Entangelment Chapter Turret Trick

K

KoryME

*Spoilers*

I'm sure we all agree that the hardest part in the Entanglement chapter was the "stand-off" where you were given three turret guns and four directions to guard. The soldiers threw grenades at your turrets, there seemed to be hundreds of soldiers, and on top of that you had to fight off manhacks.

While playing the game on Hard my second time through (I didn't want to turn the difficulty down if I got stuck) I found a trick to make this part easier. In the control room where you find out Mossman is a traitor you are given two turret guns to fend off the oncoming soldiers. Luckily there you only have two directions to defend.

The trick is to take both turrets you get in that control room to the "stand-off" room. It's not easy because you have a few stair wells, an electrified/flooded room, and some twisty, zombie-filled hallways to navigate. The stairs aren't difficult if you keep your view tilted up so the turrets don't drag. In the flooded room simply use the gravity gun to throw them as far as you can, pick them up later, and throw them the rest of the way. Don't worry, they still work if they've been in the water.

The turrets can be usefull on your way. Use them to peek around corners and to clear rooms of zombies and head crabs. Once you get them to the "stand-off" room you will have plenty of turrets to help.

Still this doesn't mean you can just sit back and watch. I recommend setting four turrets up in the obvious four corners positions. Keep them far enough apart so that one grenade won't take out two turrets but try to keep them close enough to the windows so you can easily see if one is down.

If you brought the fifth turret I recommend setting it in the corner under the 2nd floor walkway pointing into the room. If you put this one here it is safe from grenades, covers you if you have to set a turret up, and will shoot down any manhacks that are in your room. I hope this helps you out!

-KoryME

Or you could make it really easy and set up 2 turrets in one of the holding cells on the outside walls in that standoff and stand back behind them and use the gravity gun to keep grenades out until the combine stop coming :)

Even simpler: Get in the little room. One turret on your left, one on the right. Pray. I did it that way. Oh, and I tossed any grenades back at them.

:D

I did grag one of the turrets with me. Its not hard, where you have to jump over water I just tossed it to the other side with the gravity gun.

So I just placed them to defend all Combine entry points and picked them up if Combine managed to knock them over.

I blocked up an entrance at the turret room end, and lined them up there. You need to keep an eye on the turret room but apart from that it's no problem.

hehe, nice idea. I will need it on hard for sure. Normal was tricky enough with 3.

Was I the only idiot who set up 3 turrets, got them knocked down fast, and didn't realise they could be picked back up (using e didn't seem to get them upright). So, except for a few first soldiers whom the turrents killed, I had to kill the rest myself. I saw it was insanely hard and knew I must be doing something wrong, though!

I just built a stack of boxes, set up the turrets and climbed up to the balcony. From there I could pick off all the combine soldiers from relative safety.

Easier than all of that. Fill up on health and ammo. Place one turret to protect three out of the four gates. Get in the cell behind the bed a kill anything that comes into range. When you hear a banging, that's Alyx coming through a duct. At this point venture out and kill any remaining baddies. Alyx appears and all is well

Jez

i stacked some boxes to climb up to the balcony on the top right-hand side, then i placed all of the turrents below it. From up there i just used a shotgun. easy peasy :) The first time i tried this part i died instantly, i didnt realise that the combines only attack once you pick up the third turrent :p

I set up two turrets, one left and one right of a cell entrance. I barricaded the two turrets to try and minimize the grenade damage. I took the third turret and held it with my gravity gun, pointing it in whatever direction they came. Easy.

Help! I really don't care to slog back and try and carry additional turrets to the cell block, especially since carrying them is a huge pain in the ass with it getting tangled with everything along the way.

Now, I've searched and read all the hints, but barracading in a cell/office hasn't worked as once a turret falls I find it near impossible to set it back up. So, what's the secret to "righting" a fallen turret. Trying to lean it up against something till it falls right is a looser. (Someone said to look up with the turret and then put it down, but that doesnt work either).

Maybe if they saw fit to include a freaking manual, it would tell me how to manipulate items without the constant pick up, drop against something, fail, try again nonsense. So much for a great physics engine when you can't do something that would take 3 seconds in real life!!!

Also, others have mentioned "activating" the turrets, well whats the secret there as well? The minute I pick it up/put it down it activates, and if I should step in front of it it opens fire on me. Is there some key to turning them off till I'm ready to use them?

Some have said to turn the turrets around in their lockers, activate them, and then hide in the empty locker. Ok, but how do you turn it around in a 180, and not have it shoot you in the face! Arghhh. After about 20 tries of each of these hints, I'm almost ready to uninstall the game!

I just set up three in a row, and I sat behind each one with the shotgun and gravity gun in hand. Every grenade I saw, I just picked up and threw away. :D And, Risuli, pick up the turret with the gravity gun, and just keep hitting it on the ground. Once it beocomes up-right again, let it down lightly with the RMB. Hope it helps, and enjoy the game! :)

point your crosshair at the head of the turret and press use. picking it up that way will always cause it to land on it's feet when u put it down.

Yeah i piled up boxes, dropped the turrets on a small balcony on the left hand side, and i just watched the combine fall down.
I occasionally had to pick up some of the turrets though.

