Everyone heads up / watch out

K

Krayzie005

Once HL2 is out or if it gets pirated there will be a crack out even those who bought the game might use this. WARNING THOUGH i gurant you that even if it a working crack it will have an UNDETECTABLE steam account stealer. Since the fact is they only need your steam password and they can change your email, secert question,password all of it without even logging on ur email.. Quite sad if you ask me they should have an email sent to verify the email change, but every1 needs to watch out since im sure ppl will make custom undetectable working cracks that steal steam accounts =\

Krayzie005 said:
Once HL2 is out or if it gets pirated there will be a crack out even those who bought the game might use this. WARNING THOUGH i gurant you that even if it a working crack it will have an UNDETECTABLE steam account stealer. Since the fact is they only need your steam password and they can change your email, secert question,password all of it without even logging on ur email.. Quite sad if you ask me they should have an email sent to verify the email change, but every1 needs to watch out since im sure ppl will make custom undetectable working cracks that steal steam accounts =\

(Couldn't really read that, but I think I got the idea.)

Its already happened. A lot of the cracks out there have trojans on them.

Just. Don't. Download. Games. Before. They. Come. Out.

As long as you bought the game legit and have internet access, why would you care about any cracks? You authenticate once, and then you're never bothered with it again.

No, cracks will be for warez kiddies only. And they deserve whatever misery they get. Half-Life 2 is truly a game that deserves to be bought and supported.

I only download no-cd files for games because im too lazy to keep searhing for cds. Though I don't think you will need a cd to play Hl2 because its on steam.

As a side note does anyone know how many posts you will need to get out of head-crabism?

Langues said:
I only download no-cd files for games because im too lazy to keep searhing for cds. Though I don't think you will need a cd to play Hl2 because its on steam.
Right. Theres no point to using a crack for HL2 if you bought it; you wont need the disc anyways.

So no worries!

redrain85 said:
As long as you bought the game legit and have internet access, why would you care about any cracks? You authenticate once, and then you're never bothered with it again.

No, cracks will be for warez kiddies only. And they deserve whatever misery they get. Half-Life 2 is truly a game that deserves to be bought and supported.

Yes, because all the warez kiddies out there just happen to be everyone who doesn't have home access to the internet.

Get a clue.

f|uke said:
Right. Theres no point to using a crack for HL2 if you bought it; you wont need the disc anyways.

So no worries!

yeah, I fail to see the usefullness of a "no-cd crack" when you don't need the cd in the first place. hell I bought it from steam, I don't even have a cd.

thund said:
Yes, because all the warez kiddies out there just happen to be everyone who doesn't have home access to the internet.

Get a clue.
And realistically, how many people who have a computer don't at least have dial-up access these days? The number will be very low, I suspect.

If so, then in their case the answer is simple . . . don't buy the game. Yes it's not really fair to punish those few, but shit happens.

And your statement is in fact, 100% correct . . . even though I know you were being totally sarcastic. It will be those kiddies that don't have internet access, that will warez the game. Aside from those too cheap to buy it.

I'd keep a sharp eye out for cracks, give Valve the heads up ASAP. If there's ever a pirated-free game, I want it to be this one. Remember Doom 3? That was a complete disgrace -- whether you liked the game or not, ID-Software deserved to be payed for every copy; instead they lost literally millions in revinue because of the bittorrent trade. In ONE WEEKEND, it's estimated that 50 000 copies of Doom 3 were pirated over bittorrent alone -- that's about 2.5 million (US) in lost sales.

Guess what? It'll happen to Half Life 2 too, unless Valve is extremely careful. There are some very good hackers/crackers (whatever you want to call them) out there, and almost every major pc game has been pirated to date, and that trend isn't about to change.

One source on the Doom 3 piracy scandal.

DigitalAssassin said:
In ONE WEEKEND, it's estimated that 50 000 copies of Doom 3 were pirated over bittorrent alone -- that's about 2.5 million (US) in lost sales.
Companies always like to claim that the $$ lost is equal to every copy pirated.

