Episode One Information

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
This is rather late, and I'm really not feeling like writing an essay right now so I'll cut to the chase (thereby defying the conventions I established in the previous news post – naughty me). [br] [br] Aftermath, now renamed "Episode One" presumably in an attempt to emphasise the fact that Half Life has gone episodic, was mentioned in Friday’s Steam News. According to Valve, "you'll find out about what happened to the Citadel after the end of HL2, what happened to your nemesis Breen, and how Alyx managed to survive the explosion at the game's end". Of course, it’s also worth mentioning that Alyx will be alongside you for most of the game, fighting not as a background character but as an equal. [br] [br] There’s also the matter of a pretty little screenshot. Storm's a-comin'. Also, is that Kliener I see on that distant propaganda monitor? [br]

[br]Damnit. I seem to have adhered to the very rules I was trying to defy. Damn that news poster brainwashing. Oh, what the hell, I'll wrap it up with a lovely link to the news itself. I might as well make the most of a bad situation. here, have it. But next time I won't conform so easily!

Awesome screen. Citadel in meltdown and Kleiner aiding in the evacuation of City 17 via control of Breens PA monitors. Awesome cakes.

Nothing late about this - The Steam News was late. :X

i think the dark cloud is in the shape of a spiral like in beyond good and evil, or like the lighting storm cloud from war of the worlds.

-dodo

a quick sketch.

portal.jpg

I don't know what is more sad, that there is so much hype around a 4-6 hour chapter or that I am eating it like mama's apple pie.

I love pie.

Can you say "a portal storm overdue due to combine technology"? :eek:
C17 is doomed!

Damn that's one of the most interesting screenshots so far.

But it seems like it all takes place in the same place. City 17 all blown up with some antlions and combine soldiers. Two of the enemies I really really got tired of. How about showing something new, like maybe an interior, or a new character, or a new monster.

There's really nothing gameplay wise or content wise that draws me to this other than...... you know...... more half-life.

Gorgon said:
Citadel is still standing, look left

judging by which direction the combine wall is facing, and the fact that the monitor kleiner is on would be on the outside of that wall, that may be a new citadel. ya know, reinforcements after the original is destroyed.

ironclad said:
I don't know what is more sad, that there is so much hype around a 4-6 hour chapter or that I am eating it like mama's apple pie.

I love pie.

Idiot 101:|

Dodo said:
i think the dark cloud is in the shape of a spiral like in beyond good and evil, or like the lighting storm cloud from war of the worlds.

-dodo

a quick sketch.
Maybe the portal is due to Combine reinforcements coming to Earth to "finish the job." :eek:

nvrmor said:
judging by which direction the combine wall is facing, and the fact that the monitor kleiner is on would be on the outside of that wall, that may be a new citadel. ya know, reinforcements after the original is destroyed.
and judging by how FSAA affects everything but the citadel, that screenshot may be photoshopped :p

thats a cool screen, hope the sky is animated.

I dont know what to make of that, it could be that the explosion has torn through all the dimension's creating that vortex void thing.

Yeah, can you imagine how amazing that would look if it were spinning dynamically? Kind of like the ring of fire around Mt. Doom in Ocarina of Time, only superawesome looking.

But damn, that is sweet!

I think they're inside the wall, inbetween the wall and the citadel. Looks like a huge portal or something has opened up or an explosion at the top of the citadel, causing the storm clouds or something. The whole place looks dusty too, like the aftermath of 9/11. Looks grand :)

Pretty screen. Everytime I look at it I want to start lobbing some more shit with the gravity gun and hurl grenades. I can't wait to see this on my new monitor. Hmm... *lobs shit and tosses grenades in HL2*

From the looks of the picture, the "citadel is still standing," said Gordan. Also, Dodo said that the dark cloud could be a "portal" to the other side in which Dr. Breen was contacting the Head Boss (forgot the name) in the last part of Half-Life 2 in which Gordon Freeman (we) destroyed the communication between the two. That could of lead to a breaking in the communication and which leading to an Open Worm Hole where things can come and go as they please (maybe new aliens or new combine to kill for us). Also, remember the new characters we seen in the Citadel going to the top? I'm thinking we are going to see them in Episode One! Does anyone have the image of the tank-like alien we saw in the Citadel?

Also what is the deal with Dr. Kleiner on the projector?

P.S. just an idea... =)

nvrmor said:

The city would be decimated when the Citadel falls. There certainly won't be a new one. You can also see in the picture that it's about to explode, with the black... uhh... (words elude me)... surrounding it.

