Extremely Lously Framerates in HL1

K

kjata

I got a probelm with Half Life 2 on my computer and it really really suxs =(

As you read from my title, you would probably have guessed what my problem was? Just to let y'all know, my computer is pretty decent....Just let me list out the specs now =)

Processer : Pentium 4 2.8GHZ C
Operating System : Windows XP Home SP2
Mobo: MSI 865 PE Neo 2
Ram : 512mb 3200 DDR SDRAM
VGA Card : Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample
Storage : 120GB Harddrive
Soundcard : Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Anyway, I got Hl2 from the store and after 1 hr of agonizing wait, I finally manage to get it to run. Set all my settings to 1280 x 1024 plus maximum for everything and ran fraps at the sametime. However at the starting (When G-Man comes out), the framerates were strong at 100, but when it started game started changing to the train part, framerate dropped to 30 - 40 fps! I thought, something was wrong? I read in forums that it stayed at above 60fps most of the time. This time, I tried turning down my settings at 1024 x 800 with all settings low..But for some reasons, I got roughly the same framerates? What was happening?

I searched from forum to forum trying out all the fixes avaliable to no avail. I even defragged my computer my the low framerates still didn't go away. Then one day, I tried formating my computer. After which I got all the latest drivers, bios etc for my computer avaliable. I installed HL2 and even defragged it according to advice avaliable. However the problem still did not go away.

I tried most of the drivers whether it was the 61s , 70s or whatever but it showed no difference in performance. I tried runnigng the card at stock speeds and overclocked it but it didn't work. I tried overclocking my cpu to 3.2GHZ but it still showed no difference!

My fate in NVIDIA is now being sorely tested. First it was stuttering framerates in games which i managed to solve in the end and nows this. I had ATI 9600 Pro last time and I never had this many problems! Could anyone tell me whats happening and how to solve it!

ThankS!

PS : I got 90+ fps in CS Stress Test and my framerates in COD vary from 100+ onwards......

Back