Fav album 1 2 3?

Raxxman

Reaction score
So what's everyone favorite 1 2 3 in an album

to be clear, what's the best first second and third song combo you've ever heard?

Loads of fantastic albums but I often find that one of the first three is somewhat lacking.

For me it's got to be Pearl Jam ten.

Prob not my fav Pearl Jam album, but Once, Even Flow, and Alive has got to be my fav 1 2 3.

So what about you guys?

Niggaz 4 Life- NWA
The Chronic- Dr. Dre
AmeriKKKas Most Wanted- Ice Cube

(these are albums, not songs)

Mad Season - Above
Mr. Bungle - California
Faith No More - Angel Dust

Edit: What are you asking? "1 2 3 in an album?" What?

1.Down with the Sickness-Disturbed
2.Belive-Disturbed
3.10000 Fists-(you know) Disturbed
There are more albums from Depeche Mode like: Playing with angel,Exciter etc..

Metallica S&M Disc 1 or 2

Ecstasy of Gold
Call of Ktulu
Master of Puppets

or

Nothing Else Matters
Until It Sleeps
For Whom The Bell Tollz

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

System of a Down - Toxicity

Green Day - Dookie

yeah I haven't been very clear, sorry.

What I meant was for you, what album has the overall best 1st 2nd and 3rd songs. Not necessarily your favorite songs of all time.

Um I guess another way to say it would be, if every album was only the first 3 songs long, what would be the best album...

See for me it's Ten.

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

What else have you tried? I suggest Music has the Right to Children, it really is quite good.

As for me, well... I can't choose.

Maybe The Wall, Songs for the Deaf and Surrealistic Pillow? There are too many.

The Band - The Band
Blood, Sweat, and Tears - Blood, Sweat, and Tears
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

It's close but I would have to say:

Two Against Nature - Steely Dan

1. Gaslighting Abbie
2. What a Shame About Me
3. Two Against Nature

Okay I feel responsible for being unclear so I will try once more, and sorry for using caps lock at points

This is NOT a top 3 album list (that's kinda common). This IS a song list, to a point. It's about the first 3 songs on an album.

It may seem odd, but when I get a new CD I often don't have time to listen the whole thing immediately. I usually only get about 3 songs into it before somethings comes up and I have to walk away. Similarly when I listen to my mp3 player I often put an album on and get about 3 songs into it before I reach my destination.

So this got me thinking about first songs of albums, they're ususally the more racy ones (get people into the album), not often the best song the album (don't spend yourself too quickly)

This also isn't about your three fav songs, I do make playlists, but I also like to give albums a run, or at least part of a run.

This isn't your fav album issue either. While I don't think Ten is my fav album of all time, I do feel that as a track list; 1. Once, 2. Even Flow, 3. Alive, is the best start to an album ever (my fav song on the album is Black btw), See I think Once is the weakest of the 3 but its still a cracking song, while Even Flow and Alive are both really amazing songs that drag Once up with them. In addition I feel the 3 songs go very well together, starting with the racey Once, then Even Flow, following up with the slightly more chilled 'Sway song' Alive.

So I'm sorry I made a weird request and didn't explain it too well (the trouble with half baked ideas and 2 mins before hitting the sack)

In conclusion Evo had the right idea, S&M is an awesome album. I'd go with Disc 2 over Disc 1 (Slightly) but that's me.

Damn, this is actually really hard. After a quick glance, I can pick one that seems to stand out:

Finntroll - Jaktens Tid

1. Krig (Intro)
2. Födosagan
3. Slaget Vid Blodsälv

Slaget's a great song in its own right, but what makes this is the intro, Krig, leading into Födosagan. It's phenomenal, makes me shiver every time.

Some of my favs:

Circle Jerks, Group Sex (Deny Everything, I Just Want Some Skank, Beverly Hills)

Suicidal Tendencies, Join the Army (Suicidal Maniac, Join The Army, You Got I Want)

Municipal Waste, Waste Em All (Executioner, Sweet Attack, Mutants Of War)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The whole album flows together, it all sounds great (even the wierd stuff with all the screaming)

Other then all the Classical stuff no one's heard of...