A lot of these people would never have bought Doom 3. I certainly wouldn't have (not that I got it off bittorrent!). The game wasn't worth $50 IMO. Maybe $30. The point is, however, that while that may have cost iD some sales, it was not anywhere near 2.5 million (not to mention that most of that money goes to the publisher and retailers anyways).

No game has ever gone unpirated, unless it requires unique hardware, which would not be cost effective. Game companies are used to piracy, and it is never going away. Minimizing it, however, is a good thing.

Krayzie005 said:

uhh... and what is the basis for this claim?

redrain85 said:

Unless you format and have to reinstall. Lots of people will be wanting the crack.

Mr-Fusion said:
Unless you format and have to reinstall. Lots of people will be wanting the crack.
Again, if you bought it legit and have internet access why would you want a crack? You just sign into Steam again when you reinstall HL2, and enter your account info.

If I understand correctly, Valve keeps records on your account in a database. So you wouldn't even have to go through the authentication process again. You'd just need your Steam account username and password.

If you happen to forget your username and password . . . yeah, then you're screwed. :LOL:

f|uke said:

A lot of these people would never have bought Doom 3. I certainly wouldn't have (not that I got it off bittorrent!). The game wasn't worth $50 IMO. Maybe $30. The point is, however, that while that may have cost iD some sales, it was not anywhere near 2.5 million (not to mention that most of that money goes to the publisher and retailers anyways).

No game has ever gone unpirated, unless it requires unique hardware, which would not be cost effective. Game companies are used to piracy, and it is never going away. Minimizing it, however, is a good thing.

Agreed

redrain85 said:
Again, if you bought it legit and have internet access why would you want a crack? You just sign into Steam again when you reinstall HL2, and enter your account info.
It's for people in the following situations, all who have legitamately purchased
1) Went to a friends house to get it authorized, had to format a month later, can't be ****ed lugging the computer over again and just wants to play single player.
2) Temporarily signed up with a internet plan for the sole purpose of authorizing Half-Life 2, had to format and reinstall , couldn't be ****ed signing up for the net again
3) Just want the ability to play offline whenever you want after formats.

I'm assuming every time you want to re-install after a format you need to authorize your account, so unless there's a way to fully back up the working offline version then reinstall that straight away there are people who will want a crack.

f|uke said:

A lot of these people would never have bought Doom 3.

That's not the issue: If you don't buy the game, you don't play it.

If 1 in 5 people would have purchased the game, they still lost half a million dollars in one weekend. 1 in 10? 250 000. And this figure doesn't scratch the surface: This is the number stealing Doom 3 the weekend before it was released! 20 000 people were said to be downloading at all times. It continued on through the weekend and on after the release, and it's still going on today. Probably several hundred thousand copies downloaded.

Can you imagine the attention that would get if that many copies were stolen from stores? The 'real' copies are mass produced for very little cost, so don't tell me they'd lose more money that way. Piracy is a crime, and one I'd like to see punished.

DigitalAssassin said:
That's not the issue: If you don't buy the game, you don't play it.
I think what you mean here is that if someone doesnt buy the game, you dont think they should play it.

Can you imagine the attention that would get if that many copies were stolen from stores? The 'real' copies are mass produced for very little cost, so don't tell me they'd lose more money that way.
Shipping and handling costs, retail overhead costs,. not to mention less actual merchandice for sale. Sure theres a difference.

Piracy is a crime, and one I'd like to see punished.
I dont know one person who has not illegally copied something at some point in their lives.

As I've said before, I dont think piracy is bad as long as you spend a fair and reasonable amount on said industry. You cannot spend more then you have, so if you could not buy it anyways, nobody is getting hurt by copying it. The problem is with people who pirate what they could afford to buy.

