Easter egg on EP1 website

K

Koraktor

Maybe some of you remember the easter eggs on the HL2 website like the infamous Half-Life 2: PHP.

So, I've been a bit bored a few minutes ago and searched through the code of the new pages on http://ep1.half-life2.com in hope for finding another surprise.

Almost disappointed for not finding anything like the ASCII bird or another hint, I wondered why one page is called info_wait.php.
As I don't want to wait, I removed that part of the URL. ;) And... mystery... my browser led me to this page: http://ep1.half-life2.com/info.php

Nothing really exciting, the picture is well known and excpet for that there's only one sentence:

"Aren't we clever."

So, are they?

Are you a robot? LOL, Great find! I felt I have done this before.

A bot? Not really. ;)
Just posted it in all forums where I'm registered. :p

Indeed Koraktor I think you have found something. Well arn't you clever? :thumbs:

I think it's secret code for "This section of the website isn't done yet." Nice shot of the Gman though.

Maybe there's something hidden in the image?

At first, that same page showed almost the same info as the coming soon screen (info wait), albeit with a preloading button and a changed release date.

I feel special, because I was the first one to find & post it, both here and on the steampowered forums :p

Yeah, I know, I'm a geek :)

it was origionally a page to order Episode 1 which was going to go online in May but when we found it Valve changed the page to this.

Cleverly done, Mr. Freeman, but you're not supposed to be here. As a matter of fact...you're not. Get back where you belong and forget about all this. Until we meet again.

I love that G-man wallpaper. Its on my desktop right now.

Nice find if its anything. Dunno its on the main site as a wallpaper just not sure if the quote is at the bottom.

Weird..that Half life 2 php, I lose now no matter what. Yesterday when I chose attack the headcrap it said I won. Thats bull.

The G-Man wallpaper is a bit cartoony, but it's still awesome. He has a RED tie in Episode 1! :sniper:

i goty asn erercvtionn asndf dfercidfedf to see ifgnb i c vouldf tytp[e nbwithj m,y prenmis./

...Sorry if this offends anyone D:

Maybe it's one of GMans lines after someone in the storyline finally figures out who Freemans current employer is.

Raziel-Jcd said:
I love that G-man wallpaper. Its on my desktop right now.

Same :p Black Mesa theme from Deviant Art with that wallpaper ftw :p

Mr.Magnetichead said:
Maybe it's one of GMans lines after someone in the storyline finally figures out who Freemans current employer is.
it's just the valve team remarking on how you got to the page.

Mr.Magnetichead said:
rambler said:
it's just the valve team remarking on how you got to the page.

But it IS one of the G-man's lines...did no one pay attention to my post? ;) What it was originally for, and if we'll ever hear it ingame, who knows...but the fact that he's saying part of it on the Episode One website, well...perhaps a bit more than two unconnected statements, don't you think?

Koraktor said:
So, I've been a bit bored a few minutes ago and searched through the code of the new pages on http://ep1.half-life2.com in hope for finding another surprise.

I take it you are involved in web design to some degree Koraktor? (Me too:))

I had a quick look throught the css (styling) file that is used for the Episode 1 website (http://ep1.half-life2.com/ep1_styles.css), and found what I think is some ignored code. It contains some stuff realting to Flash animation, and I don't think there is currently any Flash content on the site - future content maybe?

Also, there is mention of 'eyebrows'??? Maybe they're going to do an animation with the G-Man's eyebrows as a feature! Who knows, just thought someone here might like to see :D

----------------------------------------

/* reinstate with Flash animation
.home_eyebrows {
float: left;
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
height: 125px;
width: 705px;
text-align: left;
top: -330px;
position: relative;
left: 5px;
}
*/

Maybe someone else can make more sense of this and work out what Valve are planning...

Back