.

It's fine to play as an American killing Talibans.

But it's not fine to play as a Taliban killing Americans?

God bless whiny idiots, especially when they get their ****ing way..
Would you want your CHILDREN to be playing a game where they are HITLER burning down ORPHANAGES? GO BACK TO AUSTRALIA YOU COMMUNIST SCUM!

This is weird as hell. So it's OK to be able to play as a nazi soldier in the multiplayer of a lot of games, but not a Taliban? :rolleyes:

Pussies. If I ever get this game I'm just calling the opfor the Taliban all the time anyway. Just like I still call the Rogers Center the Skydome.

Dear Society,

Stop being a ****ing pussy.

Sincerely,

Children's cartoons from 1943.

pkMnG.jpg

hSQ1G.jpg

lHGFs.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Fuehrer's_Face

The film won the 1943 Academy Award for Animated Short Film, and was the only Donald Duck cartoon to win an Oscar.

oh sorry EA, I don't buy games from pussies. Queers.

also, I've seen that Donald duck cartoon, it's really funny :)

So instead of actually playing as the Taliban you're still playing as the Taliban without actually playing as the Taliban?

It's propaganda IN a children's cartoon.

Completely daft. I'm not sure how I feel about them fictionalising the conflict in the first place, but seriously, haven't these guys read any Harry Potter?

I seriously don't get this either. Why is it ok to play as a generic "Terrorist" in Counter-Strike then??? I mean, there's a ****ing GLOBAL WAR ON TERROR going on right now with TERRORISTS killing civilians all over the place. How many innocents were killed all over the world JUST THIS WEEK by TERRORISTS???? Do we not care if the victims are brown-skinned people from third world countries and not our very own dear men and women in uniform?? ****. In GTA how many police officers and other government agents (not to mention innocent bystanders) have been shot and killed by all of us playing as a gang member or mafia type??? Where is the outcry and ban because of all the police officers and government agents killed in the line of duty??? ****.

People should never again wonder why I hate society.

I personally don't have an issue with calling them the Taliban. Everyone knows who the "opposing force" represents anyway... so why bother with a ruse?

On the other hand I can understand why some people who have problems with this... especially if they've lost loved ones to the Taliban.

I seriously don't get this either. Why is it ok to play as a generic "Terrorist" in Counter-Strike then??? I mean, there's a ****ing GLOBAL WAR ON TERROR going on right now with TERRORISTS killing civilians all over the place. How many innocents were killed all over the world JUST THIS WEEK by TERRORISTS???? Do we not care if the victims are brown-skinned people from third world countries and not our very own dear men and women in uniform?? ****. In GTA how many police officers and other government agents (not to mention innocent bystanders) have been shot and killed by all of us playing as a gang member or mafia type??? Where is the outcry and ban because of all the police officers and government agents killed in the line of duty??? ****.

People should never again wonder why I hate society.
Mister Victim, how many PR backpedalings does it take to get to the center of your hate for society?

They can call them whatever they want. It still won't change the fact that this is nothing more than overhyped and generic shooter. You're better off downloading one of those free Korean shooters instead of wasting your money on this turd. Dice should be ashamed of themselves for the multiplayer component of the game.

They can call them whatever they want. It still won't change the fact that this is nothing more than overhyped and generic shooter. You're better off downloading one of those free Korean shooters instead of wasting your money on this turd. Dice should be ashamed of themselves for the multiplayer component of the game.

This is all certainly true. The beta was downright awful, and not even from bugs, the gameplay was just bad all around.

Good thing we can still play as the Taliban in Arma 2!

Seriously though, it's a god damn game. That's it.

I play as the Empire in star wars games, and they commit genocide!

So much hate in this thread.

They're still taliban in all but name, rendering this a completely moot change as far as gameplay, so being put off by this because EA are "pussies" is kind of silly. It's a PR move, nothing more. Why do you think they called them taliban in the first place?

But yeah it does look pretty mediocre anyway.

So much hate in this thread.

They're still taliban in all but name, rendering this a completely moot change as far as gameplay, so being put off by this because EA are "pussies" is kind of silly. It's a PR move, nothing more. Why do you think they called them taliban in the first place?

But yeah it does look pretty mediocre anyway.

Well okay in that case I guess we aren't fighting Taliban in Arma 2... they're Takistani... but everybody knows they're the Taliban.

I would argue that they would have generated more sales as the negative press snowball had gained momentum.

This is a weak move to save some sales. Maybe I don't know enough to say, but it seems to me that the damage has been done, and now nothing good will come of it.

It will be one of those things like "they took the cool stuff out" (regardless if they just changed some text), and will get overlooked at the game store.

Perhaps.

Back