Mr-Fusion said:
I'm assuming every time you want to re-install after a format you need to authorize your account, so unless there's a way to fully back up the working offline version then reinstall that straight away there are people who will want a crack.
Okay, you've got a point there. Yeah, if someone just gets temporary internet access in order to authenticate and then has to re-format . . . (s)he will be screwed.

I feel sorry for the few that don't have easy internet access at home. But again, as I just said . . . they must be few.

As annoying as the situation is for those people, how about looking at all this from a different angle. Imagine Valve had decided to go with some nasty copy protection like Starforce instead.

Which would you prefer? Steam authentication over the internet, or something as vile as Starforce? Even the latest Safedisc is getting almost as bad, not allowing you to have programs like Alcohol or Daemon Tools installed. This way, those who buy it legit won't have to put up with that crap.

I think Valve chose the lesser of two evils, and I'm glad they did.

Well, I will admit that I had a pirated copy of doom3 a day before it hit retail. However, I knew that I was going to pick up a copy, and that is just what I did. Doesn't make what I did right, but if I was able to play hl2 right now, I probably would. Only thing that would prevent me would be the whole getting banned from steam or trojan paranoia.

f|uke said:
I think what you mean here is that if someone doesnt buy the game, you dont think they should play it.

Shipping and handling costs, retail overhead costs,. not to mention less actual merchandice for sale. Sure theres a difference.

I dont know one person who has not illegally copied something at some point in their lives.

As I've said before, I dont think piracy is bad as long as you spend a fair and reasonable amount on said industry. You cannot spend more then you have, so if you could not buy it anyways, nobody is getting hurt by copying it. The problem is with people who pirate what they could afford to buy.

(1) Pirates are not known for spending a 'fair and reasonable ammount on said industry'. Most of them have jobs, and instead of making a choice to save up for a game just download it. If the only way to aquire a game was to buy it, there would be heaps more sales.

(2) It's against the law, and just because you think a law is stupid doesn't mean you're allowed to break it.

(3) You say you don't know anyone who hasn't pirated something at some point. So everyone's doing it... and that makes it right?

(4) Piracy does the same thing that real stealing does, indirectly. The people who download the game instead of purchasing don't get a copy from a store, so copies get sent back to producers, and then... who knows what is done with them? It's the same loss of revinue.

I agree this is the lesser of two evils and was a necessary step in trying to stop piracy. It may turn off some people who don't have net access, but we have no idea what kind of percentage of buyers that will be.

On the other hand if this anti-piracy measure can covince about 30% of potential piraters that maybe buying it is a better option....that's a bit more money in the bank.

Either way you cannot say with 100% surety that everyone who pirates games were never going to buy them in the first place, it's not lost money, it's money that the developer/publisher/retailer was never going to see in the first place..etc

I'm almost certain there'd be a fair percentage of "swing-piraters". People who really want the game, hate capitalism, hate giving money to anyone...but if giving their money is the best option they may do it.

1) Actually, most pirates live in coutries where economies cannot viably support $50 games. Then a lot are college students and kids without proper funds. Yes, many people abuse the ability. I do think thats a shame.

2) I dont think its stupid. I agree with the reasons for the law. I do, however, break it at my own discression.

3) No, but it makes prosecution very difficult.

4) I have pirated tens of thousands of games (including roms). How many of those games would I have actually bought? Very few! And piracy still has not prevented me from buying a number of games this year, even though I could easily download them (and sometimes already did).

i warezed a lot when i was still in high school and didnt have a job. now i just borrow from friends, or if a game is really good i'll buy it.
last game i bought was doom3 which i liked, but didnt think it lived up to doom2.
i spend more money on my gamecube because its a pain to pirate gamecube games. i only have 4 gamecube games but they are all damn good and worth the money.

if that happens to people who steal the game, the're getting what's coming to them.

f|uke said:
...Yes, many people abuse the ability. I do think thats a shame...

...I dont think its stupid. I do, however, break it at will...

...I have pirated tens of thousands of games... How many of those games would I have actually bought? Very few!

