Edge Issue 143 to contain Half-Life 2 review

Well. I have a VERY unconfirmed report. HL2 has got a TEN in EDGE.

He said he got his mag today and it recieved the max points for the 6th time ever in long long time.

Excellent. So the rumours are gaining more substance.

I read someone said Edge had given it a ten in the Eurogamer forums a few days back.

Superb. If Edge has rated it that highly, then this is the clearest indication yet that the game has completely lived up to the hype. :D

Let's wait for a confirmation before we start celebrating :)

It comes out this week, so we'll know soon enough. Btw, do subscribers get the mag a few days early? I'm not sure if Edge do that.

KagePrototype said:
It comes out this week, so we'll know soon enough. Btw, do subscribers get the mag a few days early? I'm not sure if Edge do that.

Usually a day before it hits the shops :)

The score will be all over the internet the second ppl recieve their copies. I'll happily type out chunks of text if ppl are interested.

On average, subscribers usually get it a four or five days before the street date (at least on the forums I frequent). Which means anywhere between now and Tuesday we should hopefully get news of the scores.

I'd be pleased to settle for 9/10, but 10/10 would be the icing on the cake. :)

As soon as I get full confimation I'll update the thread.

KagePrototype said:
Finally, it'd be nice to hear a more fair review that doesn't drown in it's own hyperbole and hype. :) I remember when Edge had that crowbar on the back of their issue last April...heh, every other HL fan site's forum went INSANE. :D
i remember that, i was just looking at planethalf life and had told my girlfriend about how valve are probably secretely making HL2. then i saw the crowbar, and thats the point where i had to start checking HL news on a daily basis.

as much as i'm elated by the possible 10/10 score, i still think 10/10 is ridiculous. A perfect score indicates a perfect game which is impossible; all games have flaws... yes, even HL2 (i suspect)

*dons flame-retardant suit*

I agree with you, but I don't think Edge classify ten out of ten as quite perfect, despite what the score suggests.

On their scoring system the mark is termed "revolutionary", which could be applicable to Half-Life 2 if all its reportedly quality elements come together to make the experience 'whole'. Such as the physics, AI, environmental diversity, character design, storyline, setpiece development etc. :)

Did you guys even read this enitre thread Dr A.?....you are repeating almost word for word what has already been stated...10/10 does NOT mean perfect....go back and read..

So, anyone recieved an early copy yet?

I doubt, hl2 got 10/10. It would be given the whole cover, instead of DS - and not been squashed in the left corner...

At least, where ever it scores good - it's given the whole cover.

lans said:
So, anyone recieved an early copy yet?

I doubt, hl2 got 10/10. It would be given the whole cover, instead of DS - and not been squashed in the left corner...

At least, where ever it scores good - it's given the whole cover.

Edge never really advertise reviews on their front cover, just articles and previews, stuff like that. Sometimes they have little more than an ambiguous picture, not even having a little review list in the corner or anything.

songwriter said:
Its been Confirmed.
It was EDGE 5TH EVER! 10/10!!
If you're kidding, i'll have to use my black magic powers on you. :E

I'm guessing 8/10 from Edge, although hearing that they gave Halo a 10/10 is pretty lame. Halo was good but not worthy of a 10/10, an 8 maximum.

I don't think HL2 could ever get 10/10 without a multiplayer mode.

StardogChampion said:
I'm guessing 8/10 from Edge, although hearing that they gave Halo a 10/10 is pretty lame. Halo was good but not worthy of a 10/10, an 8 maximum.

I don't think HL2 could ever get 10/10 without a multiplayer mode.
It has a multiplayer mode.

Narcolepsy said:
It has a multiplayer mode.

More of a multiplayer add-on than a seperate mode. A crappy updated add-on that you can download for free right now, cs1.6.

IMHO Edge is one of the best mags out there. One factor is that they rarely go with any hype. Also they will rarely review games that aren't available to the public.
They've been spot on IMO with most of the reviews of games I have played and their always very fair.
If HL2 where to get a 9 - I'd be very impressed. Theres very few games to have ever achived a 9 on Edge.
I'd guess an 8 personally - but then again what do I know... I have'nt played HL2 yet :p

If this "Edge" gives HL2 any less than 9/10, it would only prove further their pro-console bias and thus make their opinion moot in my eyes.

Dr. A said:
A perfect score indicates a perfect game which is impossible;
10/10 does not indicate a perfect game. Why does everyone get confused over this? 10/10 is merely an astounding title, and, in EDGEs special case, a title wich will probably change the way we look at the genre.
As you say yourself, a perfect game is impossible, likewise a perfect movie or a perfect song. No one would be foolish enough to claim s/he had produced the perfect song, since everyones tastes differ. Why have a scale you cannot use properly, i e not allowed to use fully?

Especially considering Halo wasn't revolutionary at all... well not compared to PC shooters anyhow, it was new to consoles.

mortiz said:
Especially considering Halo wasn't revolutionary at all... well not compared to PC shooters anyhow, it was new to consoles.

Let's do all this again \o/

For it's time, Halo provided an experience that wasn't available on any system (including pcs) Whether or not you like the game is an entirely different matter, though. Let's not squabble over one review guys :) (it'd be as productive as arguing over which is the best colour - which is obvioulsy brown btw :))

I disagree that Edge 'go with any hype'. If anything they create it.

Let's also drop the talk of 'perfect games' - it's been done to death now.

songwriter said:
Have I got any appoligies from people above??? Well ?

Nope :)

You gave no source at all, and it still hasn't been confirmed (although it's looking very likely to be true :))

Back