Entire ErikJ log with HL2/Steam info

V

Viscid

[23:38] <ErikJ> We're still working on a couple of bugs.

[23:38] <ErikJ> There are a couple of bugs in Steam we'd like to take care of before release.

[23:39] <ErikJ> ASHTOK - No, these will be the same videos as E3. But in much higher resolution.

[23:40] <ErikJ> I'm pretty sure they will be 1024*768.

[23:41] <ErikJ> They will be pretty huge. We'll break them up into sections and release them one at a time. All told, it will be close to 800MB worth of vide.

[23:41] <ErikJ> And it should look pretty close to what the game will look like.

[23:41] <ErikJ> It's about 25 minutes worth of footage.

[23:43] <ErikJ> Ritchey - Here comes the changelog:
[23:43] <ErikJ> - Fixed assert that would manifest itself as a Zero tickets error
[23:43] <ErikJ> - Changed Steam updating icon to a static one.
[23:43] <ErikJ> - Reworked UI for Steam updating.
[23:43] <ErikJ> - A number of optimizations to the Steam backend.

[23:45] <ErikJ> ASHTOK - We're getting close on CZ.

[23:45] <SubCS> i just wanna know 1 thing... bink/.mov/or .avi
[23:45] <ErikJ> Bink.

[23:46] <devttys0> ErikJ - are you going to release this media only though steam?
[23:47] <ErikJ> They will be available on your hard drive to share after you get them from Steam.

[23:48] <Vitalogy> Dev, I talked to John and he said that it will only officially be released on Steam and then people can release it wherever they want.
[23:49] <ErikJ> Vitalogy - That is correct.

[23:49] <Apos> so when a connection drops, steam has to restart downloading from the beginning all over again?
[23:49] <ErikJ> Apos - No, it'll resume.

[23:51] <Joeysluck> Erik-.... how soon is... soon?... I really dont feel like waiting another week...
[23:51] <ErikJ> Joeysluck - I don't feel like you waiting another week either.

[23:52] <BWMASTER> Erik: Is there any chanse that we will be seeing anything new in this week?
[23:52] <ErikJ> Yes, there will be more stuff this week.

[23:53] <LoneDeranger> will we get the video with the APC falling of the cliff by any chance?
[23:54] <ErikJ> Video falling off a cliff, was that in the e3 demo?

[23:55] <ErikJ> The first set of media that we release over Steam will be the e3 videos. It's not going to be the last set of media we release there.

[23:55] <ASHOK> John Cook is a terrorist.
[23:55] <ErikJ> ASHTOK - I agree wholeheartedly.

[23:57] <ErikJ> Joeysluck - It goes back a long ways. We have been at odds fighting the battle of good (me) and evil (JohnC).

[23:57] <ThrasherX9> Erik: just a quick Q. When do you decide to release new media?
[23:57] <ErikJ> Thrasher - When it's ready. We have a few things left to do.

[23:58] <synth> ERIK: do you think the game will make the sept 30 release date?
[23:58] <ErikJ> synth - Yes.

[23:59] <Pressure> Erik: If i payed you a million bagillion dollars could I get HL2 tomorrow?
[23:59] <ErikJ> Pressure - Sure.

[00:01] <[PD]Strife> Eric: Is the new video just a direct feed of whatyou showed at E3? Or are there any new suprises?
[00:02] <ErikJ> Strife - It's the direct feed for starters.

[00:04] <devttys0> however, yesterday...steam.exe was taking 99% of my CPU time. after I chose to "exit steam"
[00:04] <ErikJ> devttys0 - We're going to *hopefully* fix that tomorrow.

[00:05] <synth> erik: it would be good if you had some kind of main window where you posted news, updates, etc.
[00:05] <ErikJ> Synth - Yes, I agree.
[00:05] <ErikJ> Synth - Talk to greg0r about that.

[00:05] <Viscid> ErikJ: You know if anyone else outside of Valve has plans to use Steam? I'm guessing that's the world-domination goal that steam is trying to accomplish..
[00:05] <ErikJ> Viscid - Yes, there have been some interest.

[00:05] <omlette> Erik - An option to disable Steam from starting up with windows would be great. Any plans to implement that? (And bring back the animated icon! :D)
[00:06] <ErikJ> omlette - There already is one. Check in Settings.

