EA's updated EULA partially prohibits lawsuits.

Gargantou

Companion Cube
Reaction score
http://www.ngohq.com/news/20584-eas-new-user-agreement-bans-lawsuits.html

"Most user concerns can be resolved quickly and to your satisfaction by logging into our customer support interface with your Account at http://support.ea.com/. In the unlikely event that EA cannot resolve a concern to your satisfaction (or if EA cannot resolve a concern it has with you after attempting to do so informally), then you and EA agree to be bound by the following procedure to resolve any and all disputes between us. This provision applies to all consumers to the fullest extent allowable by law, but expressly excludes residents of Quebec, Russia, Switzerland and the Member States of the European Union.

By entering into this Agreement, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action. This agreement is intended to be interpreted broadly. It covers any and all disputes between us ("Disputes"), including without limitation:

A. claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of the relationship between us, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal theory;
B. claims that arose before this Agreement or any prior agreement (including, but not limited to, claims relating to advertising);
C. claims that are currently the subject of purported class action litigation in which you are not a member of a certified class; and
D. claims that may arise after the termination of this Agreement.

The only disputes that are not covered by this Section 17 are the following:

1. a claim to enforce or protect, or concerning the validity of, any of your or EA’s (or any of EA’s licensors’) intellectual property rights;
2. a claim related to, or arising from, allegations of theft, piracy, or unauthorized use;
3. In addition, nothing in this Agreement shall prevent either party from initiating a small claims court action.

With respect to this Section 17, References to "EA," "you," and "us" include our respective subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns, as well as all authorized or unauthorized users or beneficiaries of services or Software under this or prior agreements between us. This EULA evidences a transaction in interstate commerce, and thus the Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Section 17. This arbitration provision shall survive termination of this EULA."

Not cool, EA.

Not cool.

"but expressly excludes residents of Quebec, Russia, Switzerland and the Member States of the European Union".

Oh, cool, so everyone else can sue their pants off, except people in the US.

Oh, cool, so everyone else can sue their pants off, except people in the US.
That's because we have laws that protects customers against bullshit. Also that list hardly covers everyone except the US.

But Valve are the bad guys, Steam is so restrictive in it's terms of service and we want people to know that. We aren't restrictive at all in our approach, we just want you to agree that we are immune to legal action.

No, Valve are the bad guys for not having touched or discussed an interesting IP since 2007.

No, Valve are the bad guys for not having touched or discussed an interesting IP since 2007.
*reads post*
*goes to steam*
*opens BHC's steam profile to see the interesting games he plays*
*582.2 hours played in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2*
*level of respect for any comment BHC makes about the quality of any game hits rock bottom*

I forget if it was EA or Sony that added into their EULA that they may change it at any time without notifying their users.

I think sony.

I guess its because of the crazy US suing culture so they decide to include it to cover their ass.

"omg I cut my self on the DVD! It didnt say it was sharp on the box. I'ma sue your asses for free money lawls"

That's in almost all of 'em Steam, XBL, Facebook, PSN etc.

Came here to say this. It's been in Steam's EULA before Sony or EA added it to theirs. Also don't mean shit since EULAs won't hold up in court if you have a legitimate reason to bring a suit against them.

I don't know why anyone is getting up in arms about this.

I don't know why anyone is getting up in arms about this.

Because most people think that EULAs are legally binding on all provisions, automatically, and EA is willfully deceiving people into thinking there can be no legal recourse for major issues customers have. They're taking advantage of people's misunderstanding of the retardedly complicated legal processes in the US and other countries. Its unethical and shouldn't be tolerated by those who can see it for what it is, for the sake of those who can't.

Back