You think it's a shame that people take advantage of the (so called) 'ability to pirate software', and yet you readily admit to doing so yourself? And you feel that because you purchase a percentage of your games, the rest are justified?

This imbalances capitalism. There is infinite supply, which drastically reduces demand for products on the market. People download what's free, and once it's on your computer, you have no desire to purchase it. Have you downloaded software, then decided that you wouldn't bother buying it because it wasn't worth your money? You were GOING to buy it, but your EXPERIENCE with the illegal copy made you change your decision.

Microsoft estimates 70% of software installations are for pirated software (source ). No illegal downloads are justifiable, in my eyes, or in the eyes of the law.

First of all, there is no such thing as a "undetectable" password stealer, a simple firewall will instantly tell you if there is ANY network traffic.

Second, I love it when people try to act as if they never pirated anything in their life, get off your high horses, like someone said, a lot of people don't have $50-65 to spend on something like a game, if it wasn't for pirated games they would never get into it at all.

I guess RIAA and whatever all the organizations are called have succeeded since so many people apparently are anti-piracy, the only problem is that it's increasing by the day so what people say on a forum and what they actually do are completely different things.

With that said, sure Valve deservs the money, a lot less today than they did Sept 2003 and before all the lies an coverups but anyway :)

DigitalAssassin said:
You think it's a shame that people take advantage of the (so called) 'ability to pirate software', and yet you readily admit to doing so yourself? And you feel that because you purchase a percentage of your games, the rest are justified?
Pretty much, yep.
Have you downloaded software, then decided that you wouldn't bother buying it because it wasn't worth your money? You were GOING to buy it, but your EXPERIENCE with the illegal copy made you change your decision.
Yes, and yes. Thank god I didn't get ripped off by flashy marketing. I do think we should support companies that make quality games. But do you really think we should support companies that make shitty games?
Microsoft estimates 70% of software installations are for pirated software (source ). No illegal downloads are justifiable, in my eyes, or in the eyes of the law.
Once again, that is because pirates get a lot more then they would otherwise, and because a lot of people are guilty of this. Still not all pirates are the same. Some never buy anything. I am not one of those. I'm sorry that I do something that you deem unjustifiable. I suppose you have less respect for me now. Understand that I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed of it either. As I said, I spend as much money as I can reasonably afford (which will be a lot more once I get a proper job), so theres just no way I would be buying any more software then I already do.
pblse said:
With that said, sure Valve deservs the money, a lot less today than they did Sept 2003 and before all the lies an coverups but anyway :)
No less. Thats one more year of salaries and effort into the masterpiece of HL2. If any company deserves support, its VALVe in spades.

I only buy games that are that good, I feel I should pay.
All other games I have pirated, either by download or borrowing a copy off of a friend.
As for Half-Life 2, if this internet activation is the only way to get the game working, I won't be buying it.

Orcone101 said:
As for Half-Life 2, if this internet activation is the only way to get the game working, I won't be buying it.
That is one weak excuse.

DigitalAssassin said:
This imbalances capitalism. There is infinite supply, which drastically reduces demand for products on the market. People download what's free, and once it's on your computer, you have no desire to purchase it.

Except for one thing, the "business" has forgotten that people will only pay what they think is fair, and software prices, dvd prices, music cd prices are WAY above what people think is reasonable.

This is the basis for piracy, why is it that all of the sudden Apple can make millions from downlodable music when the music industry for years have refused to sell individual songs over the net ?

Sure, some people will always chose to pirate, but I think most would buy things if they thought the price was fair.

f|uke said:

Very Well Said.

Piracy I feel has its positives.
If piracy was completely eliminated, gaming companies would be running a monopoly and be charging upwards from the $100 a game they have here in Australia. I barely have any money, and as said before, why buy when you can get it for free? These are my views only.
Ohh and fluke, internet activation would be a pain for me, my computers need formatting nearly monthly and just to prove that I bought a game time after time would really get to me. But thats just my view.

