Feedback on this screenshot

Dux

Reaction score
Just gavering feedback

Can I have peoples opinions to this screenshot from some of my work please, thanks.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 650
looks good to me:) nice mood and ambience although maybe a little too dark for my liking but it could just be the screenshot, in any case i like it!

Need a flashlight :)

But I dont know what it is, so cant give my opinion. If you tried to model a Toys'R'Us store you failed miserably ;)

Nice look to it. Don't know if you want it to be that dark or not, but it seems dark compared to a typical map.

I'd like to see the final version.

Thanks for the replies :)

Its dark becasue dark = atmosphere. Getting fed up with Half-Life maps being completely bright and un-moody - if you know what I mean. It isnt as dark as it makes out to be. You can see quite clearly :)

Its a level set for a mod called Isolation. If you'd like to see some more screenshots you can go take a look here

http://www.smdblink.plus.com/isoscreens.htm

Thanks.

That mod looks like it has some pretty good work done on it. Nice.

Wow, screen looks awsome and so does the rest of em on the website to, keep up the great work, hope i can play it soon :D

K few issues I've got with it.

1) Looks like your r_speeds are atrocious in that area due to the pipes in the celing combined with the steam effect.

2) Seems like that's quite a bit of water, if this room is goin the way you want it, I'd suggest making as few entry ways into it as possible.

3) What are your r_speeds and e/w polys in this room?

i have a solution to this trend towards pitch black areas and moody (dark) maps
my desktop brightness (thats right, DESKTOP, in addition to game) is at 100% and the ambience and light conditions now look very realistic

that screenshot looks dark, but i can see everything
very good

Originally posted by Cipher
K few issues I've got with it.

1) Looks like your r_speeds are atrocious in that area due to the pipes in the celing combined with the steam effect.

2) Seems like that's quite a bit of water, if this room is goin the way you want it, I'd suggest making as few entry ways into it as possible.

3) What are your r_speeds and e/w polys in this room?

The r_speeds are not atrocious. Where did you get that idea from? detailed maps must have atrocious r_speeds?

There is one entry way to the water, 2 if you count the falling platform you walk on.

Highest wpoly count in that room is 860 lowest is 60. epoly 3400 constant 100fps

I can see why he might think the r_speeds are high. Someone could make that map, with speeds kept nicely bellow or around 800, where as another less experienced mapper, could make it with speeds of around 1500. Simply because they didn't use all the little techniques that help keep a map running smoothly.
There are a lot of objects that could give the impression of high r_speeds.

Anyway. I like it. It makes me think that I'm getting out of practice. Hmmm I think i might go make something just to see if Ive still got it :)

P.S> You really captured the atmosphere there. But if the entire thing is dark, it loses it. Because there isn't nothing to contrast the dark. So in a map having a couple of Well lit rooms or something, really amplifies the darkness and gives players the impression of having a safe zone in the light. But if the have a safe zone then they must also have an unsafe zone....

omg those tubes...and those little steel ...fences? (english not that good) must have taken lots of time to do that...i mean all those little details

Very nice man, I wish I could still map like that.. I should prolly start gettin back to it since I need to start mappin for my mod soon.. lol

It's missing something and I know what it is. You need cow-bells. Lots of cow-bells!

Originally posted by Dux
Thanks for the replies :)

Its dark becasue dark = atmosphere. Getting fed up with Half-Life maps being completely bright and un-moody - if you know what I mean. It isnt as dark as it makes out to be. You can see quite clearly :)

Its a level set for a mod called Isolation. If you'd like to see some more screenshots you can go take a look here

http://www.smdblink.plus.com/isoscreens.htm

Thanks.

duuuuude youre a mapper for isolation? do you have ANY clue when that mod is gonna be available for download?

Well, due to our very small team size we dont think it wil be out before Christmas.

we are hoping for a christmas release but as dux said a small team makes it slow work.

Very nice looking maps!

I ALSO LIKE TYPING IN CAPS WHEN RESONDING TO NEW MAPS! I AM TEH ROXXOR! FEAR ME!!!

Just kidding Jhahn, I'm sarcastic a lot. Still though, nice maps DUX. Cheers to you and the rest of the team!!!

hey i'm cool, i can type in all caps too

oh wait - no i can't :(

about the map, it's very hard to tell from that 1 screenshot, it certainly doesn't look terrible!

Yes.

Version 3.3 with Zoners Compile Tools.

Back