Greatest Hits - Queen
The Greatest Hits - Neil Diamond
Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf

Just updated mine, now i get the point of the thread

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The whole album flows together, it all sounds great (even the wierd stuff with all the screaming)

I was going to say this for the last two songs, which is the best 1 2 i've ever heard, but the one before them doesn't have the same caliber of flow to it, that and they're the last 3, not the first

Those... those are songs.

And "tolls" is not spelled with a "z" at the end, kid.

Yes, they are songs, as we were meant to do as Raxxman said

And i bloody well know it is Tolls not Tollz but on the back of S&M case with the track listing it is just Tollz. A little 'easter egg' of my own there dude

This is NOT a top 3 album list (that's kinda common). This IS a song list, to a point. It's about the first 3 songs on an album.

In conclusion Evo had the right idea, S&M is an awesome album. I'd go with Disc 2 over Disc 1 (Slightly) but that's me.

Personally i can just listen to Ecstasy of Gold over and over :D

Yeah, the opening to Ten is great, only bested by the Brendon O'Brian remix on Rearviewmirror

What are you talking about? "Any Colour You Like" is probably the best song on the album. I've always been a fan of Pink Floyd's "jam sessions" and that song is the best example of them. It's absolutely awesome in every way, and to be honest, and if anything, the last two songs don't segue as well from the song.

Well when i listen to it i find the while the whole thing flows pretty well, it comes together at the last two songs, must just be me :)

A Perfect Circle- Mer De Noms

The Hollow
Magdelena
The Rose.

Mogwai - Mr. Beast

Travel Is Dangerous
Team Handed
Friend of the Night

Hail to the Thief (Radiohead)

01 2+2=5
02 Sit Down, Stand Up
03 Sail to the Moon

Straight Outta Compton (N.W.A)

1st. Straight Outta Compton
2nd. **** Tha Police
3rd. Gangsta, Gangsta

This album just answers soooo PERFECTLY to the question at hand. Each of these songs enjoy incredible cult-status in my books.

Sigur Ros -- Takk

1. Takk
2. Glosoli
3. Hoppipolla

easily squarepusher's album ultravisitor
1. ultravisitor
2. I fulcrum
3. iambic 9 poetry

the first three tracks are the best on the album and blend seamlessly

I recall you at one time saying Squarepusher was boring, Harij. :) But I have to agree.

The electro/dnb smash-up, followed by the moody bass solo, and then the freeform jazzy composition... very lovely.

The Jam - Snap! Disc Two

1. The Eton Rifles
2. Going Underground
3. Dreams of children

All great tracks

Hmm, couldn't seem to find any albums where I especially like all three starting tracks, but...

Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled

1. Bomb Track
2. Killing In The Name
3. Take The Power Back

Always gets me really pumped just listening to those first three \m/

what about Rage against the machine - battle of los angeles

1. Testify
2. Guerilla radio
3 calm like a bomb

Hmm, couldn't seem to find any albums where I especially like all three starting tracks, but...

1. Bomb Track
2. Killing In The Name
3. Take The Power Back

YES.

Ditto for me, RATM ftw..

amon tobin - bricolage

boards of canada - the campfire headphase

phish - billy breathes

phish - round room (pebbles and marbles is the hands down best song of all time)

1. Bomb Track
2. Killing In The Name
3. Take The Power Back

RATM can really get me pumped, but I'm not a huge fan of Bomb Track and Killing In The Name. Take The Power Back and Know Your Enemy, though... phwoaaarrr.

I'm changing mine.

1. Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
2. The Aquabats - Charge!!
3. Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything (As Long as It's Not Challenging)

@ venturon, I have all of BOC's albums with the exception of Twoism, and Geogaddi is still my favorite. I just love the creepy vibes.

Back