[00:06] <OD-Black_Fire> Erikj- How do you think the source engine stands up to STALKERS X-Ray engine? I'm trying to fiqure out between the two to make my mod for
[00:06] <ErikJ> OD-Black_Fire - You'd have to check them both out and decide for yourself. I'm not sure of what kind of MOD you're developing. We've tried to make it as best we can.

[00:08] <Pressure> Erik: Will the math equations at the end of this new enhanced movie be more clear then the last? I LOVE MATH
[00:09] <ErikJ> Pressure - We've replaced all of them with pretty paintings. We're kinda down on math at Valve right now.

[00:10] <ErikJ> synth - We do plan to sell products on Steam. Don't worry, if you already own a game, we're not going to charge you again. It's just for new customers/products.

[00:10] <devttys0> ErikJ - What kind of payments will be appropriate for purchasing games through steam? Only CC? What about other online transaction services such as paypal?
[00:11] <ErikJ> devttys0 - We haven't finalized that yet.

[00:11] <OD-Black_Fire> Erick- How much HDD space will hl2 take up?
[00:11] <ErikJ> OD - A lot.

[00:13] <devttys0> EricJ - Will steam's billing system be run using a large Oracle DB?
[00:13] <ErikJ> devttys0 - No, it runs on Berkley and SQL.

[00:15] <blob> Erik: Will Hl2 support the new 64-bit processors by Intel and AMD
[00:19] <ErikJ> Sven Co-Op is a cool mod. Saw that at the last Mod Expo. Got to meet Sven, who I've chatted with since before Half-Life 1 was released.

[00:23] <omlette> ErikJ - Do you have any plans to include the "tech demo" map in the full game? Possibly as a bonus as such? Same thing for the maniuplator gun used there? An answer would be appriciated. =) (Sorry for being forced to repeat myself.)
[00:23] <ErikJ> omlette - Not sure about that.

[00:23] <Viscid> ErikJ: Steam is ugly. When can we skin it? =P
[00:23] <ErikJ> Viscid - You should let greg0r know about that.

[00:23] <Rabid_Llama> Erik: Another stupid movie question, sorry. Does the new movie release have the demo playback fixes in it, or is it the exact same video as at E3 (but a direct feed instead of shakycam)?
[00:24] <ErikJ> Rabid - It'll be a direct feed. It should look close to exactly what the game will look like.

[00:23] <synth> ERIK: what kind of features>
[00:24] <ErikJ> synth - Steam is a pretty long term project, there are too many to list.

[00:25] <ErikJ> devttys0 - Having it really tightly integrated with the game was something that was really important to us.

[00:25] <Automator> can any valve staff comment on cz being done already, and it being held back by valve and/or sierra?0
[00:25] <ErikJ> Automator - It's not done yet. Soon.

[00:30] <ErikJ> Looks like we've been busted.
[00:30] <ErikJ> I have to run for the night, it was nice chatting with you all.

Somebody should slap that guy in the face, the one who asked which engine is better hl2 of stalker... Thats kind of a rude question to ask someone that works for valve

I think this made up for the delay.. dont you?:dozey:

Well this stuff is gona be all over HL2 websites tomorrow, for sure. :)

damn.. ray escaped
/me freezes ray back in cryogenic tube

lets see if this thread gets an incredibly high view count...i just posted a news item about it on my page, and i'd imagine other HL2 sites will too soon. I really don't know how much traffic we get that actually reads the news, so it might not be much :)

cheers on the good thread anyways.

haha, yeah. that was complete chaos last night. gj w/ editing out all the crap. although you should edit it and put in where ritchey set +m, it would make it better :D

I edited out all of the personal/dumb questions that he amazingly answered.

Nice read man. Well then, hopefully we'll see more media this week...

Man the first chapter of Half-Life 2 is hard but the graphics are amazing and the gameplay is awesome...Oh wait you guys didn't give Erik a million bagillion dollars so you don't have HL2 yet.

ha ha...

I have a million bagillion dollars.. but I gave it to chairty :dozey:

I put my million bagillion dollars into my computer so my HL2 will look beter than you HL2!

(Im kidding) and this post is retarded

btw for those who were wondering.. this was in #steam on Gamesnet... it happened after the release of Steam 7 like maybe 5 hours or so.... and who really cares what time it happened as long as it did :p

Back