EA Joins Steam

They should make these games cheaper and bring them to Europe through Steam.
:|

This is the end of DRM. Ship has turned.
Eih, hardly. This might be a small symptom of the beginning of the downturn in extremely badly done DRM, possibly...

Steam is still DRM, and quite restrictive in terms of what it does to principles of first sale. What makes it different from other examples of DRM thus far is that it tries to redress this balance by adding other incentives, in the form of all of its features, and it does this pretty well.

Don't care, never bought from Steam, never will with those prices.

50 euros for a game with no package? no thanks, i can get it retail for 30

If you were witty you would of - whatever that sentence fragment means - checked and discovered that there is no Steam store page for anyone connecting from outside NA, due to stupid regional restrictions.I dealt with that. Valve always lists 3rd party DRM, but not always in a timely fashion. If people are now purchasing/downloading it en masse and there still isn't a peep about 3rd party DRM then fine. Otherwise it's just one moderator's word.

So I said of instead of have? Wanna fight about it?

Also, I thought the Slashdot article would have been enough for someone to get giddy over non-SecuROM'd games. I guess I was wrong. :p

Really changes nothing at all for me. After being bit more than once I've decided not to buy EA titles, and them being on Steam doesn't change anything to them being EA products.

EA isn't a developer, it's a publisher. Why would you punish those developers with good products for a publisher's unpopularity?

So I said of instead of have? Wanna fight about it?
Well, that, and I didn't know what you meant by 'witty'. What does my ability to check a non-existent page have to do with how amusing I am? :p
Also, I thought the Slashdot article would have been enough for someone to get giddy over non-SecuROM'd games. I guess I was wrong. :p
The slashdot article still only cites that one steampowered thread. I read the thread and the mod isn't very convincing. He says he's 'certain' but gives no basis for his certainty, other than that Steam should be sufficient DRM for any game in the Steam store (which is irrelevant) and that the store page for Spore doesn't mention SecuROM, which I still don't consider to be the gospel truth (just yet). What is a little more convincing is the link to the Bioware forums that suggests Mass Effect is also SecuROM-free, but still, that's not 100% confirmation.

I'm not saying EA games on Steam definitely have 3rd party (4th party really) DRM. What I'm saying is: if SecuROM was a sticking point for me, yet I went ahead and bought Spore via Steam only to find that out it still contained SecuROM, I would be surprised - inasmuch as I'm always mildly surprised when I'm misinformed. But I would also rightfully blame myself for believing the word of one single guy who was not a Valve employee.

EA isn't a developer, it's a publisher. Why would you punish those developers with good products for a publisher's unpopularity?

EA isn't a developer? lol. EA makes most of these games, they bought and manage the individual studios that used to make great games. And killed quite a few of them too (EA LA next, is what I hear!) Anyways it doesn't change my mind.

50 euros for a game with no package? no thanks, i can get it retail for 30
If you're simply referring to a hard copy version, you can use the steam backup feature to burn your games to CD or DVD (legally!). If you mean box art eye candy well too bad.

Back