Elaborate Scam you guys and Valve should know about

Fiberawptic

Reaction score
Ok, so i got my steam account hijacked yesterday because a guy on my friends list said Valve released a sneek preview for left 4 dead DLC and he gave a me a link to follow which brought me to a Steam group page (this one to be exact <zap>) and on their announcement page they say you have to click on a link to see the preview. That link brings you to an exact replica of the steam community front page except the only until recently did i notice its a slightly different url. The link is this (WARNING: DO NOT ENTER ANY OF YOUR ACCOUNT INFO IN THE FOLLOWING SITE) <zap>

I entered my info and nothing happend and i figured it was my shitty internet connection so i left. Came back after running arends and saw that someone else logged into my account from another computer. Its kinda sad really, the guy on my friends list was always nice to me, invited me to play L4D with him all the time. WHat an ass, when i get my account back, hes in for a treat. I reported this to the steam support and should get my account back within the next few days. Hopefully these ****ers will get what they deserve.

So advice for you people, ONLY and ONLY enter your account info (name and password) when you are at the log in window when starting the steam program, or if you are SURE your at the official steam site with no alterations in the URL between the 'www' part and '.com' part... I want you guys to know about this and if anyone could somehow inform valve about it, that would be great, even though i did, but the more the merrier.

Please do not post links lie this, feel free to contact Steam Support with them.

Fiberawptic, while this scammer is logged into your account, he's going to be messaging your friends giving them the same link. They are going to post on a forum saying 'THAT FIBERAWPTIC....STOLE MY ACCOUNT'. So think about it for a second, isn't it more likely your friend who was nice to you had probably got his Steam account hijacked beforehand and used his friends e.g. YOU, to get more easy steals.

Anyway, please report it to Steam Support immediately.

Well at least the scammers are getting more creative.
Anyway it serves you right for being greedy, you just couldn't wait huh, you wanted to play that DLC now even though if Valve were to do a sneek preview it would be open to everyone. I can see more like this happening with Episode 3. If it sounds to good to be true then it fake.

Please do not post links like this, feel free to contact Steam Support with them.

So sorry about that, never occured to me people may still fall victim of it. even with the huge ass red letters :). Sorry.

Fiberawptic, while this scammer is logged into your account, he's going to be messaging your friends giving them the same link. They are going to post on a forum saying 'THAT FIBERAWPTIC....STOLE MY ACCOUNT'. So think about it for a second, isn't it more likely your friend who was nice to you had probably got his Steam account hijacked beforehand and used his friends e.g. YOU, to get more easy steals.

Anyway, please report it to Steam Support immediately.

Christ, your right. Never thought about that, jesus christ. great, now when i get my account back im going to get banned because Valves gonna think ive been scamming my friends. **** those bastards are clever. Then again, valve just needs to go back to the source of it all, which is that steam group who has been promoting this scam. ban the ****er who is admin of it (look at his profile, he has NO steam games but claims to be a L4D master).

I did inform Steam support yesterday of it. Ive given them all the info they need to give me my account back (CD keys) so im not to worried about that, and i also told them to nail these guys hard. Letting them get away with this would be a crime in itself. I'm going to email some of the Steam forum admins about it to because thats what they encourage too.

Well at least the scammers are getting more creative.
Anyway it serves you right for being greedy, you just couldn't wait huh, you wanted to play that DLC now even though if Valve were to do a sneek preview it would be open to everyone. I can see more like this happening with Episode 3. If it sounds to good to be true then it fake.

Yea, pretty clever, but a thorn in my ass never the less. Greedy isn't the right word nor was i doing anything wrong, he said valve officially released a L4D preview exclusive so i did what you or anyone else would do, check it out. Shit happens....

(look at his profile, he has NO steam games but claims to be a L4D master).

