Episode 1 Soundtrack

S

Siliconmaster482

Now that the soundtracks for Episodes One and Two are out, has anyone arranged the Episode One tracks in game order? I saw that someone had done the same for Episode Two here.

If no one has worked this out yet, I'll probably either just guess or replay Episode One to find out. Thanks!

Let's see how reliable the ol' memory is...

1. Disrupted Original (Seeing the extent of the damage after entering the Citadel)
2. Combine Advisory (The red room)
3. Infraradiant (Entering the core)
4. Darkness at Noon (The first dark corridor in Lowlife "I can't see a thing")
5. Self Destruction (Zombine - first encounter. I only just noticed how fitting the description is, the Combine used headcrabs as biological weapons only to fall victim to them themselves)
6. Decay Mode (Powering up the elevator)
7. Eine Klenier Elevatormuzik (The elevator battle)
8. Guard Down (The streetfight with Overwatch soldiers after killing the Antlion Guard in Urban Flight)
9. What Kind of Hospital Is This? (The hospital battle)
10. Penultimatum (The Strider fight in the trainyard)

There are also a few tracks from the HL2 soundtrack reused here and there that I didn't include. For example, Negative Pressure was used during the elevator ride down to the core in the Citadel.

Ripping them out of the game is the easiest way. Use GCFScape. The music is stored in Steam\SteamApps\episode 1 shared.gcf

There was a list of the filenames and corresponding titles on the Wikipedia Episode One page until some bright spark decided it was unnecessary and removed it. :rolleyes:
I dug it out of the page history, however. Here it is.

Track list:

1. VLVX_song1 - "Disrupted Original" - 1:18
2. VLVX_song2 - "Combine Advisory" - 1:54
3. VLVX_song4 - "Guard Down" - 1:39
4. VLVX_song8 - "Darkness at Noon" - 0:56
5. VLVX_song11 - "Self Destruction" - 2:00
6. VLVX_song12 - "Eine Kleiner Elevatormuzik" - 1:18
7. VLVX_song18 - "What Kind of Hospital Is This?" - 3:04
8. VLVX_song19a - "Infraradiant" - 4:37
9. VLVX_song19b - "Decay Mode" - 3:06
10. VLVX_song21 - "Penultimatum" - 2:49

Thanks for the help. I prefer listening to soundtracks in order. It's fun to recreate the game musically as opposed to random techno songs, even though they're fun anyway. :D

And of course the last question, which everyone will probably balk at, is whether anyone has set out enough free time to run through Half-Life 1 and 2 and arrange those tracks in order. I don't expect a full list by any means, since there are over 50 tracks on that list. :p Those are also more recognizable due to the names and the music itself. I'll try my hand at it this afternoon.

This is from memory so it may not be totally accurate.

This list doesn't include "stingers", which are short pieces of music only seconds long used for "shock" moments and the like. (One was used at that point in Route Kanal where the CPs beat the civilian in the tunnel, for example.)

Also, some tracks are used more than once.

1. Shadows Fore And Aft (Intro)
2. Trainstation PT.1 (Leaving the train station, first sight of the Citadel)
3. Trainstation PT.2 (On the run from the CPs across the rooftops)
4. A Red Letter Day (entering Kleiner's Lab)
5. Hazardous Environments (putting on the HEV suit)
6. Our Resurrected Teleport (teleport sequence in Kleiner's Lab)
7. Apprehension and Evasion (running from the cops in the trainyard)
8. CP Violation (evading the cops along the train tracks)
9. Zero Point Energy Field (moving through the storm drain system)
10. CP Violation (Remix) (plays before and during the manhack chamber full of explosive barrels)
11. Suppression Field (Leaving the city storm drain system and entering the canal proper, shortly before reaching the Resistance camp with the airboat)
12. Probably Not a Problem (Zombie infested refugee camp)
13. Lambda Core (Hunter-Chopper chases you through the wetlands)
14. You're Not Supposed To Be Here (Action sequence after you leave the Resistance camp where your Airboat is provided with a Pulse cannon)
15. Hunter Down (Hunter-Chopper destroyed)
16. Escape Array (Enter Black Mesa East)
17. Black Mesa Inbound ("So, here we are. The scrapyard.")
18. Ravenholm Reprise (Enter Ravenholm)
19. Requiem for Ravenholm (Leaving the graveyard)
20. Particle Ghost (Emerging from the mines into the morning light)
21. Triage at Dawn (Admitted to Shorepoint base)
22. Dark Energy (Speeding across the seabed in the Buggy)
23. Slow Light (After destroying the gunship at N.L.O.)
24. Tau-9 (Using the crane at the docks)
25. Lab Practicum (Moving along the underpinnings of the rail bridge)
26. Sand Traps (The zombie infested road tunnel)
27. Highway 17 (Finding the isolated three-story house with the burnt corpses outside)
28. Something Secret Steers Us (Lighthouse Point battle)
29. Calabi-Yau Model (Entering the Vortigaunt camp)
30. Apprehension and Evasion (Antlion beach assault)
31. Nova Prospekt (Entering the cell block)
32. Dirac Shore (Flooded and electrified room in Nova Prospekt)
33. Singularity (Entering the Nova Prospekt teleport chamber)
34. Lab Practicum (Return to Kleiner's lab)
35. The Innsbruck Experiment (Dog tears up a squad of Combine soldiers at the start of Anticitizen One)
36. Radio (plays on the TV in the ruined apartment block)
37. Broken Symmetry (Meeting up with a squad of Resistance members in the train station square)
38. Hard Fought (Street battle, assaulting the Civil Protection fortification)
39. Hard Fought (During the battle with Overwatch Soldiers and manhacks in the road tunnel.)
40. Echoes of a Resonance Cascade (In the abandoned road tunnel flooded with toxic waste)
41. Brane Scan (Defending Alyx while she disables the generator)
42. Triple Entanglement (Entering the old maintenance tunnels after Alyx is captured)
43. Calabi-Yau Model (Entering the zombie infested office building where Barney is pinned down)
44. Kaon (Fighting the gunship on the roof of the Overwatch Nexus)
45. Pulse Phase (Strider battle on the steps of the Nexus)
46. LG Orbifold (This epic song plays as you fight through the streets, taking shelter from Striders in ruined cafes and eventually making it into the ruined office building.
47. Neutrino Trap (Citadel Foundations)
48. Echoes of a Resonance Cascade (Pod ride through the Citadel)
49. Negative Pressure (Citadel combat)
50. Xen Relay (The Gravity Gun is confiscated as you are taken to Breen's office)
51. Pulse Phase (Entering the Portal chamber)
52. Tracking Device (Credits)

