Faceposer - a little fun *download*

Andy

Reaction score
Well it took me a day or two but I finally got to grips with that most bug-ridden-half-cooked-god-knows-how-they-built-the-game-with-it-program called faceposer only to discover the joy it can bring.

So in a kind of quasi experiment i put together a little scene, partly to test its features and partly to test the distribution method of any semi-mod I might play with later.

I present for you consumption a little scene of 20 seconds or so with audio that some might recognise. Please realise that this is beta with a capital B but i figured that I might as well throw it out here to get some feed back.

To install just

- extract the file to your SourceMods

- edit run_mod.bat to point to the the HL2.exe file and correct modfile location and run

- fire up the map at the console

will post the vmf if people want it.

I want you to pick holes in this people, i want opinions!!!

Oh, and a shiny sixpence to the man who can tell me why Kleiner's glasses are sheet white. :|

enjoy! :thumbs:

Code:
http://junk.paulm.com/messaround.zip

Attachments

• labact1scene500001.JPG
    labact1scene500001.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 455
  • labact1scene500002.JPG
    labact1scene500002.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 418
can't download it yet dude... soz :( (goddman 56k shall payyeee)

What do I do after the scientist finishes his first rant?

I can't use the big machine D:

Andy try putting a cubemap entity in the room. (I'm at work and can't download it to play with it now though, but I"m guessing that could be the problem)

i've tried a cube map in several different positions but no luck yet...

v1p3r: err... thats it at the moment! Suggest somthing! Its just a demo piece, though I will fashion out a decent room later.

Half Life 2 Machinima will rock! Kudos for being the first to make one even though it isn't much.

Oh, and a shiny sixpence to the man who can tell me why Kleiner's glasses are sheet white. :|

Because that guy's glasses from futurama are like that.

Andy said:
i've tried a cube map in several different positions but no luck yet...

Did you remember to type 'buildcubemaps' in the console, and then restart the map?

yeah, good for you for being the first one to do this in halflife2.net :cheers:

although some people already did this at hl2world days ago..but still..cheers :D

oohhh... i didn't know you had to restart the map after you typed buildcubemaps, thanks for that.

What extra files doyou need to include to give the built cubemaps to people or does the game encorperate it with the bsp?

That is awesome. if you could post the vmf, or explain how you did it, it would be much appreciated.

/edit since you seem to know wtf you're doing, maybe you could answer my questions here
Thanks.

that was pretty nice :D I dread the day I have to learn this for use in my maps,

-J

Zychotous said:
That is awesome. if you could post the vmf, or explain how you did it, it would be much appreciated.

/edit since you seem to know wtf you're doing, maybe you could answer my questions here
Thanks.

The VMF is at the end of this post. (Change extension to .vmf ) As for the question I don't visit the VERC often and haven’t got an account so I’ll answer it here instead.

I remember reading that Face Poser was capable of doing everything needed to create Machinma, but after playing around with it for awhile. I'm starting to think that isn't true. Here's why:

1. Unless I'm missing some other option(s). Only one model is allowed in the 3d view space (when you load up another model, the new one is created in another 3d view space, which you can then switch between using the tabs on the bottom). How do you go about creating interactions between characters if you can't have all the character in the same 3d view space?

2. The Void of blackness. Agian how do you go about creating interactions with only a black void, and no way to nagivate the void, or add anything to it to create a scene. (am I missing something else? I can only rotate/pan/zoom around the model).

So basically it seems as though the only purpose of Face Poser is to create single character actions or voice acting? Then Hammer is used to tie those scenes together to create the final movie? If that is the case could some one please explain which parts are created in Face Poser, and which are created in Hammer to make the following scene:

Camera slowly pans up to show a man sweeping the floor, a nearby door opens another man walks in and starts talking to first man sweeping the floor.

Thanks for any help or Input.

1. The 3d space is used purely for viewing models expression and animations. There is no kind of complete preview functionality. You can load multiple models into the window like this: After loading up multiple models (best to keep it to two or three) you can right click on one of the models tabs and click "show all". Then when you select both models and center them in the view, you will end up with both centered. Then you can adjust each so that both models can be seen. This has limited functionality as I said - they won't even look at each other. The only advantage to having more than one model on the screen is to check that things like expressions synchronise. (See picture attached to post).

2. Faceposer deals with expressions, animations, scripted movements, speech and lookats and some AI stuff. All setting scenary, targets, and everything else is VHE business.

For the scene you just described there is no sweeping animation for humans, only vortigaunts. However that aside the choreography in facepsoer would have two actors, with multiple channels. The first guy would have sweeping animations, facial expressions and probably a “look at actor” with a target of the other actor, so that when the guy started talking, he’d look up. The second guy would have all that, plus a speech channel (where you would load the phenome edited wav files) and a “move to” channel where the guy would be told to move to “!target1”.

In WorldCraft you would build the map and put the two guys (with the correct actors names) where you wanted them to start. The add an logic_choreographed_scene loaded with the saved vcd, give target1 (remember that’s actor two’s walk-to target) a name like “walktohere”, and then create an entity (info_target) with that name. Then make a trigger to set off the logic_choreographed_scene.

That’s probably not very clear so I think I’m going to make a video tutorial over the next few days so that more people can get stuck in and have ago and hopefully help me out.

Back