And you didn't think that was suspicious a L4D master who doesn't own any games? Don't even think about starting to trust anyone on Steam who doesn't own any games, most of them are scammers trying to scam you without the risk of losing games themselves. Remember if Valve were to release a sneek preview you would get it automatically though Steam or it will allow to to participate in your Steam options under beta participation" If Valve were to do anything official check the main Steam site don't bother with links from other people.
A good security practice is to always check the URL before signing into anything especially when your account is valuable. When ever i sign into any website i always have a quick look at the URL for mistakes.

Yes, i once almost logged in on a site called H0tmail, a copy of the original site.

And you didn't think that was suspicious a L4D master who doesn't own any games? Don't even think about starting to trust anyone on Steam who doesn't own any games, most of them are scammers trying to scam you without the risk of losing games themselves. Remember if Valve were to release a sneek preview you would get it automatically though Steam or it will allow to to participate in your Steam options under beta participation" If Valve were to do anything official check the main Steam site don't bother with links from other people.
A good security practice is to always check the URL before signing into anything especially when your account is valuable. When ever i sign into any website i always have a quick look at the URL for mistakes.

DUDE, do you think i did a full inspection of every part of that 'promo' before falling victim of it? NO, i just followed the link and boom, i found out my account was hacked AND THEN i sniffed around in the dirt. THEN i realized that admin had no games.

You can continue with the shame on you for being dumb routine, i was expecting it anyway, but all that matters is the future and i want to make sure no one else is scammed like me. I was doing everyone a favor bringing it to your attention, not trying to be a monkey in a cage for you to laugh at.

Everythings set guys! Got my account back by steam (the angels). Glenn, you were so right, i talked to the guy who scammed me. Its actually a funny story because i noticed he was online so i was gonna start bullying him for what he did to me. i said "hey there!" "Do you wanna see an Episode 3 trailer! Sneek preview! Exclusive! just click on the following site!" he was like "Meh, **** off you scammer, your not getting my account this time!" Then i was like "uhhhh, i thought you scammed me" turns out someone got his account too and spread the scam to his friends on his friends list. hes all good now though.

Tip for alll you guys. Never, and i mean NEVER disclose your account name and password unless you see this window and THATS IT
screen.jpg

It seems like a lot of effort by people to get Steam accounts. What do you get with someone else's name/password? All their games? Their stats? Once it's reported, the games are no good, right? There must be some other reason why people are after Steam accounts.

Perhaps Steam accounts are simply baseboards for getting something else important. Maybe they're just a stop in the trip to finding out someone's info.

I dunno. I'm not a scammer, though I do promote [strike]Scam[/strike]ShamWOW. ShamWOW: You're gonna love my nuts!

It seems like a lot of effort by people to get Steam accounts. What do you get with someone else's name/password? All their games? Their stats? Once it's reported, the games are no good, right? There must be some other reason why people are after Steam accounts.

I'm not sure either, I've been thinking about that. it would be stupid if they thougt they were gonna have that account for good and play those games all they want. Everyone i know who's gotten their account stolen has gotten it back pretty quick. The account crackers should just give up all together because people can get their account back 2-4 days...

To be honest, i think its like why would anyone try to give a computer a virus? They aren't gaining anything, just trying to piss people off and make things frustrating for them, same as account hijackers who make us have to wait a few days to get back on...

I'm not sure either, I've been thinking about that. it would be stupid if they thougt they were gonna have that account for good and play those games all they want. Everyone i know who's gotten their account stolen has gotten it back pretty quick. The account crackers should just give up all together because people can get their account back 2-4 days...

To be honest, i think its like why would anyone try to give a computer a virus? They aren't gaining anything, just trying to piss people off and make things frustrating for them, same as account hijackers who make us have to wait a few days to get back on...

Well during that time could use that account to cheat. They'll be able to cheat on Vac secured servers then by the time the legit owner gets his account back he is Vac banned. I've seen that happen loads of times.

Actually, most viruses are keyloggers as well that try to eat up your personal infos.

So that they can get games for free. They can finish playing some of your games before you get your account back, and they can also cheat as much as they want without repercussions.

You do know you can edit you post, you don't need to double post to correct your mistake.

Back