EDIT: Don't double post.

bigburpco said:
The city would be decimated when the Citadel falls. There certainly won't be a new one. You can also see in the picture that it's about to explode, with the black... uhh... (words elude me)... surrounding it.

EDIT: Don't double post.

uhh, how do you know? have you ever seen a citadel explode? for all we know it could vaporize, disintegrate, or simply fall over. how do you think the citadels got there in the first place? most likely from the original portal storms, which like someone above was kind enough to point out. what makes you think there wont be more? and the combine wall radiated out from the original citadel, this combine wall clearly is not radiating out from the visible citadel.

Suicide42 said:
There’s also the matter of a pretty little screenshot. Storm's a-comin'. Also, is that Kliener I see on that distant propaganda monitor?
Yeah, as is in the same screenshot from sulkodds post on the 22nd.

The reasoning I give to Dr.Kleiner being on the screen is that...the revolution is up 100 notches, and they need someone to lead them. So Dr.Kleiner will either be:
a) Giving them orders.
b) Updating them on combine presence.
c) Telling them what is going on with the huge explosion they just witnessed.

nvrmor said:

No, its the same Citadel. You've just severed the tunnelling entanglement system, theres not going to be a new Citadel so soon. The rebels would be crushed.

Gorgon said:
Citadel is still standing, look left

Yeah, it doesn't blow up - its in meltdown, and the idea is to escape city 17 before it does go up and take the entire city and everyone in it with it.

I dislike the dim light. It makes the whole environmental graphs and models lose LOTS of detail. I hope the environment in the true game will not be as dark as the one in screenshot.
Yet, I am looking forwards to seeing the release of Episode 1.

Samon said:
No, its the same Citadel. You've just severed the tunnelling entanglement system, theres not going to be a new Citadel so soon. The rebels would be crushed.

Yeah, it doesn't blow up - its in meltdown, and the idea is to escape city 17 before it does go up and take the entire city and everyone in it with it.

Why and how do you exactly know what happened?

bbson_john said:

nvrmor said:
uhh, how do you know? have you ever seen a citadel explode? for all we know it could vaporize, disintegrate, or simply fall over. how do you think the citadels got there in the first place? most likely from the original portal storms, which like someone above was kind enough to point out. what makes you think there wont be more? and the combine wall radiated out from the original citadel, this combine wall clearly is not radiating out from the visible citadel.

http://valve.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3143168
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2aftermath/news.html?sid=6128325

nvrmor, in the first place, have YOU seen a citadel explode?

Refer to the links.

Samon said:
Awesome screen. Citadel in meltdown and Kleiner aiding in the evacuation of City 17 via control of Breens PA monitors. Awesome cakes.

Never thought of this, but how is Kleiner gonna escape?

If you read the interview with the valve employe they say " episodic content will conclude the half life story".... :(

I did no like that very much

Think about it this way. This is Episode One, right? And after this episode, there won't actually be a City 17. Presuming the Episodes will travel in a timeline, you can bet there'll be a lot of varied experiences throughout the epsiodes. Plus, there's going to have to be a storyline - a goal. You can bet it's going to be something [ib]big[/i], like either travelling to the combine planet, returning to Black Mesa, trying to survive in the country or getting an airship and flying round blowing things up. I just hope we don't end up in another City... although one that looks strikingly similiar to London would be DAMN cool.

Suicide42 said:
Think about it this way. This is Episode One, right? And after this episode, there won't actually be a City 17. Presuming the Episodes will travel in a timeline, you can bet there'll be a lot of varied experiences throughout the epsiodes. Plus, there's going to have to be a storyline - a goal. You can bet it's going to be something [ib]big[/i], like either travelling to the combine planet, returning to Black Mesa, trying to survive in the country or getting an airship and flying round blowing things up. I just hope we don't end up in another City... although one that looks strikingly similiar to London would be DAMN cool.
And Vortigaunts will play a bigger roll \o/

Samon said:

right...and you could very well be right about Kleiner aiding in the evacuation but there is a slight chance hes doing something different. :)

let the speculation begin! :p

Suicide42 said:
returning to Black Mesa

Not that there is one left to return too :p

bbson_john said:

Because its all information released in interviews and such. Doug already mentioned about Kleiner aiding in the evacuation (and to answer someones elses question, Alyx got Kleiner to a safe spot in HL2) and about the Citadel.

Samon said:
Not that there is one left to return too :p

It was the "origin" of the disaster. As a result, the area around the test center may be completely scarred with hundreds of portals, and the land itself could be almost identical to Xen :p

Back