Favorite Metal Band

{N}o{L}i3s

Reaction score
I would have to say that my favorite metal band is Children of Bodom. :E

Classic - Its a battle between Iron Maiden and Metallica

Modern - Its a battle between Slipknot and Children of Bodom

I would have to say that my favorite classic metal band is Metallica.

SearanoX said:
How Slioknot are metal, I don't know.

You know that there's like 20 types of metal, don't you? o_O

Nu Metal: Mushroomhead

Uhh, some other type of metal: Iced Earth

How could you call Slipknot pop? They might not be metal, but good god, they're a long way from pop. If you want pop with guitars and screaming, try Lostprophets. Or Gwen Stefani.

It's between Children of Bodom and Dark Tranquillity, and no, don't ask me to choose.

KagePrototype said:
How could you call Slipknot pop? They might not be metal, but good god, they're a long way from pop. If you want pop with guitars and screaming, try Lostprophets. Or Gwen Stefani.

i think he meant "mainstream" yknow, the likes of good charloote or blink182...kinds scary...

Hmm...As I Lay Dying is a pretty good band...I like :) thanks MurderScene

wowwowowow you guys have awesome taste....

bodom is awesome...pantera is awesome...maiden is awesome....megadeth, metallica, slayer, weeeeeeeeeeee! :D

SearanoX said:
They rely on the catchyness of pop, clean vocals, and all that stuff in order to be more accessible to the mainstream. I suppose "pop" might be going a little far, but I honestly don't know what other term to use (as I don't think they really fit the nu metal criteria).

-well, their new album yes...but the old ones? dear god, if you consider growls to be "catchy" and "clean" then i want what your smoking!
btw, no such thing as nu-metal, its just a stupid trend

{N}o{L}i3s said:
Hmm...As I Lay Dying is a pretty good band...I like thanks MurderScene

-glad you like em =). heres some other good bands..
Bury Your Dead
EveryTimeIDie
Norma Jean
Himsa
DeadToFall
Fear Before The March of Flames
UnderOath

got a bunch more but too lazy to put up =P

Skinless (us), Dying fetus (us), Deathstars (se), Behemoth (pl), Cannibal corpse (us), Suffocation (us) and Abominable putridity (a new, underground Russian death metal-band, its incredible)

I very much think Slipknot is metal, nu-metal, thats the deal with nu/neu/new-metal, its supposed to be a bit more mainstream -pop-like. Doesnt matter though, i still hate them

im just getting into metal, so wut are some good bands where its not just ppl screaming into a microphone every song.

So far my favorite two are System of a Down and Disturbed.

I just tryed listening to Children of Bodom, but the satan screaming kinda ruins their songs

Phat-t said:
im just getting into metal, so wut are some good bands where its not just ppl screaming into a microphone every song.

So far my favorite two are System of a Down and Disturbed.

I just tryed listening to Children of Bodom, but the satan screaming kinda ruins their songs

Go for some Metallica. Some good albums from them are And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, The Black Album, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All.

Tool / Powerman 5k is about as close as I get to metal.

Love Powerman 5k. They're so underrated.

Phat-t, I'd recommend you start with Power Metal - the bands SearanoX mentioned are a good starting point - Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Nightwish, Dragonforce etc. The first metal I started listening to was Power, and I eventually progressed through to Power with harsh lyrics (Children of Bodom), then Melodic Death, Death, Symphonic Black/Black and Thrash. Sort of a tier system, allowing small gaps in style change each way.

I like Nightwish and Iron Maiden - but its mayby soft bands for hardcore metal heads.
But I like this bands.

Iron Maiden

Good Power Metal Bands:

Helloween
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Blind Guardian (some stuff)

Axis of Advance

...have climbed to the top of my list of favourite bands

Some other bands that are up there or have been at some point are:
Revenge
Immortal
Nile
Absu
Leviathan
Kvist

There's a fair cross-section of the more extreme side of metal in there, although br00t4l death, gore-anything, random grind subgenres, melodeath, and many others are not covered.

AoA are a must for any extreme metaller who values good songwriting. Hear 'Strike'.

Fear Factory(Everything about them, kicks. ass.)

Amon Amarth(Just got into these guys, their stuff is crazy, almost like biblical reading...really fast.)

Dimmu Borgir(Ooooh my god, the vocals!)

Iron Maiden(Living Gods.)

Jack Off Jill / Scarling(poppish lead singer, but the lyrics are so ****ed its great.)

Otep(Rap and metal, who would've thought it could sound so sick?)

Metallica were my first love within Metal. I haven't delved into it too much, i've gone more soft rock now...

Current favourite bands have shifted around a little, now. I'd have to say that at the moment, my favourites are:

Dismember - Death Metal at its best. I urge you to acquire any of their albums, especially 'Where Ironcrosses Grow' and the rather simply titled 'Death Metal'.

Old Man's Child - Can't say no to Melodic Black Metal, even though the vocals are very Death in style. Still, they absolutely rock.

Dark Tranquillity (again.)

Back