Everybody talkin' 'bout breaking the streetdate; outcome?

Frutkola

Reaction score
I hear a lot of rumour, that if a store break the streetdate, then the steam-users will be able to play HL2. Can someone confirm that Valve actually have said that? :S

It's been discussed here very often, and I saw the official statement somewhere, but alas, I do not have the link. :(

Anyone find it?

Frutkola said:
I hear a lot of rumour, that if a store break the streetdate, then the steam-users will be able to play HL2. Can someone confirm that Valve actually have said that? :S

I can't confirm it, altough it sounds really stupid (but still nice to the Steampeople (me included)). The store that breaks the streetdate should be fined for a cupple of million dollars. Altough I like to get HL2 before the 16th it's still bad if ONE store breaks the date and steals all the sales before the 16th.

i cant find the link atm but..

No store will sell HL2 b4, anyway you need to acvtivate on though steam anyway so im sure if some 1 did buy it from a store Valve would know.

+ they would probly get a hefty fine and a slap on the wrist , but this will not happen

i think it was a rumor started by Shacknews. on the HL2 gold day they printed
Shacknews said:
Steam users: Half-Life 2 will be unlocked on Steam on November 16th as well. Unless of course any retailer breaks the street date and puts it out on shelves sooner, then Steam will unlock Half-Life 2 sooner.
I've never seen it confirmed anywhere. Someone should ask Valve, but they haven't been talking about exact dates/times for HL2 yet. They will soon, I'm sure.

And i think your a bit OTT when you say couple million dollars lol :D

Think about them lil Game stores , Vision Games for example in the UK.

2grand fine for breaching agreements i think would be sufficient (sp?)

They key phrase "retailer breaks the street date and puts them on the shelves"...in other words, dude working there, and the ONE copy he got won't do it....they want numerous people in the same city trying to activate, you would think.

It was not given in an "official" quote either...that was the writer's add-on, i believe.

Makes sense tho, think about it, valve are thinking, why are venidi getting money and not us, lets realse HL2!!!

Splinter16 said:
Makes sense tho, think about it, valve are thinking, why are venidi getting money and not us, lets realse HL2!!!

Vivendi do not get paid per unit that is sold.

Vivendi are paid to create a set ammount untill a date. Whether u buy off steam or not, if wnt make hardly any difference to Vivendi, they will get their money.

Only way Vivendi wouldnt get money is if, every single person buys off steam , then there wouldd be no reason for Vivendi in the first place

Try seaching it next time before making a thread, I think this has been discussed a good many times. I believe that I heard exactly what you stated.

its coming out the 16th they arent gonna change the date. the world would go crazy

The store clerk at the store where I will be getting the game said to me they will be getting HL2 on the 15th and it will be sold at the very moment it arrives. I personally would mind them breaking the streetdate. :naughty: not at all.

Everything gets out before street date. I work at a video game/movie rental store, and I know we put stuff out once we get it. Pre-orders get called the day we get the game in.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Even big companies like EB will break street date (some of the stores anyway).

dont all retail customers need to avtivate via steam anyway, what if steam wont accept activations untill the 16th

VALVe isnt going to unlock HL2 just because some retailer breaks the release agreement. That would just give Vivendi more power in the court trials.

Anybody who buys a copy of HL2 before streetdate expecting to be the first to play it is going to be sorely dissapointed.

Everybody gets HL2 at the same time.

f|uke said:
VALVe isnt going to unlock HL2 just because some retailer breaks the release agreement. That would just give Vivendi more power in the court trials.

Anybody who buys a copy of HL2 before streetdate expecting to be the first to play it is going to be sorely dissapointed.

Good post!

Spiffae said:
i think it was a rumor started by Shacknews. on the HL2 gold day they printedI've never seen it confirmed anywhere. Someone should ask Valve, but they haven't been talking about exact dates/times for HL2 yet. They will soon, I'm sure.

I think this explains it; they didn't think that retail buyers would have to unlock the files, that's why VALVe would've had to unlock the game early, since retail buyers would have been able to buy it before those who bought through Steam.

f|uke said:

If the rumour is true then Valve and Vivendis contract would have an agreement stating that as soon as any Hl2 retail copy was sold the steam versions could be.

People think that vivendi would hate it that steam got to sell before retail... what they forget is that Valve hate it just as much if the retail releases early and the customers move from steam to retail.

Works both ways, so basicly both sides will be watching eachother like hawks, as soon as either side releases early both versions will "officialy" get released,

ie..

Game UK store sells a couple copies on the 10th, those guys try to register with steam to play the game and Valve are instantly notified.

Steam goes live and Vivendi send the word to all retailers that they can release the game.

I dont see why retailers should have to sit with HL2 in stock for a few days without being allowed to sell it. Why the aditional wait? What purpose does it serve?

Valve figured out how to do online activations of the game in order to play it. One would think, that even if someone does get a hardcopy of the game ahead of time, that the validation will be DENIED until it is 11/16. I doubt you will be able to ACTIVATE THE GAME EARLY.

