Finally getting my stuff.

traesko

Reaction score
Rawrr and what a rawrr it is.

I have put togeather a list of what to buy for my new computer. I have pasted the list further down for all of your viewing pleasure. Please comment on it and maybe give me some tips of something that I should change before i place my order.
Here goes:

GPU: Asus Radeon AX800XT Platinum 256Mb DDR3 TV-out DVI VIVO RETAIL AGP

Mobo: Asus K8V SE DELUXE Socket 754 K8T800, ATA/SATA, GbLAN, ATX, Raid

Memory: Corsair XMS3200XL DDR-DIMM 512MB PC3200 32Meg x 8, CAS 2-2-2-5, 400MHz

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3400+ 2200MHz/2.2GHz 1024kb Boxed Socket754

###

Im not so sure about the memory, cause it's too expensive. =/

What do you people think?

rawrr out.

If you say the memory is "too expensive" then why are you buying it? That RAM is good though.

The Terminator said:
If you say the memory is "too expensive" then why are you buying it? That RAM is good though.

Yes, it is expensive. But I still want it.
And because it's expensive it makes me without a computer for about one month. I am selling the comp I have now to be able to pay for the new one.

Selling mobo, gpu, cpu, mem, chassis, power supply.. everything besides my HDs..
So, I have to wait an extra month to be able to buy new chassis, PSU and fans. =/

Slick computer.
If you are worried about the price, don't be afraid of getting 2-3-2-6 timings for memory.
Also OCZ generally have very good timings while at a lower price than Corsair or Kingston.

If you can't find a X800XT instock anywhere, don't be afraid to grab a X800pro or 6800GT as the new generation of cards seriously kick ass.

You need to have a GB of RAM with this new system. This isn't a recommendation, it is a neccesity. Nobody should buy a X800XT PE and only have 512 MB of RAM in their system.

Buy some RAM with slightly slower timings and you should be able to buy a GB of RAM for nearly the same price.

I will have that in mind. As I post this message I am at komplett.se (their swedish site) and looking for memory.

But I've heard that some a64s dies when using an nforce mobo or bad quality memory. i read in some forums, some guy has managed to kill 6 CPUs! argh!

traesko said:
I will have that in mind. As I post this message I am at komplett.se (their swedish site) and looking for memory.

But I've heard that some a64s dies when using an nforce mobo or bad quality memory. i read in some forums, some guy has managed to kill 6 CPUs! argh!

Lol. How do you kill 6 CPU's in a row? He was probably licking the processors or something before he puts them in his motherboard.

If you are skeptical, just do a google search on your motherboard and check out comments and reviews about your motherboard. That should tell you how picky your motherboard is on accepting RAM.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/memory_modules-09.html

Ok, Changed the mem to a Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL3 5ns Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64. It's half the price and I can get another one of those next month. (maybe).

linky, linky?

I think you can do better than that. What site are you shopping at?

blahblahblah said:
linky, linky?

I think you can do better than that. What site are you shopping at?

im browsing komplett.se (i guess it's komplett.co.uk for you).
The price may not exceed 1200 SEK for the sake of my wallet. =) That would be 87.8164 GBP or 130.038 EUR or 160.512 USD

I wouldn't recommend CL3 or CL2.5 value memory. Look for a site that has OCZ or Kingston memory as you can get CL2 memory (E.G. 2-3-2-6 timings). Choose a different brand if the price is too high, don't kill your performance.

Asus said:
I wouldn't recommend CL3 or CL2.5 value memory. Look for a site that has OCZ or Kingston memory as you can get CL2 memory (E.G. 2-3-2-6 timings). Choose a different brand if the price is too high, don't kill your performance.

Well, komplett wont let me some of the mems timings.. sooo..
http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.asp?bn=10529&sortBy=p&minprice=&maxPrice=
Here ya go. :>
I think you can make out what is what, try to find something good below 1200:-

=)

It looks like you need to drop something down. Possibly get an X800 Pro/6800 GT instead of the X800 XT PE. Or possible drop your CPU down to a A64 3200+. Having a super fast CPU or video card will not do you any good if you do not have enough memory to properly use it.

blahblahblah said:
It looks like you need to drop something down. Possibly get an X800 Pro/6800 GT instead of the X800 XT PE. Or possible drop your CPU down to a A64 3200+. Having a super fast CPU or video card will not do you any good if you do not have enough memory to properly use it.

I refuse!

Ok.. If I loosen the limit to around 1400? =)

If you don't want to spend much, this is what you can do:

Get one stick of 512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM, then later on, once you have enough, buy another stick. Then, if you want to still have a great system but have the price be less, you should lower your CPU or video card. You can surely OC a 64 3000+ to 2.2ghz or so, and it is a great CPU. Then that would have left you with some nice $$$ in your wallet. Or, you can keep the 3400+, and drop the video card to a 6800-GT or x800 pro, and OC those to higher levels.

