Episode 2: Valve Targets October and Episode 3 Underway

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Eurogamer has delivered a huge slice of Valve shaped news around the internet giving us that flutter in the heart once again. The episode 2, portal and team fortress 2 package is set for an October release according to Doug Lombardi, some will say take it with a pinch of salt, the others have true faith! Full article on EP2 Release[br]With regard to Episode three, it seems it's gone past paper and things are moving along.
Pre-production is definitely going, and it'll be ramping up rather quickly now that they're ramping down on Episode Two
Lombardi also mentions that by the time Episode 3 comes round, we'll be a long way from the City 17 days. Full article on EP3 pre-production[br]Oh and while I have your attention, check out this interview with Gabe Newell regarding Episodic content and much more, a good read. I'll leave you to digest that for now.

That is precisely why they're great at making games. They polish and finish everything. Play the singleplayer campaigns of C&C3. Although it's a good game, it's SP is incomplete and lacks polish. Some missions are glitched and some effects and scences are pitifuly. That is what you get for basing completion time on release dates, and not the other way around as Valve does.

Read this yesterday really interesting read, cant wait for the 2nd part.

Oh another delay. It's ok...we passed the stage of anger.

What delay?? They said months ago that it would be fall.

Oh, I love the quote about returning to City 17: "At least not in Episode 3." :smoking:

You would think that Valve would want to create some space between their big Xbox 360 release and Halo 3. You can't deny that Halo will probably take a chunk of sales away from EP2 and TF2 now that they are going to be released within weeks of each other.

I suppose thats just how it goes sometimes...

I am glad they're not waiting any longer, thats for sure!

Don't count your chickens ........

Valve's legion of fans can start drawing whacking great circles around October, according to marketing director Doug Lombardi. Lombardi said as much to Eurogamer during a recent visit to the studio to make cooing noises about its Q4 line-up, although he admitted that it wasn't a dead cert. When is it ever?

You would think that Valve would want to create some space between their big Xbox 360 release and Halo 3. You can't deny that Halo will probably take a chunk of sales away from EP2 and TF2 now that they are going to be released within weeks of each other.

I suppose thats just how it goes sometimes...

So what? Let all the 12 year olds get Halo 3 and let the big boys who actually know what games are get the Black and Orange boxes. Valve are going to sell a tremendous amount for the PC and the consoles, I guarantee it.

At least we know that they are working on Ep3 at this stage meaning Ep2 shouldn't be delayed any more (or much more)

Its almost certain that Valve will get good reviews in all the magazines - mostly becuase its going to be a very good deal for console owners... I agree releasing near Halo is asking for trouble, but we'll see - It'll likely slip a few more weeks and it'll miss the Halo 3 hype. Anyway, Halo only affects the XBox 360 - it doesn't affect the PS3 (which will probably be an inferior port) or the PC...

HL2 Black Box has been cancelled.

"The Black Box has been cancelled," said Doug Lombardi, Valve's director of marketing. "We're going to have one package, The Orange Box, available on the PC (US$49.99) as well as the 360 and PS3 (US$ 59.99). In addition to the three new products -- Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life: Episode Two -- The Orange Box will also contain the full version of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One. Those who purchase the PC version of The Orange Box will get three separate Steam product codes: One for the three new games, one for HL2, and one for Episode One. This way a PC Orange Box owner can give away their Half-Life 2 or Episode One unused Steam product codes if they don't need a copy of those games. We are excited to deliver the highest value of new gaming content ever offered in one box."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/790/790013p1.html

WTF why cancel the black box. Great now we have spend more to get the same :(

Think the three games will still be released as a bundle on Steam though... crafty Valve :naughty:

I'm a diehard Valve fan, but I'm not going to spend 20$ more to get 2 games I already have in the hope that someone
I know will buy it from me (which will NEVER happen, everyone pirates stuff here).

I will now proceed to cry. ;( ;(

Its 10$ more and if you don't think TFC2, EP2, and Portal are worth the regular retail price of $50 then your out of your mind.

Its the smart thing to do, new players wont get confused, and old players will get to share some free games like HL2, and EP1 with friends that arent sure if they want to buy it. PERFECT for everyone.

I'm confused, are the games inseparable from each other: If I for example just want Portal, or just EP2, or just TF2, I'd be out of luck?

Or will Steam offer the individual games?

AH!!!! This is the one time in my entire life that I am incredibly ******* mad at valve!!!!!!!!!!!! :flame: I'll buy the 360 version just so I don't pay for games I already have!!!!!!!

Its 10$ more and if you don't think TFC2, EP2, and Portal are worth the regular retail price of $50 then your out of your mind.

Then count me as one out of my mind.

All the ballyhoo about episodic content is being negated by the fact that Valve is pushing products onto us that we already have.

It may only be an extra $10 which makes no difference to me finaancially but I refuse to pay for games I have already bought!!

Think the three games will still be released as a bundle on Steam though... crafty Valve :naughty:

Agreed, all this black box/orange box talk is strictly retail units, though countless people who haven't thought it through seem to think otherwise. :LOL:

Agreed, all this black box/orange box talk is strictly retail units, though countless people who haven't thought it through seem to think otherwise.