DigitalAssassin said:

This imbalances capitalism. There is infinite supply, which drastically reduces demand for products on the market. People download what's free, and once it's on your computer, you have no desire to purchase it. Have you downloaded software, then decided that you wouldn't bother buying it because it wasn't worth your money? You were GOING to buy it, but your EXPERIENCE with the illegal copy made you change your decision.

1.Take your head
2. Pull out of ass
"You were GOING to buy it, but your EXPERIENCE with the illegal copy made you change your decision" - OFCOURSE i wouldnt buy it numbnuts, im pretty sure if u knew something was crap u wouldnt buy it either!
when you download a game, there are a few things to consider - first, its not physical property, its not like stealing a game from a store- the store paid money and it physically loses 1 copy of the game. When you download you arent TECHNICALLY stealing anything, since whoever you "stole" it from hasnt actually lost any property, have they?
And the other guy has a point, MOST pirates are from economies that simply cant have a PC game priced the same as a decade supply of food, so if they play the games - the company isnt losing any revenue at all, because they wouldnt have made money from these people either way.

and about capitalism being imbalanced - about time! if we were communists the government would supply us with free games, and since they dont have to pay anyone millions, they could make them as good as they wont and not worry about deadlines

Orcone101 said:
Piracy I feel has its positives.
If piracy was completely eliminated, gaming companies would be running a monopoly and be charging upwards from the $100 a game they have here in Australia.

Not true -- supply and demand is still effect. 7-10 years ago there was virtually no pirating at all, and games costed a reasonable amount. They still have to compete with other companies for the market, which drives prices down. Stealing decreases revinue, which affects prices less than market competition does.

I have no pirated material (music, software, other) on my computer. Have I pirated in the past? Yes, and I used to hold the same argument as Fluke. I've matured since then -- I guess I have more respect for the law now, and for the companies who make their living in the entertainment industry.

Anyway, cheers, you put up a good argument (Fluke). :cheers:

:cheers: Cheers DA.

I know that the more money that goes into the system, the better games will become. So buying games is important (not to mention devs are owed retribution for a fun experience) and sometimes I do let others pick up the slack here with an 'averaged out' mentality. I do intend to buy a lot more once I'm making a decent living.

One note,. options like Steam make our dollars go even farther (as the dev gets most/all of it), which makes me feel far more satisfied with the purchase.

bed time for f|uke

Personal attacks aside:

fantasiser said:
"You were GOING to buy it, but your EXPERIENCE with the illegal copy made you change your decision" - OFCOURSE i wouldnt buy it numbnuts, im pretty sure if u knew something was crap u wouldnt buy it either!

I was pointing out that people use piracy as an excuse not to buy software. Generally people are dissapointed with the real thing once they have it. They've left that one copy sitting on a shelf that will never be purchased.

fantasiser said:
when you download a game, there are a few things to consider - first, its not physical property, its not like stealing a game from a store- the store paid money and it physically loses 1 copy of the game. When you download you arent TECHNICALLY stealing anything, since whoever you "stole" it from hasnt actually lost any property, have they?

Every copy that isn't purchased because of piracy is lost revinue, it is simply the victim that changes. If it's physically stollen, the price is charged to the store. If it's stolen indirectly, it's charged to the developer.

fantasiser said:
And the other guy has a point, MOST pirates are from economies that simply cant have a PC game priced the same as a decade supply of food, so if they play the games - the company isnt losing any revenue at all, because they wouldnt have made money from these people either way.

How then do these people afford the hardware the game is played on? No hardware, no game. The cost of the computer is magnatudes greater than the cost of the game. If you can afford one, you can afford the other (or have the ability to set money aside for the other, so you can purchase it in the future).

fantasiser said:
and about capitalism being imbalanced - about time! if we were communists the government would supply us with free games, and since they dont have to pay anyone millions, they could make them as good as they wont and not worry about deadlines

Huh? Sorry, you lost me here.

Back