I couldn't edit my original post, but 'CrawlYard' appears earlier than my original Episode Two list claims.

1. Extinction Event Horizon (Train at beginning)
2. Vortal Combat (Vortiguants fight swarms of antlions in the turret scenario)
3. Nectarium (Cecil gets the Antlion nectar extract)
4. CrawlYard (Gordon Freeman in: Return of the Killer Radioactive Zombie Infested Goo that you must Place Stepping Stones in to Traverse Safely to the Other Side!)
5. Hunting Party (Alyx and Gordon fight their first Hunters)
6. Shu'ulathoi (Alyx and Gordon find the hibernating advisor)
7. Sector Sweep (Alyx and Gordon face the combine and Helicopter the Advisor calls)
8. No One Rides for Free (Gordon and Alyx drive off in the upgraded hotrod)
9. Eon Trap (The siege at White Forest Inn)
10. Abandoned in Place (Gordon versus Combine in Secondary Silo)
11. Last Legs (Second wave of Striders in final Battle)
12. Dark Interval (Climatic scene)

I've played through a number of times now, is Inhuman Frequency even in there?

Ha. Thanks, everyone. These lists should probably be stuck in the wiki or somewhere where other people will be able to use them. I must say, you guys have really impressed me. Guess I came to the right place. :cheers:

As for Inhuman Frequency, I'm not exactly the best at placing music in games, but I don't directly remember it. It may have been underneath a battle where we couldn't hear it clearly, or during a "we're running through the base" sequence where it wouldn't have been noticed.

:D I know have all Episode 1, Episode 2 and Portal music files thanks to this thread, listening to 'Combine Advisory' now :D

I couldn't edit my original post, but 'CrawlYard' appears earlier than my original Episode Two list claims.

1. Extinction Event Horizon (Train at beginning)
2. Vortal Combat (Vortiguants fight swarms of antlions in the turret scenario)
3. Nectarium (Cecil gets the Antlion nectar extract)
4. CrawlYard (Gordon Freeman in: Return of the Killer Radioactive Zombie Infested Goo that you must Place Stepping Stones in to Traverse Safely to the Other Side!)
5. Hunting Party (Alyx and Gordon fight their first Hunters)
6. Shu'ulathoi (Alyx and Gordon find the hibernating advisor)
7. Sector Sweep (Alyx and Gordon face the combine and Helicopter the Advisor calls)
8. No One Rides for Free (Gordon and Alyx drive off in the upgraded hotrod)
9. Eon Trap (The siege at White Forest Inn)
10. Abandoned in Place (Gordon versus Combine in Secondary Silo)
11. Last Legs (Second wave of Striders in final Battle)
12. Dark Interval (Climatic scene)

I've played through a number of times now, is Inhuman Frequency even in there?

inhuman frequency is at the gman scene

Wow MattyDienhoff, that's perfect! Something I've always thought about.

Anyone else notice how strange it is that the Highway 17 track plays at the start of Sandtraps? Indicates to me that they did some map switching during development (Lost Coast maybe? that was said to be between Highway 17 and Sandtraps, before it got cut)

Another place with something similar is the chapter screen for Follow Freeman. It clearly shows the manhacks in the sewers, but that's still Anticitizen one! One map short again.

I don't remember anything like that in the Episode though.

Yeah, I noticed that. From what I've read, Valve did indeed shuffle the maps around a fair bit during development. The music was probably recorded and titled before the order of the chapters was settled on, so that's probably why some tracks are inappropriately titled.

Thanks, Slayer, but I was referring to the Game Order lists. :) Not sure if it's important enough to put on the main wikipedia page, but maybe the HL2 wiki, and a link at the bottom of the wikipedia page?
Also, those lists don't have the filenames next to the titles, so they're little use to someone who's trying to tag their files properly. I think it's safe to say that only a few have the actual soundtrack CDs and the rest ripped the music from the game itself.

Back