faecal end of the stick for uk and europe

M

martynium

Well I dont know if this has already been posted but it comes as news to me.

I just contacted Gameplay, a uk online game store to ask about the Half-life 2 editions. And apparently there will only be one standard version of the game made available in the uk. The guy I spoke to didnt seem too certain as to what this version would include, and only mentioned CS Source.

If this is true, Im seriously disappointed, and it does strike me as a very curious marketing decision on behalf of Vivendi, as this would only encourage more people to opt for the Steam Gold edition.

Can anybody else cast some more light on this issue, as Im reluctant to pre-order a game when I dont even know what's included.

That's UK for you then, rest of the Europe should be getting the Collector's Ed on 30th

Hmmm funny how www.game.uk.com have the collectors edition listed and no other uk online retailer seems to.

On closer inspection they mention that the contents have not yet been confirmed. At 50 quid I'm going to wait to see what other offers turn up.

sucks for you guys in the UK. i'm sure it'll be available there EVENTUALLY, though. i mean, why would vivendi wanna miss out on that kinda profit?

It's there. The only reason it hasn't appeared with any other retailers is the fact GAME have probably tied up some form of distribution deal with Vivendi. They wouldn't have it positoned being advertised directly as the prize deal on the first page if the Collector's Edition wasn't coming.

Hmmm all sounds a bit fishy to me.

What are you other uk buyers doing? And does anyone else know of other uk stores selling the collectors edition?

martynium said:
What are you other uk buyers doing?

I'll obtain whatever version I can get.

Don't want any micky mouse, plastic merchandising shit.
Not interested in CS:S, don't want stickers, hats, shirts, books, blow up Gordon dolls or lollipops.

I just want to play the damn game.

mmmm i preorded my CE from amazon the night hl2 went gold

Dispatch estimate for these items: 9 Dec 2004
Delivery estimate: 10 Dec 2004 - 11 Dec 2004 1 "Half-Life 2 (DVD ROM): Limited Edition In Metal Tin With T-shirt, Guide, 2 Extra Games"
Video Game; £36.99

The release day can't be right can it? I want to play HL2 the day it comes out, so what shall i do? Luckly i havent paid for it yet so i can cancel.. What do you think?

Hm......yer i should go work out what i'm doing soon.....whether it be steam.....collector's edition or somehting.......

Why don’t you buy the game from steam and back it up on a dvd (I see there is also a DVD BOX cover made by someone and its really kewl :)) u also wont have to give vivendi a dime.

CD WOW do have the Collector's Edition listed at £39.99 but they also list the release date as Monday 29th November (for both the Standard and Collector's Editions)!! So I wouldn't put too much faith in them to be honest.

I've just emailed Game asking them what is happening with the Collector's Edition. First (straight after HL2 went gold) they list the CE with the same box contents as VU Games' own site (and EBgames.com). Then they change it to say "contents to be confirmed" and now they remove all mention of the CE from their site!

It certainly seems possible that the CE will be a "Game Exclusive" in the UK (remember that they're owned by EB and therefore have quite a bit of clout). But then why remove it now that the pre-orders must be flooding in?

I'll post Game's reply when I get it.

The lack of information concerning the UK release of half-life 2 is pretty abysmal I have to say. I mean what exactly do we get with this standard dvd edition? Will half-life source be included? None of the online stores Ive checked provide any helpful information.

Im sorry but Im not buying this game until I know what Im getting.

martynium said:
The lack of information concerning the UK release of half-life 2 is pretty abysmal I have to say. I mean what exactly do we get with this standard dvd edition? Will half-life source be included? None of the online stores Ive checked provide any helpful information.

Im sorry but Im not buying this game until I know what Im getting.

1.) You get Half-Life 2 and CS:Source

2.) No Half-life Source

The UK DVD version (Not collectors) is exactly the same as the US normal version.

Well Game have replied to my email about the Collector's Edition and told us.... nothing at all really. :angry:

"Thank you for your email. We are currently waiting for confirmation from Vivendi as to the status of the Collectors Edition. As soon as we receive this, we will update the website accordingly.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me again."

So either they don't know or can't say. And we thought that the guessing games were over when HL2 went gold!

I guess we'll just have to hold off on pre-ordering until we know exactly what is going to be available over here in the UK. ;(

I've just noticed that Game.net still has the old Collector's Edition page up and has only removed the links to it. I still had the page address in my History.

http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=325016

So perhaps Vivendi have just been asked them to keep quiet about it for a while? (Even though everyone knows about it.) Perhaps Vivendi are changing the box contents slightly? We still have more questions than answers......

I hate to say this but EA wouldn't leave it's customers in the dark about a big release in the way that Vivendi has! :angry:

CR0M said:
I'll obtain whatever version I can get.

Don't want any micky mouse, plastic merchandising shit.
Not interested in CS:S, don't want stickers, hats, shirts, books, blow up Gordon dolls or lollipops.

I just want to play the damn game.

lol classic

AFAIK, the UK DVD version is exactly the same as the US normal version, except they get 6 CDs and we get one DVD. In that respect I suppose everone except us has got the 'faecal end of the stick'.

In other respects, we aren't doing as well. For example, obtaining the collectors edition seems more difficult over here. The collectors edition will be exactly the same as the one in the US.

As for me, I have had the ordinary version on pre-order since last september. With 20/20 hindsight, I probably should have waited, but what the hell.

Nice one Resien, thanks. That (if true) certainly would make sense.

I guess I'll wait for Game to put it back on their web site and then pre-order the Collector's Edition. I really want HL: Source ;)

both Standard and the CE will be available in the UK. Thing is..i dont care.. GOLD BABY!!!

//me wait patiently for GOLD PACKAGE goodies!

Back