face...2nd try.

xC4RN4G3x

Reaction score
ok this is my 2nd try at the face. i've skimmed through a tutorial but i decided to try things out for myself and not follow the thing step my step(woulda taken too long and i woulda been bored shitless). i ended up not following the tutorial at all....but whatever. i just make a box and connect edges like 5 times and just moved verts around to get the shape. loop+connect was also very useful. yes this was almost all vert manipulation. dont know if thats good or bad....and i did not have a reference pic....i was just touching my face to see if i had a somewhat alright proportion. AND NO THIS IS NOT A MODEL OF MY FACE. any tips would be useful...especially u pro organic modellers out there.
PS: standard 3dsm render. ears are not done(kinda complex so i decided to skip it).

Attachments

• facei.jpg
    facei.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 323
  • faceii.jpg
    faceii.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 257
  • faceiii.jpg
    faceiii.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 271
its very interesting but not quite there yet can we see a render from the side ?
and perhaps the reference you used.

Its a nice second try, but the proportions are messed up espescially below the nose area. You should really try to find good references pictures because they help alot in getting the right proportions of a face.

It looks as if the topology needs to be fixed around the mouth area but i can't be sure without wireframe pics. In any rate, the positioning of the polies must be so that they appear in a circular fashion although my example isn't the best.

Also, learning to be proficient in high poly modeling will be a great benefit if you plan to use normal maps in your models.

refpic4yp.jpg

refpic22ps.jpg

i see. yeah sorry i didnt have a ref picture....this was all done with my imagination. delirious is that polygon mode? thats all i know....i dont know about like splines and stuff. i'll retry to model a face again after i get back from school. mindless, yeah i'll try to post a side render...but it'll be ugly as hell i think. g2g.

I just basically layed down a few polygons using add verts, and then just kept extruding the whole model, shaping it as i go. I use meshsmooth to build the highpoly model.

it subdivdes te mesh so it looks way smoother and is much higher poly

How do you use nurbs in max? I saw a tutorial for maya once and there they could shape things really easy, like have a cylinder and bend it perfectly just by draging in some of the verts. Can you do that in max too?

nm.. I found it=) gosh... Now I can have some bog fun with this program=)

ok i'm gonna need more practice. i tried to make a face another way and it totally ended up like shit. i created a plane and connect the edges like 20 times and tried to move the verts around to ge the shape of the face. i thought it would be like wrapping paper around a face to get the shape...but....omg...it was just shit. i got to learn a bit more. :|

Stertman said:
nm.. I found it=) gosh... Now I can have some bog fun with this program=)

Just in case somebody didn't know this: you can't make a game model with NURBS.

WHOAH 1337!!!!! havnt seen u in forever. so...made anything new? hows ur life going? whats happened since i've left? anything cool? lol these questions seem gay. :-| anyways yeah. nice to see u. i thougt u died or something. :(

Im still lurking on these forums every day :)
Im still working on a MOD (well... on 2 MODs)
Im working on the side to build my own company
Im modeling a chainsaw, I guess I'll have to post it here :)
And I eat and sleep when I have time lol

Last edited:
lol haha. man i wish i could live like that. it would be pretty sweet. i started another face(its looking good, getting my curves down). i'll post it once i get the shape good and all. man ur like a silent assassin. checking the forums everyday and BAM u strike. and everyones like: "whoah 1337 has spoken". and ur words are like thunder. lol. :D

not half bad man. the nose is pretty good. the mouth looks weird and looks like you have lots of smoothing problems with the cheeks. also you could consider modeling the hair.

i got a way better face model coming up. i just need to tweak it a bit more. took me about 3 hours to make. :|

here it is so far. g2g school. i'll fix it up after i get back some more. some parts still look a bit messy.

Attachments

• faceii.jpg
    faceii.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 241
Eyes to far appart, nose a bit to small/sharp, lips way to big and the chin looks wrong,
most likely this is because he had no cheekbones. But it's a nice base, fixing these
issues shouldn't be a problem. Also show a wireframe on the next update,
so we can see if the mesh is good.

what i can see of the reference picture looks really familiar. is from onavanbreen by anychance?

lol i didnt use the ref picture. i only had it to get the shape of the head right. the eyes and lips are way off. but i might be able to adjust them. anyway....yeah i'm at school(computer science right now).
Eyes to far appart, nose a bit to small/sharp, lips way to big and the chin looks wrong,
most likely this is because he had no cheekbones. But it's a nice base, fixing these
issues shouldn't be a problem. Also show a wireframe on the next update,
so we can see if the mesh is good.
what are the cheekbones? most of the mesh is good i believe, prolly about 90% of the polies are rectangles. might have a couple triangles here and there. i know i have to adjust alot of the faces/vertexes because i only got the curves down(i didnt really have time to bring out the face). atleast know i know what i need to fix :). can someone tell me how to render with a wireframe? i really dont like taking screenshots...... finally, yes i agree it is a good base, i think its much better than my fiirst or second attempt. :D

ok i got home and fixed the model up a bit. here it is so far. what else do i need to change? if someone could tell me how to render with edged faces(to see the wireframe) then i could post the wireframe. i dont want to use screenshot because i have to lower the quality of the image by alot. :|
need help with what to do next.

Attachments

• facei.jpg
    facei.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 229
  • faceiii.jpg
    faceiii.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 213
To render in wireframe you need to check the "Force wireframe" checkbox in the "Renderer" tab of the "Render scene" dialog box.

i suggest you get some reference pics. mindless moder is an expert at getting illegal software and he can even get onto website that require passwords. like 3d.sk.

crackhead said:
i suggest you get some reference pics. mindles moder is an expert at getting illegal software and he can even get onto website that require passwords. like 3d.sk.

then mindless moder will be my new hero :p

i was only joking btw hehehe. i thought it would piss him off but obviously it didnt.

i've messed around uv unwrap or whatever but i dont want to do it like that. i dont want to have a premade skin...instead i want to make the polies exported...so i can draw on them. how do i do this? i've seen a couple skin tuts(simons i believe). :|

how do i use this? i installed it...i think(took like 1 second). but i opened my 3dsm up and i dont know what to do. i tried to go into the uv unwrap edit mode to see if i could export them there. i'm confused. :|

you have to go into the utilities pannel (hammer shaped icon) then click on more and u will find it in the list.

Back