If anyone manages to bypass the validation however, then they can play all they'd like. If that will happen, we should see an explosion of posts and screenshots from the people who got by it sometime next week. If not, the week ends, and 3 days later we're all playing it anyway.

poksmote said:
Valve figured out how to do online activations of the game in order to play it. One would think, that even if someone does get a hardcopy of the game ahead of time, that the validation will be DENIED until it is 11/16. I doubt you will be able to ACTIVATE THE GAME EARLY.

If anyone manages to bypass the validation however, then they can play all they'd like. If that will happen, we should see an explosion of posts and screenshots from the people who got by it sometime next week. If not, the week ends, and 3 days later we're all playing it anyway.

But if validation is denied there is gonna be a lot of people complaining that there copy does not work. I dont see the sense in keeping the game locked if the store date gets broken.

Im sure if one place breaks the date many others will follow suit. It'll turn into a nightmare.

jaguar_987 said:
But if validation is denied there is gonna be a lot of people complaining that there copy does not work. I dont see the sense in keeping the game locked if the store date gets broken.

Im sure if one place breaks the date many others will follow suit. It'll turn into a nightmare.

It's a prevenative measure, to make sure no one breaks the date. Who would complain about a game not working when they (should) know that the game hasnt legitimatly been released yet? That way they keep all the secrets about the game secret right up to the final second. Besides, if they do complain valve will just tell them to wait like the rest of us.

It wouldn't be any different than all the steam package buyers with a preload sitting on their hard disk unable to play.

poksmote said:
It's a prevenative measure, to make sure no one breaks the date. Who would complain about a game not working when they (should) know that the game hasnt legitimatly been released yet? That way they keep all the secrets about the game secret right up to the final second. Besides, if they do complain valve will just tell them to wait like the rest of us.

It wouldn't be any different than all the steam package buyers with a preload sitting on their hard disk unable to play.

So you're telling me that a customer would have to pay for a retailers mistake?

If I saw Half-Life 2 in the store tomorrow and didn't know the official release date, im not gonna stand there and think "I wonder if this should be out yet or not". I would simply buy it and bring it home, only to find it does not work.

I really hope the street date gets broken and has to be released early, that way they may force the retail copies out too so the steam orders don't get to crazy.

jaguar_987 said:
So you're telling me that a customer would have to pay for a retailers mistake?

If I saw Half-Life 2 in the store tomorrow and didn't know the official release date, im not gonna stand there and think "I wonder if this should be out yet or not". I would simply buy it and bring it home, only to find it does not work.

Just like ATI video card owners, that thought the game was in the box a year ago...i wouldn't put it past them....

poksmote said:

I'm pretty sure the retail version is encrypted like the Steam version.
So bypassing the validation is useless.

Here's what Steve Gibson from Shacknews has to say about the quote :

Steve Gibson wrote:
Source was my talking directly to Valve

-Steve Gibson

----- Original Message -----

Subject: Your comment on retail stores and selling early.

You stated the other day that if some retail stores broke HL2 early that Steam would then unlock and thus making HL2 playable. Now my question is, what is your news source. Ive tried looking on the site but you havent stated any. Is this just your quess as to what will happen or did you have concrete evidence???

And since shacknews appearantly has a close relationship with Valve, makes this all the more intresting. I think it's safe to say that it is in fact, the truth.

We had a big thread on this a while ago... It would be awesome if it proved to be true. (you know what I mean) :E

I'm still waiting for an answer from Valve, but their silence is also intresting. They're usually fast to answer questions, but I guess they could be busy too. Here's to hoping. :)

I'm waiting for the answer. I can't wait for HL2!!!!11!!1! 13 days!

I've heard that some stores will be selling HL2 has of Friday. I've also heard some people can already play.

cadaveca said:
Just like ATI video card owners, that thought the game was in the box a year ago...i wouldn't put it past them....

Not really the same thing, you were buying the video card for the video card, Half-Life 2 was a "free" extra that came with it. Not exactly something you can complain about lol. Besides im sure it stated on it somewhere that it was only available once it's actually released.
Just like the preloads, everyone knows that once you download them you still can't play them. Whereas if you buy Hl2 from a retailer early i dont think their going to tell you that you still can't play it.

KurtCobain said:
Vivendi do not get paid per unit that is sold.

Vivendi are paid to create a set ammount untill a date. Whether u buy off steam or not, if wnt make hardly any difference to Vivendi, they will get their money.

Only way Vivendi wouldnt get money is if, every single person buys off steam , then there wouldd be no reason for Vivendi in the first place

Link? Who are these people that "pay Vivendi to create a set amount until a date"? Vlave? lol. I dont see why Vivendi would break the conventional retail sales system, no matter what thier contract with Valve. Vivendi gets paid per retail unit as its sold to the wholesaler (Or directly to the retailer in some cases), so does Valve. The wholesaler marks it up and sells it too the retailer, who marks it up and sells it to you.

Back