Echoes of Half-Life *very minor spoiler, in fact, it's probably not really a spoiler*

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking through Magnusson's speach files and I found this:
"If you can hear me Freeman, for God's sake close the overhead silo doors!"

And I immediatly thought of this line from the start of We've Got Hostiles:
"For God?s sake, open the silo door! They?re coming for us; it?s our only way out!"
Just thought I'd share that...

...discuss.

...discuss.

I'm going to bake a cake tomorrow. For my dad.

I'm telling you this because there really isn't much to discuss about. OK, it's an echo and I can agree with that. What next? Pointing out the vort/Magnusson thing? Nah, it's explained in commentaries...tie-ins in general? Well I suppose, but then again this topic isn't exactly about that either.

I'll give you a sticker though. At least your message wasn't as much spam as mine is.

This again Samon? You need to get some new material.

He's about to say "Make me".

And I immediatly thought of this line from the start of We've Got Hostiles:
"For God?s sake, open the silo door! They?re coming for us; it?s our only way out!" oh my god we're doooomedd BOOM, runs into a military trip mine and gives us a good gibbing to look at, so i doubt its magnusson

Just thought I'd share that...

I still can't push him in front of the door to open the silo door and skip the chapters...How do you do it...

It doesn't work in the Steam version of HL because the game was patched to fix it. And it obviously isn't Magnusson. I'm just saying it's a similar line.

Then I guess you meant to say "it obviously isn't Magnusson." :p

I remember that scene clearly.

Unless Magnusson can recover from being blown to steamy chunks, I'm fairly sure it wasn't him.

I found these while looking through the subtitles file, though I didn't actually hear them in game:

Dr. Kleiner
"I can't be bothered right now." [exactly as in HL1]
"You will just have to wait until after the launch." [in HL1, it's "...until after the experiment]

And this, which I did notice while playing:

HL1 scientist: "Uh...it’s probably not a problem…probably…but I’m showing a small discrepancy in…well, no, it’s well within acceptable bounds again. Sustaining sequence."

Kleiner: "I'm seeing a payload anomaly of approximately eight and a half pounds."
Magnusson: "Well...that's within tolerance, certainly not worth scuttling the ..."

Magnusson can close his own goddamned silo doors.

Oh wait, I forgot Slick can't do ANYTHING for himself.

Slick is more powerful than you will ever be!

Edit: Seeing as HL2 has characters based off of the black (Eli), walter (Kleiner) and slick (Magnusson) models, do you think we'll get einstein in EP3? :O

Edit: Seeing as HL2 has characters based off of the black (Eli), walter (Kleiner) and slick (Magnusson) models, do you think we'll get einstein in EP3? :O
Possibly if there are any remaining Aperture scintists.

And Slick will die at my hands! All Slicks! Forever! Never stop making him pay!

Personally, I WANT an einstein in EP3 or future HL games.

Possibly if there are any remaining Aperture scintists.

And Slick will die at my hands! All Slicks! Forever! Never stop making him pay!

Fool. Friendly Fire will stop you. For every Magnusson who dies, one more spawns in the next map!

Thought Einstein would be Magnusson at first :(

Was very dissappointed/shocked/surprised on Saturday when he appeared on the screen.

I think we all believed he would be an Einstein but they had to go and make an older version of the Guy no one remembers...

It didn't occur to me that he would be any of them, to be honest.

JFC.

Magnusson is based off the Einstein model, even the line that inspired his character is spoken by an Einstein model, the facial features match...

Slick is too skinny, and unless Magnusson underwent radical facial surgery, he has as much in common with Slick as I have with Lindsey Lohan.

Um Barney's way too fat to be Barney from Half-Life. Think it's Slick personally. Just aged a bit.

JFC.

Magnusson is based off the Einstein model, even the line that inspired his character is spoken by an Einstein model, the facial features match...

Slick is too skinny, and unless Magnusson underwent radical facial surgery, he has as much in common with Slick as I have with Lindsey Lohan.
I think he looks like the guy the g-man was based off of and slick looked like the g-man. And he looks absolutly nothing like einstein. I think he does looked like slick, as much as it's possible to compare models from two games that are 9 years appart from each other.

