EZ Plug Beside GPU

DevgruSeal

Reaction score
This can be considered a thread in which two problems will be asked about.

On my motherboard, ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe, there is a plug right beside the PCI-Express x16 slot, and on the motherboard itself is "EZ_PLUG."

Now, I just want to confirm on whether this is correct or not.

Do I in fact not need this? I have a power connector on the back of my GeForce 7800GTX video card, and a 24-pin ATX power connection on the motherboard. At the moment I don't have it plugged in, but I have read an article or two (more like forum archived posts), and they never give clear answers. One person said his card clocked higher with it plugged in, and another said it's for if you have 2 video cards setup in SLI mode.

I have noticed that my FPS is awfully low. In BF2/2142 things seem to run laggy even in low graphics settings. At the time of building my PC, the specs were quite high quality if I must say..

So I know something is bottlenecking my PC, and I had been thinking it was my RAM for a while, but after reading other people's specs here on HL2.net compared to how they talk about their "sweet specs" and good FPS on high settings, they had the same DDR speed as me (DDR400)..

I've done an overclock on my PC, and that is 228x11=2508 MHz. My memory, according to CPU-Z, shows Frequency as 179MHz and CAS# Latency of 3.

When booting up, I see that it lists DDR 333, when it's capable of DDR 400, when the CPU isn't overclocked. That's when the RAM setting is to "Auto." though, for both cases I just mentioned.

Any ideas on what could be bottlenecking me? What to do with the EZ Plug? Anything I should change on my overclock? That goes for memory and CPU.

The EZ plug is for switching the board into SLI mode, MAKE SURE IT IS SET TO SINGLE VIDEO CARD MODE!!!!!111 Or it is effectively halving your PCI-express bandwidth! I made the same mistake and left my X850XT running at half bandwidth after my 6600gt SLI cards.
Basicly, it switches the PCI-express lanes into 2X8 mode rather than a single PCI-express X16. If that makes any sense!?
I had the intel version of that board, too! Excellent overclocker, get rid of that stock fan (which i assume you have) and pull off some higher overclocks than 200mhz! Was a cracking board, until it uh... exploded. lol

I'm using this HSF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835101202

I turned Folding@Home on before I went to bed, left it for about 6 hours, and right now the temperature is 48C @ 100% CPU Usage..

I'm guessing my CPU isn't the biggest thing bottlenecking me, but things do seem to be kind of slow when it comes down to the FPS department, and I'm also quite sure the 7800GTX isn't either...

Back