Easter Eggs

There's some Combine advertising going on. Looks like a kid with a combine mask on playing soccer. Probably their version of Wheaties.

Attachments

• d1_canals_050000.jpg
    d1_canals_050000.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 524
the_lone_wolf said:
the petrol station on highway17 has prices in "kronna" - dutch krona anyone?

It says "Krona", but they are swedish gaspumps, because it says Volym ---- Liter
which is Volume ---- Litres in swedish.

And the "summa" is finnish. It means/is the counter that shows how much money does the "litres" you've bought.

Sorry, 'bout my bad english..

David Blaine

In Black Mesa East there is a (badly rendered) David Blaine in a resistance member suit who walks round a corner, if you follow him with noclip he begins levitating in the same fashion as David Blaine, his character model in the model viewer is also called 'Blaine'.

This might not be the right place to be ask, but what exactly ARE vortigaunts? Were they created at Black Mesa, or are they aliens?

I notice the newspaper things that say Earth was taken over, but I'm still confused as to whether the Combine are those aliens. What happened to all the creatures created at Black Mesa?

I'm CONFUSED!

I think City 17 is St. Petersburg. Several things make me believe this:
1. It's in Eastern Europe(duh)
2. The horse statue(although in real life it isn't on top of a column)
3. In an early trailer for HL2, it shows City 17 with a tram(think San Francisco) system running through it. St. Petersburg is one of the few cities in the world with such a system.
4. It's quite close to the sea.
5. The sea it is close to happens to be the Baltic sea, and there is a "Cafe Baltic" in the plaza outside C17's train station.

And the vortigaunts were in HL1. They're native to the Xen dimension. And no creature was "created" in Black Mesa. They're all from Xen.

Apocalypse89 said:
3. In an early trailer for HL2, it shows City 17 with a tram(think San Francisco) system running through it. St. Petersburg is one of the few cities in the world with such a system.
5. The sea it is close to happens to be the Baltic sea, and there is a "Cafe Baltic" in the plaza outside C17's train station.

And the vortigaunts were in HL1. They're native to the Xen dimension. And no creature was "created" in Black Mesa. They're all from Xen.
to add: isnt Father Grigori's(spelling?) accent strong russian? he may be one of very few true russians there.

and BMRF is in New Mexico. load up HL1 and read the writing that comes up. Subject: Gordon Freeman. . . .ablablalbala. . . Location: New Mexico, USA or something like that.

furiousV said:
to add: isnt Father Grigori's(spelling?) accent strong russian? he may be one of very few true russians there.

Yeah, I've always considered him a Russian priest because of the accent and the very Russian-like clothes. Also, in Ravenholm that church has the same kind of architechture as the Russian churches have.

Apocalypse89 said:

There are also several romanian, hungarian and other europian languages/signs in the game.

It has been clearly established that the city is just a big mix of many eastern europe cities.

Enigmer said:
There are also several romanian, hungarian and other europian languages/signs in the game.

It has been clearly established that the city is just a big mix of many eastern europe cities.
Exactly, there are also swedish gas pumps and some of the road signs seem to be scandinavian.

In Eli's lab, Somewhere around the computers you can find a picture of Alyx as a little girl, Eli, and Alyx's mom.

I think the black barnacle you see in Water Hazard (same place as a G-man sighting) is quite cool :p

Actually Gregori is also a Russian name, as in say, Gregori Rasputin from Russian history or badly slaughtered Disney versions of history.

I made this:

dancemacabre.jpg

with Gary's Mod.

Oh and yes the original HL2 love letters are still at the blog, http://ministryofmind.blogspot.com among other things. Check the archives--whoever PMed me.

Does anyone have a screenshot of the David Blaine fellow in HL2? There's a bunny who'd hump an xbox for one..

- Bunny

So what you're saying is... the Nihalith was a teddy-bear?

Jintor said:
So what you're saying is... the Nihalith was a teddy-bear?
The Nihilanth could well be a teddy bear. Limited edition ones come with pink lovehearts. Get one for your girlfriend today. :thumbs:

The Nihilanth could well be a teddy bear. Limited edition ones come with pink lovehearts. Get one for your girlfriend today.

Excuse me, both of my kids asked me for one and I only see one on the shelves. Are there any more in the back?

Nihilanth: "Last, I am the Last, I am"

I noticed this yesterday. All the stereos are playing a song by the "Blue Scholars".

Attachments

• d1_trainstation_050016.jpg
    d1_trainstation_050016.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 586
OMG!!! MAJOR EASTEREGG ALERT!!! ALERT!!! Gordon has a son! Look in his locker theres a baby picture!

specialmax said:
OMG!!! MAJOR EASTEREGG ALERT!!! ALERT!!! Gordon has a son! Look in his locker theres a baby picture!
OMG MAJOR NEWS FLASH!

Half-Life 1 manual, Gordon's letter: "Since you are unmarried and without dependants..."

