Favorite Aliens?

Which group of aliens is your favorite?

• Headcrabs/Zombies/SuperZombies/Gonarch

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • Alien Slaves/Grunts/Controllers/Ships/Nilanth

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Generic dudes (Houndeyes, Bullsquids, etc.)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • The Barnacle and other stationary threats

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Race-X bugs from Opforce

• Mini-Bosses (Tentacle, Icthy, Garg)

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • The Opforce Boss Worms

• Living Alien Weapons (Snarks, etc.)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • The humans were better than the bugs

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • My favorite is from the future: HL2

Votes: 19 22.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
In order to distract the masses from the boredom of no new info and incessant delay threads, here's a simple poll:
Which alien group from Half-Life/Opposing Force was your favorite?

:sniper: Fight mediocrity! Vote today!

I always found the headcrab series of critters the coolest. Most enemies either wanted to eat you or shoot you full of holes. The crabs just wanted jack your body for a joyride,

Originally posted by Flyingdebris
The crabs just wanted jack your body for a joyride,

LOL ! I like the HeadCrabs too.

I heard that in HL2 they will attach themselfs to other alien spicies like "AlienSlaves" to creat new Zombie/Alien type creatures. And they will like Jump on to them right infront of you. And Morph the alien in its track. Or take over its nervuse system.

Humans, definatelly. Assasins are some of the best enemies I've seen in any game to this day.

Yeah since it's a bit unfair to have a 'human' option on a poll for favourite alien (not favorite enemy), I chose for Alien Slaves/Grunts/Controllers/Ships/Nilanth because they are the most intelligent, thus a bigger challenge. If I'd taken humans into account, definately human grunts and assassins.

I hope in HL2 the headcrabs can take you over. Remember AVP? the facehuggers could take you over , gameover. I don't see how they could take everything else over but not you, ya know?

Human Grunts were my favorite, becasue they always would have fortified areas and tanks and helicopters to support them.

Originally posted by AgentXen
I heard that in HL2 they will attach themselfs to other alien spicies like "AlienSlaves" to creat new Zombie/Alien type creatures. And they will like Jump on to them right infront of you. And Morph the alien in its track. Or take over its nervuse system.

Seriously?!? I'd like to see one take over a bullsquid! :eek:
The resulting zombie would be one mean SOB.

I have always been a huge fan of the liveing weapons.. the definatley tickle my fancy

The future is the key i say, screw the past onward to bigger and better things!

something outa oposeing force... even though I beat it last month again I cant remember quite what it was =D

beat it on medium...

i like those sonic/nova dogs ;]
they do cool sound when you hit'em
either when they shoot, so they are my favorites

those things where awesoem with there load ringy noise really immersed you into the world =D

they died cool too... im a HUGE headcrab fan obviously (see avatar)

Originally posted by Wraith
wtf is a superzombie?

In OpForce the zombies start to grow larger and and can move way faster. They also can pull chunks of their organs out and throw them at you. :eek:

I really liked them, but there were only about three in the entire game.

Headcrab + Human = Zombie
Zombie + 3 hours = Super zombie
Superzombie + another 3 hours = Superzombie and Headcrab spawner
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specualtion but they do keep growing so who knows

at that rate wouldent they take over the world in a matter of weeks

I like the headcrabs/zombies because they had the best scripted sequences to suprise you out of nowhere...

edit: headcraps... :bounce:

@#$% all thise alien @%^$, I liked the Marines the best, they are alot more fun and use great AI.
Sometimes I even reloaded level(s) tons of times because I liked messing with those Marines, I hope HL2 will have buncha Marines, more then aliens actually.

admin edit: language filters are in place for a reason, "beating the system" doesn't do anyone any favours

U didnt even like those lightning aliens? I thought they where the best ot mess with

THe Lightning Aliens are alien slaves. And HL2 will have combine soldier, they wil be alot like the marines.

Definately zombies. They way they smashed through doors to get at you was very. I love climbing the elevator ladder at the start and seeing Barney pumping them full of lead.

One of the coolest moments I remember was when you come up some stairs and see a zombie on a catwalk with a glass window. As you move down a scientist dives through a window to your left, the zombie on the catwalk smashes the glass and falls to the ground then picks itself up and advances towards you. Then a second zombie smashes through a stone wall and comes for you.

Man the stuff they did with the zombies was cool.

Cowboy that's probably one of my favourite sequences as well, but I really do love fighting the human grunts and assasins. AI working well in a team against you made for some very interesting encounters. Hl2 is going to pwn for that reason. Intelligent enemies are the way forward for first person shooters.

Alien Slaves/Grunts/Ships

Hate the Controllers and the Nihlant.

I really liked the houndeyes--not for their intelligence, obviously, but because they had interesting reactions that would seem fairly realistic. I always thought it was neat that they ran away when you shot them, and that they ran around and made noises like little dogs. Almost made me feel bad to kill them. When I was playing through half-life, in On the Rail, one of the houndeyes jumped up and fell in the water, but it didn't drown.....I thought that was really funny.

The houndeyes were by far the cutest aliens I've ever seen in a game. They'd stare at you with their big eye, jumping up and down in joy, welcoming you with their beautiful blue electric ripple. *mmmmjipjip*

Ah nostalgia...

Snarks.. ugh! I hated those, they ran too fast and were hard to hit unless you had explosives.

My favorite would be the headcrabs: nasty little buggers always had me on the edge of my seat :)

Originally posted by Mechagodzilla
Seriously?!? I'd like to see one take over a bullsquid! :eek:
The resulting zombie would be one mean SOB.

Holy crap, that would be one of the few aliens I would actually worry about fighting. The bullsquid is mean enough, but a headcrabbed super-squid! AHH!

My favorite enemy was the ichthyosaur (aka Ichy). This is the only enemy I really feared. Just one could rip you to shreds, and were incredibly hard to kill seeing as how only the glock could shoot under water. A group of two just scared me shitless. Like that one holding tank in Op4 where you had to go through two of them to get into a small vent and break out into a ventilation/waste system.

The bullsquids weren't really a challenge, unless they were up close. Ichthyosaurs never really bothered me, I could swim fast enough to get to where i wanted to get without Itchy getting me. Dam I really need to replay op4 and play blue shift (will be 1st time, got it here but never played)!!

Why does my IE have a menu called "Favorites"? Is that British English or American English?
And a related question: To do someone a favor? To do someone a favour?
The word comes from 'faveur' which is French. And I'm sure there's a latin word for it that's similar.
Same thing with color/colour coming from couleur.
Could anyone clear this up for me?

Those 'mini bosses' Ain't accually mini-bosses. They are just normal enemies with scripted seqences :p

There was only one tentacle beast fcuktard, how is that a normal enemy that is scripted?

They're considered mini-bosses because of their meaning to gameplay. They introduce the transition to a higher 'level' of gameplay. Killing the tentacle was the goal of 1 entire mission (blast pit), ictchy was the 'boss' guarding the crossbow and guarding the underwater door, Garg also had to be killed before you could advance. That's the meaning of bosses in games: you have to kill it before you can continue.

Ah the crossbow... I had many good frags with that one in DM :)

Back