Pressure

Reaction score

Attachments

• Performance.jpg
    Performance.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 292
Fart Cry :LOL:

I'm sorry, it's a bit immature but things like that make me chuckle :D

I don't understand what happened. Did Nvidia cheat their way into making the GF6800 look better by running the Radeon X800 XT on Far Cry with "FartCry.exe" instead of "FarCry.exe" ?

Moto-x_Pat said:
I don't understand what happened. Did Nvidia cheat their way into making the GF6800 look better by running the Radeon X800 XT on Far Cry with "FartCry.exe" instead of "FarCry.exe" ?

As I understand it, running "farcry.exe" changed some options around for a gain of performance on the 6800
Renaming farcry.exe (to anything, ie. fartcry.exe) put the card at default settings, so it ran the same settings as the X800XT ran..

Ahahaha... what?! Renaming it fartcry.exe makes you lose 10 frames per second?! I guess that would be... well... fart?

Pretty much renaming it shows off how good the 6800 really is, its normally boosted with farcry.exe but renaming it gets rid of that boost.

it means nividia is cheating, reducing image quality settings when it hears windows call "farcry.exe", producing higher FPS numbers, at the cost of IQ.

ATI did the same thing years ago with Quake 3 on the Radeon 8500. People changed every instance of the word "Quake" to "quack" and found that the Radeon's performance was much lower than before.

Nvidia has become the new ATI, struggling to find an edge they simply do not have. I have a feeling the double molex connector on the 6800U is going to be a real sales killer.

Spiffae said:
it means nividia is cheating, reducing image quality settings when it hears windows call "farcry.exe", producing higher FPS numbers, at the cost of IQ.

ATI did the same thing years ago with Quake 3 on the Radeon 8500. People changed every instance of the word "Quake" to "quack" and found that the Radeon's performance was much lower than before.

Nvidia has become the new ATI, struggling to find an edge they simply do not have. I have a feeling the double molex connector on the 6800U is going to be a real sales killer.

well, ati also admitted it, and it was fixed in the next driver i recall.(also i dont believe any IQ was lost)

but nvidia did this with their FX series of cards too, heh

Speaking of renaming exes.. that was one thing fun about the nVidia Dawn demo.. :)

i wonder what happens when we rename halflife2.exe to halflifes.exe (or somthing like that) would the x800xt performance drop? :x

Shuzer said:
Speaking of renaming exes.. that was one thing fun about the nVidia Dawn demo.. :)

Haha!................ dangley parts.

Even more fun on an ATI card.

It's just that the drivers recognizes the filename and then scales down IQ to boost FPS. And when you rename the file, the drivers don't recognize it anymore (doesn't have to be fartcry, could be anything) and no optimizations are loaded.
Nvidia did the same with the NV3x and 3dMark.exe, when you renamed it to 3dmurk the scores were much lower.
It's lame cheating, but it's not unlikely that ATi is gonna do the same with HL2, it's just the way things are done...

thehunter1320 said:
may i ask of wat you speak?

if you rename the .exe of nvidia's dawn demo to "quake3.exe" or "3dmark03.exe" (i'm not sure about the second one) she's nude (for quake3), or nude without wings(3dmark)... it's weird.

It was funny, they cracked the Dawn demo to run on ATI and it ran a lot better on them than on the Nvidia that it's supposed to promote, humiliation :LOL:

CheapAssStrat said:
Haha!................ dangley parts.

Even more fun on an ATI card.

Yep, that's when I found out about it (the most powerful nVidia card in my house is a GF3 Ti200, which I don't use anymore), after they invented the ATi OpenGL hack for it

Chris_D said:
Fart Cry :LOL:

I'm sorry, it's a bit immature but things like that make me chuckle :D

My thoughts exactly.

I actually thought that it was gonna be a thread of Far Cry bashing, but then I realized it wouldn't have gone on for 3 pages.

Shuzer said:
Yep, that's when I found out about it (the most powerful nVidia card in my house is a GF3 Ti200, which I don't use anymore), after they invented the ATi OpenGL hack for it

I could never get that demo to work.

somethign about point sprite error or something, did you have that problem?

nw909 said:
I could never get that demo to work.

somethign about point sprite error or something, did you have that problem?

You had to be running an older version of the catalyst drivers, but someone released a fix for all versions of catalyst
I can give them to you if you'd like (It's just an older version of the DLL that works universally)

Ont he subject of cheating graphics card manufacturers: There are lies, damn lies, and benchmarks.

Back