Regardless of what you do, your system will be very nice, and it will run pretty much every game fast.

Dude, if you can't afford a gig of decent RAM, how the hell can you afford an x800 XT? You're wasting your money on those awesome components if you don't buy a gig of decent RAM.

I quote myself from IRC earlier.
If i try to flash the bios I assure you, i will be the first one in the history that manages to accidently rip the card out of its slot and accidently burn it.
and
I dont know squat about overclocking/flashing or anything like that.

But Malfunctions idea sure sounded good.

Ok, I listened to some tips from this forum and our fine IRC-channel that oozes of splendour and fish. I changed GPU, CPU and Memory since my last post of the comp. This is what I've got so far. I would like to thank you all for your tips. (And I hope for your sake that they are correct >D )

GPU: Sapphire Radeon X800PRO VIVO 256MB DDR AGP,ATI X800PRO, VIVO, Full-Retail
Price: 4350:-
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.asp?sku=300803&cks=PRL

Motherboard: Asus K8V SE DELUXE Moderkort Socket 754 K8T800, ATA/SATA, GbLAN, ATX, Raid
Price: 1219:-
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.asp?sku=124229&cks=PRL

Memory: Corsair XMS3200XL DDR-DIMM 512MB PC3200 32Meg x 8, CAS 2-2-2-5, 400MHz
Price: 1419:-
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.asp?sku=300701&cks=PRL

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache, BOXED
Price: 2090:-
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.asp?sku=300493&cks=PRL

(All prices above are in Swedish Kronor, SEK. For currency converter, click here)

Total Price: 9078 SEK - which is 663.970 GBP / 983.847 EUR / 1,213.77 USD.

I then have just about 1400~1500 to throw on something.
Maybe more memory (same as above).

But I would like to spend that money on a chassis, PSU and quality fans because I am selling the computer I am using now, everything besides my hard drives will be sold for about 5~6000 SEK.

So, when/if I get that computer it will be completley naked. And I dont want that. =)
So, chassis along with that comp and some fans, more memory next month. Sounds fair enough?

Now I just want some help with all my clocking needs. I would appreciate links to guides/FAQs and walkthrougs on how to OC the CPU, flash the GPU BIOS and maybe fiddle with the timings on the memory.

Thank you all for your time.

That looks pretty good. I must suggest you buy a case without a power supply, and then buy a good namebrand one like Thermaltake, Antec, or whatever, at least 350 watts, but if you can, go to 400+. Also, if you do plan on OCing your processor, I highly suggest you replace that 3200+'s heatsink with, once again, a nice namebrand heatsink. It will help.

Actually the A64 heahtsinks are great. I'm a good example with my 2GHz to 2.3/2.4GHz OC on Stock cooling with no Voltage increase.

That looks like a better rig if you do go for 1GB of memory. You don't exactly need 2-2-2-5 memory but the first number I would recommend being a 2.

Besides, you would never find one of those 500$ video cards. lol

...My store just got in a shipment of the X800pro's. w00t finally.

Well then, maybe I won't need to upgrade my HS when I get my rig. Sounds good Asus.

I strongly suggest getting 1gb of lower quality RAM. You seriously dont need that sort of RAM unless you are doing some hardcore overclocking, you're better off with more memory. Go for some CAS-3 PC3200 by Kingston or something.

Again, you can actually get good quality memory for less from a different brand (OCZ). No reason to actually get Cas 2.5 or 3 just for saving some money.
1GB is crucial though. :)

I wouldn't recommend the 64 bit processor -- yet. Not many applications can take advantage of it, and you're going to pay through the nose for new technology. Buying a decent (Barton 2600+) now and then a 64 in a year or two might be more economical than buying AMD's flagship now.

Illegal Amigo said:
I wouldn't recommend the 64 bit processor -- yet. Not many applications can take advantage of it, and you're going to pay through the nose for new technology. Buying a decent (Barton 2600+) now and then a 64 in a year or two might be more economical than buying AMD's flagship now.

Have you not heard or seen the performance increases from the Bartons and Intel P4s? They have much better performance on 32-bit apps than Bartons or such. I mean, check out Asus' 3DMark03 score. Sure, he has a GT, but many people with 2500+ Bartons, even with a GT can't get that high.

It might be better to look at the Aquamark3 score since it tests the system as a whole.
By the way, I have not OCed my 6800GT at all. I'm tempted though.

An Athlon 2800+ will perform better than an Athlon XP 3200+ and it is only 50$ more than the Athlon XP 2600+ you recommended, on newegg of course. And for 10$ more than the A64 2800+ you can get yourself a P4 2.4GHz CPU, why?
Lets check out that Doom 3 performance again.
Hmm and that isn't using 64bit is it? Nope.

You can even get a MSI nForce 4 250GB board for 110$.

Got my stuff together now. Gonna order as soon as I get a green light on it. :>

its not at all like the things i posted before. rawrr.

Back