Excellent Tactic by Valve

Dr. Freeman said:
its still pathetic that us fans are forced to choose one or the other :frown:
I dunno. Seems like the only difference is that there are more options now. How can that be bad?

Or is it "kid-in-a-candy-shop" syndrome?

fluX said:
If the court decision indicates that the usage of STEAM for HL2 distribution is not allowed (for whatever reason), both the buyers and Valve are somewhat deep in sh... So, yes it's a nice move, but maybe somewhat risky for the customer.
I'm thinking Valve wouldn't be pursuing this course of aciton if they weren't 100% confident they're going to win the case or at least reach an out-of-court settlement in their favor. Just imagine the nightmare if they had to refund all that money or, even worse, were sued by some consumer advocacy group.

Also notice how the Steam Gold edition has much more extra crap than the dvd? More sales for steam!

The minute they ever try and sue gabe(if they ever try), i will persuade every HL2 fan to sue valve(In America you can sue companies for nothing really.. :) ).
Just get vivendi into so many court cases they will be to busy to do anything. :).
Vivendi should die! But you know what vivendi should relize. Is that the more vivendi halts then yes some hl2 fans will get mad and might not buy the game or something.. but those who are true and stay could mostly all just buy off of steam then giving vivendi crap for money and since valve gets more out of steam than retail they get the same a mount of money thus leaving HL2 fans happy and vivendi gets to pay for there crimes. With NO MONEY!

The minute they ever try and sue gabe(if they ever try), i will persuade every HL2 fan to sue valve(In America you can sue companies for nothing really.. ).

I assume you mean sue VIVENDI since Gabe OWNS a large portion of Valve.

will bots be supported in this release? that would be cool. always wanted to learn and play cs but get raped online from lack of experience.

Peabody McFee said:
If you've read the news you will see that Valve are releasing CS:S next week; this means two things: 1) CS:S and possibly HL2 has gone Gold 2) Valve are forcing VU's hand.

To get CS:S next week you have to pay the full cost of the HL2 package. This means that you are forced to purchase over Steam -- therefore Valve get the full payment to themselves. The longer VU hold back HL2 the more people will purchase over Steam, this means that VU lose money the longer they hold onto HL2.

It's a brilliant move by Valve, it means that it's now in VU's interest to release HL2 ASAP!

I noticed that myself and I couldn't help but smirk at the genius of it. I'd say VU just got owned. Furthermore you'll see they're offering far more with the Gold Steam edition than they are with the CE. All the people who wanted the CE might just think twice and go for Gold instead. Hell I'm considering it.

Hats off to you Valve. ;)

Why do people think that vu are holding hl2 back?

there is just a clause in their contract with valve that they have the right too. They didnt actually do anything yet so stop making sob stories about valve and how they are fighting back.

Cheta said:
Why do people think that vu are holding hl2 back?

there is just a clause in their contract with valve that they have the right too. They didnt actually do anything yet so stop making sob stories about valve and how they are fighting back.

They're in the middle of a legal battle. Regardless of whether VU are holding HL2 back, they're trying to hurt Valve. Valve are biting back.

It seems to me that VU is holding it back. RC was sent over two weeks ago and there has yet to be any word on the matter.

Anyone who's not sure whether to buy through steam or retail... I say buy through steam! Would you rather fatten the pockets of a greedy publisher like VU (who are trying very hard to force Valve into handing over the rights to HL2, even though it was entirely funded and developed by Valve..), or support the developers, who will go on to make more great games for us to play? Besides, once you're actually playing HL2, you won't care in the slightest that you don't have a box. As someone else suggested, you can wait until it's cheap and buy a box later anyway.

rkef said:
I dunno. Seems like the only difference is that there are more options now. How can that be bad?

Or is it "kid-in-a-candy-shop" syndrome?

That's precisely what it is.

Technically (or in a sense) CSS is a mod.... so some might say its free because it comes with hl2, therefore you get it eventually either way, and its just like if someone released their mod for a game before the game was out, sorta silly but if it could run, ie through steam thats cool. I mean, i could buy HL or CS, the only difference is that buying HL i get CS for free, i still pay, but i get more for my money, which is really the same thing. The only question is the one about people buying HL2 just so that they get CSs earlier, but hell who really cares.

I think they'll get around any whining by VU by saying that they're selling CS:S with a free copy of HL2. I don't believe CS:S is covered under the contract, so it's perfectly ok for them to sell it over Steam.

Back