That picture is one of the developer's kid, Gordon doesn't have a family. :hmph:

OK, this was only mentioned in passing by one poster, but I only found it last night, so here goes: in the dam level there's an open drain entrance across the stretch of water from the warehouse building (in the srea you have to open the gate to get to after taking down the hunter chopper). You can jump up into it, run down about 40-50m of radioactive slime and there's an exit on one side to a cave where a Vortigaunt is muttering some incantation over a fire while roasting a headhopper on a spit. He clears his throat mid-chant and starts going on about how "we lost everything" etc. There's loads of health there too in crates.

Feel free to cry 'OLD'.

Wilsonator said:
In Black Mesa East there is a (badly rendered) David Blaine in a resistance member suit who walks round a corner, if you follow him with noclip he begins levitating in the same fashion as David Blaine, his character model in the model viewer is also called 'Blaine'.

ministryofmind said:
Does anyone have a screenshot of the David Blaine fellow in HL2? There's a bunny who'd hump an xbox for one..

- Bunny

Sorry Bunny, I think Wilsonator is either talking about a dream he had, or has been smoking too much crack before playing..

There's no apparent model named Blaine in the model viewer and not a single file with blaine in the filename in the entire models directory of the "source models" gcf. (which even has the models for the Advisor, npc_crabsynth, and npc_mortarsynth)

mortarsynth:
npc_mortarsynth-1.jpg

crabsynth (next to mortarsynth and Alyx for size):
npc_crabsynth-2.jpg

top view of the advisor (part of mortarsynth in corner): ;)
advisor-1.jpg

Nope, the David Blaine dude (whoever the hell David Blaine is) is in Black Mesa East.

i dont know if this is an easter egg but if u go to ravenholm and wait by the big spike pit ofroasting zombies where u first see father gregory, eventually ull hear a woman scream in the distance, survivor? not anymore lol.

And also if when alyx tells u we dont go to ravenholm u go down the tunnel, she gives u this speech on what happened and ends with the creepy remark: "believe me, that tunnel is sealed for a reason" ooh spooky

AJ Rimmer said:
Nope, the David Blaine dude (whoever the hell David Blaine is) is in Black Mesa East.
David Blaine is a Magician who does a levitation as one of his tricks

AJ Rimmer said:

Alright.. I'll give you two the benefit of the doubt, and have a look again.. but a little more specific as to where would be nice..

Cheers

Ok, fortunately he was more or less right after the first airlock, after you turn left, there's a fenced off area straight ahead, and a guy walks away..

I followed him, and down at the end of the hall it turns left or right, both almost immediate dead ends.

The guy proceeds to one end, stops, pops up a few inches and stays there for a few seconds, then pops back to the floor, then proceeds to the other dead end and does the same thing, and continutes to do that back and forth apparently forever.

Here's a few pics:

Standing:
d1_eli_010012.jpg

Floating:
d1_eli_010013.jpg

Closer face shot (other end, which is brighter):
HL2-floating-man-face.jpg

Here's a couple shots of David Blaine I dug up for your own comparison:
david-blaine-face.jpg

David_Blaine_Front_520.jpg

There certainly is a resemblance and he does appear to "float" (though I've seen combine spawn from higher distances without cheating..)

The model name in the model viewer, however is:
Male_Cheaple.mdl

(under the Humans\Group01 if anyone is looking..)

So despite the model name thing, I guess it's certainly possible to say the rest of what Wilsonator said, so my apologies to him.

And.. Bunny.. My X-box wants you. Let me know when you can drop by. ;)

Cheers

I know it's just there as an easter egg, but that model really look like crap. Very low-res.

Dont flame me for this but I think thiers a combine in him, like he's a spy.
One: Has no eyes what so ever, Two: His skin texture....just freaky and not real could be a mix of human and somthing else. Three: I bet we'd be
sued if we made fun of david blaine or whatever lol.

Are you serious, the reason the modle is crap is couse you only see its back, just like the half-Breens. It's to make the levels as small as possible

ríomhaire said:
Are you serious, the reason the modle is crap is couse you only see its back, just like the half-Breens. It's to make the levels as small as possible

I'd tend to agree with that.. they put enough detail in for a cute little easter egg, but it'd but silly to overdo it! (same for eyes.. his eyes are kinda dark anyway.. and heck.. he's magic, right?) ;)

Also, I wonder if the sued/legal BS stuff is the reason they didn't call the model Blaine. Oh well.

Happy to look up any other easter eggs anyone else hears of. That camping Vort. was pretty cool. :) Though he doesn't seem to say -more- than, say the vort tha puts the gun on your airboat, he does say more than -most- vorts I tried talking to (not like someone said he says the same thing all vorts say) .. plus, he seems to say things more freely.. I "use" him once and he might say a few things, but the vort. that puts the gun on only says one thing at a time. (after I first noticed a vort say more than one thing near the beginning of the game I tended to try to talk with them multiple times, and even wait a bit and try again often.. and though I may have missed some, still only found the one that gives you the gun talked that much..)

AJ Rimmer said:
I know it's just there as an easter egg, but that model really look like crap. Very low-res.
There's a reason they call it male_cheaple...
You don't want to spend all the processing power on things the player sees for a couple of seconds, so they make a model that is really easy to render. If you spawn one of those, you will notice the quality is less but it won't affect your performance.

Back