You can't that is the black box which is now dead. The packages are the exact same on steam and on disc. Valve wouldn't make a different package they didn't with Ep1 why would they do it now and if the packages were different theyt would have explicitly stated that.

You can't that is the black box which is now dead. The packages are the exact same on steam and on disc. Valve wouldn't make a different package they didn't with Ep1 why would they do it now and if the packages were different theyt would have explicitly stated that.

*checks Steam for Package details

Nothing listed so far, which means your entire position is built on assumptions. In the interim I've emailed Gabe Newell (the wonders of the internet) and hopefully we'll get some clarification on the matter. :dozey:

*checks Steam for Package details

Nothing listed so far, which means your entire position is built on assumptions.

Of course it is not listed yet!!!! It wasn't listed when valve announced the details of the ep1 package it is only listed on steam when they are ready for preloading!!! And loandbehold the packages where the exact same on retail and on steam!

Of course it is not listed yet!!!! It wasn't listed when valve announced the details of the ep1 package it is only listed on steam when they are ready for preloading!!! And lo and behold the packages where the exact same on retail and on steam!

Because there was only one package at the time. Now there are multiple elements Valve can pretty much do what they want and I expect that they will offer up 2 -3 Steam versions:-

1) The same as the retail Orange box, which would be for gamers completely new to the HL2 universe.

2) A package that contains EP1 and EP2 as well as the associated extras (TF2 etc.) for those players who already own HL2.

3) A package that contains EP2 as well as Portal and TF2 for those of us who already own HL2 and EP1.

As your Steam game purchases are tied to your steam account (you don't get serial numbers like a retail edition) I'm not seeing there being any logic to them selling you duplicates of games you already own through Steam already (maybe I'm just being level headed here).

I'm not seeing there being any logic to them selling you duplicates of games you already own through Steam already (maybe I'm just being level headed here).

They have done it before. I had got HL2DM with Ep1 when I already had it.

They have done it before. I had got HL2DM with Ep1 when I already had it.

And how much exactly did you pay for HL2DM, before Valve resold it to you with EP1? How much less would EP1 of cost you if you hadn't had HL2DM included?

And how much exactly did you pay for HL2DM, before Valve resold it to you with EP1? How much less would EP1 of cost you if you hadn't had HL2DM included?

$50 included with HL2, CSS and HLS on disc. I do not know how much Ep1 would cost me without Ep1 as there was not a package offering Ep1 and HLDMS witout HL2DM

$50 included with HL2, CSS and HLS on disc. I do not know how much Ep1 would cost me without Ep1 as there was not a package offering Ep1 and HLDMS witout HL2DM

So basically it was bundled for free. It caused absolutely no deficit to you.

So basically it was bundled for free. It caused absolutely no deficit to you.

No it wasn't I could have gotten HL2 for 30 or HL2 and CSS for 40 the extra 10 was for HL2DM and HLS so it was not free.

HL2 didn't ship with HL2DM, it was made available through Steam download after the release.

HL2 didn't ship with HL2DM, it was made available through Steam download after the release.

Well I have a box in my room with CSS HL2 HLS and HL2DM. Also I never said I got HL2 on release.

Well I have a box in my room with CSS HL2 HLS and HL2DM. Also I never said I got HL2 on release.

Trust me..they gave it away for free a few months after the initial game came out via steam. You actually can buy it standalone for $9.95, but only if you don't already have HL2 or EP1 (I suppose there might be some people out there who want this solely).

Anyhows I'm pretty convinced that when EP2 is released via Steam it will come in a couple of different flavours and the existing Steam user base won't be forced to repurchase HL2 or EP1 if they already own them as you claim. In fact I'm so certain of this, I'll even pay for EP2 for you if I'm wrong in this regard. Come October PM if I'm wrong to claim your prize.

Kadayi

It's bad enough that I am forced to buy TF2 even though my 256k net connection makes CS lag like crazy, let alone CS:S. But now I have to buy HL2 and HL2: Ep1 just to resell them at a loss on the internet?

F*ck that, I'd rather play Bioshock or something. Sure, it's not as good, but at least I'm getting exactly what I paid for, nothing more, nothing less.
50$ is a big deal to me.

It's bad enough that I am forced to buy TF2 even though my 256k net connection makes CS lag like crazy, let alone CS:S. But now I have to buy HL2 and HL2: Ep1 just to resell them at a loss on the internet?

F*ck that, I'd rather play Bioshock or something. Sure, it's not as good, but at least I'm getting exactly what I paid for, nothing more, nothing less.
50$ is a big deal to me.

I'm pretty sure it isn't mandatory to play TF2 online in order to play EP2. In fact I'm pretty sure it wasn't mandatory to play CS:S to complete HL2 either.

50$ is a big deal to me.

Steam will probably have the Ep2 Portal & TF2 package. Anyway, if it doesn't, just go buy the retail Orange Box and give HL2 and Ep1 to like someone during their birthday or something.

Back