Fading lightglow

CREMATOR666

Reaction score
I was trying to make something akin to those in HL2 where when you approach the window, the white light fade out leaving you with a normal view of the outside world, how did they do that? :(

I tried it already but it just emits the glow, I want the window to fade out ENTIRELY into a solid white brush which, when you walk in closer, fade out. Maybe it have something to do with func_areaportalwindow? :O I tried decompiling the HL2 maps already but still never figured out how. :(

they use a solid white texture that emits light, then they place a window texture with shaders in front of it.

yeah, the new citidel map that was release uses it.
one of the sp maps.

I know how that was done, but this is a different case, in the Citadel map you mentioned, it's a solid and it dont fade out when you approach it. Take the houses around Highway17 or Sandtraps, for example, when you approach the window, they fade out from pitch black (or white) to let you see inside, but when you walk farther, they fade back into the solid colors again. How do I do this? :(

Light glow seems to work just fine for me. Is the effect also similar to what valve used when you where in a long tunnel and coming up on the exit?

I've included a little map that I made real quick. The values are really exagerated in there, but Im sure you can readjust it to your liking if thats the effect you wanted.

Back