I think he looks like the guy the g-man was based off of and slick looked like the g-man. And he looks absolutly nothing like einstein. I think he does looked like slick, as much as it's possible to compare models from two games that are 9 years appart from each other.

Yes you can, and Magnusson really doesn't look like slick. For M'Atra's sake, even Einstein and Arne have the same pattern baldness and shape of their face.

Yes you can, and Magnusson really doesn't look like slick. For M'Atra's sake, even Einstein and Arne have the same pattern baldness and shape of their face.

You do realize that Einstein is nearly bald? A chromedome? A bowling ball on his shoulders? They don't even have the same hairstyle.

Look at Magnusson's hair line. It's definitely supposed to invoke Slick's distinctive hair.

You do realize that Einstein is nearly bald? A chromedome? A bowling ball on his shoulders? They don't even have the same hairstyle.

Look at Magnusson's hair line. It's definitely supposed to invoke Slick's distinctive hair.

Where and how? The cheek bones don't match, complexion either and the overall skinny face of the Slick is not in concert with Magnusson's fat face. Heck, you can argue that Kleiner is not Walter because Walter is almost totally bald that way.

Slick is probably not Magnusson.

But Einstein is definitely not Magnusson.

Guess the guy with the moustache from the photo of the dudes in the Research Team could be him...

That's what I say. And argue that Slick is not Magnusson's basis, Einstein is much closer - cheek-****ing-bones.

I think we all believed he would be an Einstein but they had to go and make an older version of the Guy no one remembers...
I remembered....I will always remember...:hmph:

And Magnusson's Slick. He may not look a whole lot like him, but all the Einsteins we met in the game were simpering panty-waists, while all the Slicks we met were beacons of sarcasm and condescension. I know Slick. Magnusson's Slick.

Where and how? The cheek bones don't match, complexion either and the overall skinny face of the Slick is not in concert with Magnusson's fat face. Heck, you can argue that Kleiner is not Walter because Walter is almost totally bald that way.

So? Your argument works in my favour, since Kleiner is supposed to be evocative of Walter. Look at Magnusson's protudant ears and his hairstyle, they're quite evocative of Slick.

Actually, looking reeely reeeely close at these pics, I am confused even more. The hairline looks more like Slick, but the ears could be either one.

I'm confused.

Bah, he doesn't have a mustache. If they were basing him off the picture, the mustache should be there. He's Slick. So there. :sleep:

Thanks to Iron_cube for his screenies from this thread, since Magnusson pictures are few and far between and I don't have my own copy of Episode 2 yet.

Thanks for them. After looking at them both directly, I can almost certainly say that the guy with the moustache resembles Arne.

Slick has much too sunken eyes, and his jaw is not in harmony with Magnusson. He looks too quite, the more to emminate sarcastic comments at you, not boom them loudly as Magnusson does. He certainly doesn't look like the kind've guy who would compete with Kleiner.

As to your argument as to not having a moustache anymore, that's utter rubbish, and if anything proves the point. Many people have a moustache at a younger age, and then shave it off as time goes by and old age creeps up on them. How many photos have you seen of parents or teachers with loads of hair and ridiculous moustaches that've since disappeared? It merely adds to the personality of the character, no longer having a moustache, instead of being a static skin that they'll wear for the rest of their lives.

Besides, moustachey also has the ears and the build of Magnusson.

I remembered....I will always remember...:hmph:

And Magnusson's Slick. He may not look a whole lot like him, but all the Einsteins we met in the game were simpering panty-waists, while all the Slicks we met were beacons of sarcasm and condescension. I know Slick. Magnusson's Slick.
Just before you go into the test chamber isn't einstein the one who goes "Gordon doesn't need to hear all this" and skick the one who's a worried panty-waist? Just playing Devil's Advocate :angel:

Combine Overwatch: Continue surface sector sweep. Remote compliance. Exterminate...

HECU Marines when sights an enemy: Sweep that sector!

Back