Ever wanted to code your own fighting moves in a sandbox beat-em-up

Reginald

Reaction score
Heavens. This game has probably occupied more of my time than any Indie game put together in the last year. It is truly stupendous.

In single player, you start off with two ragdolls facing each other. You can stiffen and loosen any of the muscles and also choose to expand or contract them. You then choose what you want each of these muscles to do for the next ten frames of motion. You play out these ten frames. Then, you choose again. And so on until 500 frames have been used up. The object of the game is to beat your oponent in the cleverest, most stylish, most gruesome way possible.

Chances are, you can perform pretty much any martial arts move possible and even some that wouldn't be possible, with this simple to learn yet hard to master interface (I sound like a salesman :()

But seriously, this game lets you pull off people's heads and arms and kick their legs off.

One of my early test runs saw me grab hold of the guy I was facing, lift him up by the "lapels," jump in the air, get on top of him in mid air and place my bent knee carfully above his face for the landing. I lost a knee. He lost a head. Looks like I came off better.

The game is called Toribash and whilst I can just post screenshots, a video does this game more justice.

AVI: http://toribash.com/tbpromo2.avi
MOV: http://toribash.com/tbpromo2.mov

I can't get over this game. It's really amazing. And the Demo is free. Yes. FREE.

Here is the website, I hope this game alleviates boredom for all of you as much as it has for me.
http://www.toribash.com/

P.S.
Here is a nice code for kicking a body in half.

Engage Distance 100
Hold All with "C"
Contract Left Hip
Contract Left Knee
Extend Right Ankle
Advance forward 40 frames (Space x4 as default)
Extend Left Knee
Advance forward 20 frames (Space x2)

Watch the body fly :E

Sounds fun. Can we do Hadokens as well?

Holy crap. That looks BRUTAL :eek:

The premise sounds awesome though... full move customisation ftw! :D

Just tore a guy's head off with my bare hands. Then I did a mega backflip whilst holding onto it. Then I let go of it in midair and it bounced away. I love this game.

How hard is it to actually do the coding, if you have zero coding experience?

Oh, it's not actually a fighting game perse... you choreograph a fight?

Spiffy, sounds like those games where you throw a ragdoll down stairs and stuff.

Gah, how the **** do you do anything?

I click on a joint and then what?... it's as though none of the buttons on my mouse or keyboard do jack shit. D:

Ah, Z - C do things... I've managed to throw a kick! :D
This would definitely be a GREAT time killer.
If I had more time to tinker with it, I would.

Seems that you found a hidden gem, good sir.

been playing it for a couple weeks now, little hard for me at first, but got it soon after.

^Well, then you just have to pick yourself up and try again. :D I managed to bitch slap the other ragdoll's head off.

All my person ever does is fall on the other guy, and it looks like they're having a Brokeback Kung-Fu-****ing-Mountian moment. D:

Keep all your joints rigid/still and slowly fool around and see what will happen to plan out.

On multiplayer it gets brutal sometimes

I do, but they don't move fast enough, is there a way I can change the speed at which the joints move?

No, but move your biceps and chest too.

You can move uber fast if you do the right combinations of extending and contracting different parts of the torso

Wasn't this posted here a while ago? Anyway, even though its a bit old, its quite a fun game, especially in MP. I've done some really brutal stuff in single player; splitting people in half, ripping off arms, ripping heads off and beating them with it, ripping people's legs off so the top half of their body falls to the ground, etc. But my proudest moment was ripping someones arm off and throwing it to the ground in MP, resulting in a DQ in only a few seconds.

I've got some great replays, maybe we should start posting them.

Danimal, I don't see how they can't move fast enough..they often move faster than I want.

Yeah I figured out how to use the mouse wheel lol. Becuase I only knew how to lock and loose limbs, I never knew you could extend or contract lol.

Beeen playing this for a few months or so, got informed about it via HOTUs forum, which btw is a great forum for indie games like these.. It's great fun in multiplayer, AAAND it's made by Swede(s) :D

Just started playing a couple hours ago. Its great fun...I think Im addicted. o.o

The word 'sandbox' drew me to the thread. D:
Is there a way to make the fighters farther away from each other?

This is great! Looks like a brilliant time waster!

Well, you can't change engage distance unless you buy the game. Have you bought the game Reginald? ;)

Looks fun, but sometimes I fell so... limited. Once I grabbed a guy by his neck, jumped in the air and wanted to deliver a mighty punch from the top, but there was no way to bend the arms properly. They were just going either up or down.

I've checked some of the replays from there - mindblowing what some people can do!

There's one thing i don't quite get though - why the hell does the game sometimes slow down to 20ish fps when there's a fight? It's not that the game is hardware demanding is it?

If you guys warez innovative indie-games like this, you're just helping people REMOVE the creative minds from the industry.:)

I warez nothing. I just don't have any legitimate means of payment on me.

I might buy this, if I ever figure out how to do a decent move in the demo!

I can change all of those apart from Dojo size which doesn't even appear as an option. And Music is a separate option in the menu.

Odd. I got my version from PCGamer UK.

I can change all of those apart from Dojo size which doesn't even appear as an option. And Music is a separate option in the menu.

Odd. I got my version from PCGamer UK.

Is your version 2.00?

edit: It's probably 1.97, I've just downloaded that and I can set the distance and even save my replay's! ^^

Probably. PCG are usually about 2 weeks behind all releases for obvious reasons.

Haha, landings are great fun. I'm going to have fun with those until I can remember a way to effectively reproduce a good attack position.

Oh, and one time, I managed to start off okay, grabbing the guy's left arm with my right, getting my left arm under his, and turning my back to him for a throw. So I turn my body, and my left arm rips off completely. I try valiantly to pull the blue guy over me at least somewhat, but all I do is start flipping myself over his arm. I counter that flip, spin to face him (while still in midair, attached to his arm) and try to kick him in the stomach. I miss, and my legs hook around his arm, and I can't get them off. So I get my arm out of the way... without detaching... and rip THAT arm off at the shoulder. So I decide that now that I've lost both my arms due to... me... the best plan of attack is to wiggle. So I do that for 20 frames, but end up twisting myself more around his arm, and my left leg breaks at the knee. I fall off, trying to kick him in the face as I fall, but that only propels me into the ground harder, where my head breaks off.

I love this.

My fights always end with the two guys curled up together in a ball.

Looks kinda ghey.

Back