I didn't find this portion of the game hard at all. I only used 2 turrets. I went into a Cell and put one turret in the left corner, the other turret in the right corner-then I crouched in the middle cradling my shotgun. At that point, there's basically nothing that can knock them down. Oh, I also think you have to choose a cell that isn't facing a long hallway - that way they can't just stand back and snipe.

i lost all the turrets pretty quickly so i pulled out the shotgun and went into one of the lockers the turrets came from. Combine appears, I click and his body hits the wall along with a lot of blood.

Solver said:
Was I the only idiot who set up 3 turrets, got them knocked down fast, and didn't realise they could be picked back up (using e didn't seem to get them upright). So, except for a few first soldiers whom the turrents killed, I had to kill the rest myself. I saw it was insanely hard and knew I must be doing something wrong, though!

I did exactly the same :) Didn't camp in a locker either, I just relied on a happy strategy of bunnyhopping, headhunting with the shotgun, and quickloading. For ages. Felt like I'd really accomplished something though, and is one of my most memorable moments from the game.

I tried everything, I can't do it. I must've died 15 times. I'm about to break out the haxz because this part is pissing me off real good

fragShader said:
point your crosshair at the head of the turret and press use. picking it up that way will always cause it to land on it's feet when u put it down.

Yeah, it's actually extremely simple to set the turrets up if you just use your hands.
If you use the manipulator, it's basically impossible to set them upright.

This was one of my favorite parts of the game. I love setting up your own turrets. It's kinda revenge for all the evil turrets in HL1.

lol, i'm glad i found this thread and it's good to know i'm not the only one having trouble here. man i've tried setting one at the mouth of both cells with the last at the door of the ammo room all covering each other. Barricading one side of the ammo room and setting up a the turrets to the back of the barricade, triangluar setup in that room, just outside the other opening and nothing works, but even so, it's been alot of fun trying!!

I think I'll try that balcony trick now, thanks!! :thumbs:

For me this was probably the most fun part of the entire game. There were just so many ways to go about solving it with so little to work with. I've only gotten through it two ways so far. One was piling crap up blocking the left side (if facing the turret cabinets) putting up two turrets and holding the other one (so as not to be arsed with ammo), setting it down to gravgun manhacks. That was the first one. The second was the cheesy-ass way. Getting up to the balcony and being camp-tastic.

Looks like I'm not unique in either solution, but I still felt great after getting through it. Damn games... giving me a false sense of accomplishment. =]

I never had any trouble putting the turrets back up. When you use the manipulator to pick up the turrets they auto-turn into an upwards position...

I piled a whole bunch of boxes on top top of the turrets, and wedged it under a balcoony, even if the grenades hit them, the couldn't turn over since they were so tightly wedged.

I got stuck on this part also and some1 mentioned an unbelieveably easy ass way to do it and it actually worked 4 me :D. What you do is just set all 3 turrets up where u actually get them and then stay in the empty locker and w8 for the combine soldiers. They can't knock em down well as they'll just be knocked side to side by grenades although they sometimes manage to knock em over. Also when they're trying to knock em over just shoot em but be aware as some soldiers will spot u and just use your grav gun for the manhacks. Another good reason for this is that the health and armour are really close by as well.

SIN55 said:
I tried everything, I can't do it. I must've died 15 times. I'm about to break out the haxz because this part is pissing me off real good

If you hack, the game will be spoiled for you, you will never forgive yourself.

When I replayed Entanglement it was so easy, because I knew that turrets could be picked up after they were shot down. So it was way too easy!

First time I set up the turrets and when they fell over it took me ages to set them up again so what I did was when the turrets fell over I ran out and kept moving and strafing and shooting and using the overwatch gun secondary to take out quite a few combine. I finished with 7 health on my second go.

we11er said:
If you hack, the game will be spoiled for you, you will never forgive yourself.
yeah I know :(
that's why I'm resisting the temptation. I never hack.

I used boxes to get back up to the area above where there's an office. I got all of the stuff from there and used it all to create a baricade around one of the cells, having set up two of the sentries in there pointing towards the hole in which was only big enough for a crouch -jump in.

I set up the final gun pointing from the outside towards the entrance and hid.

Lost only a couple of health points and no ammo :D

Risuli said:
Some have said to turn the turrets around in their lockers, activate them, and then hide in the empty locker. Ok, but how do you turn it around in a 180, and not have it shoot you in the face! Arghhh. After about 20 tries of each of these hints, I'm almost ready to uninstall the game!

They're not supposed to shoot you.

But that does work. The turrets will NEVER fall over, due to their backs being up against the locker.

Man, if you use that locker trick it's a piece of cake. Just pick a turret out of the locker, hold it and turn it 180 degrees. Put it down and walk in front of it (make sure you have enough space left to do so, they should not fire at you :)). Pick it up and put it back in the locker. Now do so with the remaining two, get your shotgun and hide in the empty locker. Watch those combine fall! If one gets through, just finish him off with your shotgun. I played the game on hard and I didn't lose one single healthpoint.

I use the ammo hallway as my defensive position. Place each turret's back leg into a narrow space (see pics) so they stay upright. Crouch behind the ammo box and spam smg or use shotty when necessary.

I think I still had 98 health at the end of that.

:cheese: I am in tthis stage too.... managed to kill all soldiers once however I did not save and re-started from here. However this time no soldiers arrive,altough I hear the 'girl' saying that soldiers are on the way!

can someone help ?

Back