Faith in valve's HL2 coding (not about leak)

BigD

Reaction score
I just have a few thoughts about HL2s (future) performance.

I think people need to stop worrying about system requirements so much.
I think as long as you have a decent cpu and a good graphics card you will really be able to enjoy HL2.
For granted, HL2 looks BREATHTAKING I mean theres nothing that comes close to the vids you all seen, but when it comes to coding the game, im sure Valve knows exactly what they are doing, and work very hard to squeeze every little mhz out of our graphics boards and cpus in order to deliever a smooth gaming experiance:)

HL2 is not some crap just thrown out the door after 6 months of sloppy work, these guys at valve truley know what they are doing:)

Theres been some good examples of good/bad coding in the past, some games that shouldnt even be very demanding, still will run like CRAP on even the best graphics cards because they are SO POORLY coded and are totally CPU dependent.

Then there's games with superb graphics, that run really well on medium end systems with decent graphics boards.

Its all about the skill of the coders, and i am very sure that HL2 will run very well on most mid range machines, as long as they are equipped with a fairly good graphics card i think that is the key:)

I take it some of you have tried the call of duty demo? My mate is running it at 60 fps solid at 1024x768 with all details on max, on a 1 ghz athlon duron with 256 ram and a geforce 2.
Good coding.

There are bad coding examples too, I think Ubi Softs ravenshield is one of them, not the best though.
I run the game great myself, but lots of people i know have serious fps problems.
The game is running extremely poorly on some peoples comps equipped with the newest ATI cards, and thats on good cpus too.
The game is totally cpu dependent, the graphics board doenst take half as big a load off of the CPU as it could.

This is long and might seem like BS to many, myself included :p hahaha
but seriously, the bottom line is, i am sure HL2 is EXTREMELY well coded and will run well on just about all mid range comps, and if youre above 1.5 ghz and have a 128 mb graphics card or more, i think it will run just splendid with all details cranked up!:)

Cheers!

P4- 2.4 Ghz
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb
1024 mb RAM

I think that bad coding example you were looking for is the PC version of HALO.

Wow, this must be the first thread on this forum that talks about other things than the source-code since the leak.
"I'm impressed." - G-Man

ha ha ha thanks to you now this thread is talking about the leak you fool

i'm thinkin of gettin a comp. i play on my fathers =

p4 2000mhz
256k DDR ram
Geoforce 4 MX 420

not sure bout the rest :/
this would prob run HL2 at low-med settings ffs :/ NEED MORE POWER!!

Halo is rubbish. Runs like a dog stuck in cement and the levels are ****ing boring, running thru the same rooms for hours aint fun.

yeah halo is bad,
bf 1942 must be the worse coded game ever.

Ah, thanks, halo is a good example of bad coding.
I mean i run it on my comp on 1024 with all on max and sometimes it really chuggs down.

I mean come on you should be able to make the games frame rate more consistent, and actually exceeds 30-40 most of the time, on these systems gamers play on these days its ridiculous, come on the game is 2 years old :)

But yeah anyway, i do have complete faith in Valve and i know they will code the game so that you can actually run it smoothly if you have a decent comp:)
Cheers!

Thanks to Gearbox Halo's ruined on PC . I bought the Xbox version last christmas and still play it because it's so freaking fun...

Current rumour (based on people playing with simple maps and the complied source code) has it that hl2 is actually faster than hl1 at the same detail level (at least for big areas) so it does look like valve have done a lot of optimising for hl2.

blarg

hl2 will own you, your family, and your future generations, so dont worry m8

IT WASN'T A LEAK RETARD!!!

It was a THEFT. Why can't people tell the facking difference??

Halo PC > Halo Xbox (In Multiplayer). The game runs perfect on most machines in multiplayer. But I agree that the game wasn't programmed very well in single player (On my Athlon XP 1800 / 512MB PC2700 / Radeon 9800 Pro, I'm getting 25-35fps on average @ 1024x768/max details). But saying that it should run better because it's two years old is moot, because the game incorporates a lot of graphical effects that most games (Even UT2003) don't have. Reflective surfaces using PS2.0, amazing water effects (Not talking about Battle Creek, dunno what they did with the water there), very detailed textures (Walk up to a metal surface, and then zoom in with your pistol and you can see even more 'scratches' and 'flaws' making the material look more realistic). Turn on 8xAF (Or 16xAF on ATi cards) and the ground textures are very detailed and 'dirty' looking, and it appears that way for large distances.

I don't understand the hatred for Halo on most of these message boards (Not specifically HL2.net's), nor do I understand the comments that the Xbox version is 'more fun' or 'better' than the PC version. If you prefer playing the game with a controller, that limits you immensely on what control you have, at 640x480, at a locked 30fps, then my condolences to you. But I prefer being able to scale the resolution as high as I wish, enabling PS2.0 effects, and using a superior control setup w/ my mouse and keyboard.

http://home.grics.net/overclocked/halo/halo-pretty.jpg <-- This is how Halo looks on PC :)

Yeah, I went WAY off-topic here, but I felt I had to get that off my chest.

Back on-topic, I have faith in Valve's ability to allow the game to run at playable framerates on mid-range hardware, but to say the game will run 'amazing' on high-end hardware, I'm sitting on the fence with that one. The City-17 demo was only reaching 48fps on a 3.0C P4 / 9800 Pro. Sounds scary to me.

Originally posted by MadsMan
IT WASN'T A LEAK RETARD!!!

It was a THEFT. Why can't people tell the facking difference??
Words of a "facking" genius.

"Back on-topic, I have faith in Valve's ability to allow the game to run at playable framerates on mid-range hardware, but to say the game will run 'amazing' on high-end hardware, I'm sitting on the fence with that one. The City-17 demo was only reaching 48fps on a 3.0C P4 / 9800 Pro. Sounds scary to me."

Dude, i would be delighted to get 48 fps in hl2 with all on max, in the City-17 surroundings :)
If you run anything above 2 ghz and have a really good card, say radeon 9800 pro, then i am sure youll enjoy good frames:)

My system is fairly high end, p4-2.4 ghz 1024 ram, radeon 9800 pro 256 mb, and I am not even worried mate:) Im certain itll run just fine, maybe ill expereicen lower fps in larger areas such as the city 17, but if i get 40 fps with ALL on max hell thats just splendid :)

Cheers

Back