editdemo help thread + tutorials

That's what it says. :farmer:

Need me to do it in another format?

polypod said:
nice effect jester!
was this done in a 2d program?
it strikes me how much can be done to the footage after it's captured!
sweet

I actually just did two scenes, composited them in After Effects, and applied a blur to each layer. As one let up, the other one increased.

Sort of a simple hack, but it worked.

RabidJester, well thought and done :)

polypod, it's easier to say what you CAN'T do in post to the video than what you can. Need some color correction? No problem. Need motion blur? No problem. Need a huge winterstorm with an avalanche to originally a sunny scene? No problem.

Does anyone know how I could output the zbuffer from HL2 to files? That'd let me to amaze you with really great looking DOF.

Para said:
RabidJester, well thought and done :)

polypod, it's easier to say what you CAN'T do in post to the video than what you can. Need some color correction? No problem. Need motion blur? No problem. Need a huge winterstorm with an avalanche to originally a sunny scene? No problem.

Does anyone know how I could output the zbuffer from HL2 to files? That'd let me to amaze you with really great looking DOF.

Well, yeah...

That's what I've loved about digital manipulation (so much moreso today than in the past) is that we have limitless potential.

Throw in the ability to build budget free sets and hire casts as large as your screen will fit for absolutely nothing, and it becomes a catalyst for awesomeness.

@RabidJester: Its a graete clip. (i want to see more)

Is it possible to use the .dem files as a film in Hammer? (e.g. you make a tV and screen the .dem on it). Would be really nice!!

Luc

No, that isn't possible since .dem isn't a movie, it's a playback of a certain scene with all the objects on the screen. It's possible to make a screen show just about anything though.

I have a lot of *.dem files from the Beta but i don´t can watch them. How can i render these files? (the easiest way please!)

Luc

I don't think it's possible. The file format has changed.

Besides, it not the beta, it was an alpha, and a leak.

Maybe it's just a matter of honor to me, but I refuse to refer to it as anything other than "stolen".

hmmmm...

very interesting thread...hope u guys find out more stuff soon and/or this fix by valve itself is coming...

hrmm, very nice tut on the demoui stuff. I've had zero luck in getting any of that stuff working myself over the past few days (although i've only looked at this forum posting today). I must be doing something wrong in halflife as wav dumping during startmovie also produces non-playable wavs for me.. damn halflife2! :)

your feigned dof is quite amusing.. it's a nice effect in that instance, but as you're aware it's practically useless for anything involving dynamic cameras. Unless you're able to capture multiple passes of the same shot and key aspects of each shot out. Very time consuming, but not impossible. I did the same kind of work for tricking iT2 (although we had the possibility of doing proper DOG there we passed on it as it was still very time consuming to do proper effects which simulate the lense).

the motion blur technique you're using is quite nice. we've been using the same technique for nearly 2 years now in our gaming movies over at shaolinproductions. 250fps is very excessive though, infact not many NLE's or video containers will deal with such high framerates. Although i know vegas will by overramping the playback rate.

anyway, it's good to see that people are already looking at pushing the rather limited boundries of early hl2 demo editing and movie production. good work guys..

you can check out an effects test i knocked up ages ago for a trick jumping ET movie that never got finished (or started). Featuring proper DOF with lense simulation, and dynamic focal point. dynamic cameras (et doesn't offer nice spline cameras like hl2), motion blurring, and some feigned caustic style lighting.
http://shaolinproductions.org/etfx-a.avi (8mb)

Maybe you could help me out:

I've edited the path using process -> smooth selection origin.

It creates the new path in purple and displays both, I save this new file, and when I load up the new saved smooth.dem, It still shows both the original yellow path and also the purple one. When I playback the demo the camera defaults to the yellow, so my changes are there but it doesn't use them, or at least it's not throwing out the original.

Any ideas?

I followed your tutorial, and I have the same problems as you described. So maybe the bugs are in the demo ui program itself and not specific per person.

looks like Depth of field blur is now part of garrys mod.. saves a lot of time! :)

jrb said:
looks like Depth of field blur is now part of garrys mod.. saves a lot of time! :)

It certainly does. I'm still trying to figure out how he does it. I've been spending more time on my dolly/crane vehicle for smooth controlled shots, and FOV. It's very nice though.

Until RabidJester pulls that off, does anyone know if there's a console command for player movement speed? Tracking shots of people could be managed by matching their walk speed, or whatever.

At the moment, I'm stuck on walk and run for player speeds. If I need to, I'll just edit their speeds in the source code.

But more importantly than that, the demoui functions have been fixed, and everything works properly for me now, besides the occasional crash.

Look forward to me completing my first short in the next day or two.

Lorka said:
Until RabidJester pulls that off, does anyone know if there's a console command for player movement speed? Tracking shots of people could be managed by matching their walk speed, or whatever.

Garry told me how he did it, but it's still rudimentary. You can't get far depth of field, it only blurs things in the distance. Doesn't work the other way around. But we brainstormed a bit today to figure out how to use the LOD code to have adjustable depth of field.

Is it just me, or are camera splines broken in the latest Steam update? Two keys don't seem to link together anymore...

Back