figured out where g-man came from

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
im sure some of u guys know this, but in 1920's, a gangster(forgot his name) called the fbi, g-men for goverment men, i know everyone knows that g-man stands for that, but this iswhere it came from

And you're so sure of this because you suck?

Edit: Sorry... But fuzzy topics, shitty english... That just gets me off.

ktimekiller said:
im sure some of u guys know this, but in 1920's, a gangster(forgot his name) called the fbi, g-men for goverment men, i know everyone knows that g-man stands for that, but this iswhere it came from
It was nickname for government employees, like FBI agents and such. I watched a movie from the 20s(I think) and they mentioned g-men.

^^^^^^ <---Pointing to Dead-Inside's post before his edit.
Uhh.. ok.

Sorta on topic...I forget...how does the G-Man actually get his name? Is it just his model name for HLDM? I don't recall him ever introducing himself as the G-Man at the end of HL or anything.

Wow, I never knew this. Thanks. Now excuse me as I leave my computer, for I have also never seen the sky, nor grass, and I'm not sure if I even have the ability to breathe outside of my house. Damn, I must live a sheltered existence.

AmishSlayer said:
^^^^^^
Uhh.. ok.

Sorta on topic...I forget...how does the G-Man actually get his name? Is it just his model name for HLDM? I don't recall him ever introducing himself as the G-Man at the end of HL or anything.

He's referred to to as G-Man in the OpFor manual.

Absinthe said:
Wow, I never knew this. Thanks. Now excuse me as I leave my computer, for I have also never seen the sky, nor grass, and I'm not sure if I even have the ability to breathe outside of my house. Damn, I must live a sheltered existence.
:p common guys, i was watching history channel and that came across are u sure u guys knew it started from a gangster?

Absinthe said:
He's referred to to as G-Man in the OpFor manual.

I see. This is just sorta like Return of the Jedi...apparently the word "Ewok" was never mentioned in the movie according to Maxim or Rolling Stone or something...I forget which. I get Maxim, Rolling Stone and FHM in the mail so I can't say which had it.

He's called "The Gman" in the Half-Life PAK files. A lot of people think that the community just gave him this name but that's just wrong.

Same with Barney.

I hope you aren't insinuating that the G-Man has some kind of possible mafioso associations, cuz that would absolutely...

Hey, that would actually kick ass. Tommy guns, boston accents, and the blackmarket distribution of alcohol through striders. That would OWN.

no im saying the word g-man started from a gangster calling fbi like that :p

I saw the same thing on the history channel and I was going to post it here too. I recall there has been some debate on what gman stands for.

ktimekiller said:
if u look on the date, it says 1930, the ganster was around 1900-1930 or something,

The gangster era began in the roaring 20s and carried on through the great depression.

Personally i think G-Man either means
Goverment Man
or
Gordon FreeMAN

Either way that aint the topic, personally i think GMAN came from his mom... Or he might be simply a chess piece as gordon is to the real person behind it all.
Or he may simply well be gordon from the future and he screwed something up, hid and the world went to hell then he aged till 80, found out how go back in time to help is former self!

Im going with the first one to keep this ontopic.

I searched for G-Man on google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&q="g-man"&lr=) and found an interesting site, http://www.g-man-weaponry.com/. Here you can buy all kinds of firearms the government also uses. It's a typical Amarican site, with red, white and blue and it shows again how obsessed they are with violence (but if someone kills someone else and it comes out that he played cs, manhunt or gta or something like that people accuse those games, but this is another subject so...)

But I also think it just stands for Government Man. Besides I think the G-Man is the coolest character of the whole HL and HL2 story (as far as we know it) because of his suit, his mysteriousity and he just always walks away before you can get near him.

I searched for G-Man on google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&q="g-man"&lr=) and found an interesting site, http://www.g-man-weaponry.com/. Here you can buy all kinds of firearms the government also uses. It's a typical Amarican site, with red, white and blue and it shows again how obsessed they are with violence (but if someone kills someone else and it comes out that he played cs, manhunt or gta or something like that people accuse those games, but this is another subject so...)

But I also think it just stands for Government Man. Besides I think the G-Man is the coolest character of the whole HL and HL2 story (as far as we know it) because of his suit, his mysteriousity and he always walks away just before you can get near him.

Back