Firefly

Reaction score
Dear God. The cancellation of this show is proof that there is no God. I just bought the DVD boxset (I was intrigued after seeing the very excellent movie) and watched all the episodes and this show was just amazing. I remember when the show first came around in 2002 and I was like "hmm, another action/comedy show." And of course, leave it to Fox to eff shit up with disorganized showings of the episodes and making the show even seem like an action/comedy when its far more than that.

Anyway, enough of that. Any fans out there?

Aye, we had some long topics on this some time ago.

I think everybody came to the conclusion that Firefly was great, Fox blows chode, and there is no justice in the world.

I as well bought the DVD collections.

Before the movie came out I watched all of the episodes twice and watched them all with commentary. There is officially no god...screw people suffering and dying. That happens all the time, but the entire world has lost a great show! I don't know if the world can recover...

And now that there is a chance the show could be renewed, Whedon doesn't want to! I mean, the idea of making more movies for it is good (as he wants too), but episodes come out faster :(.

Absinthe said:
Aye, we had some long topics on this some time ago.

I think everybody came to the conclusion that Firefly was great, Fox blows chode, and there is no justice in the world.
Exactly.

Watched all except the last episode. Why the bloody hell did they cancel it? It should have been quite clear they had something awesome. Crazy bastards.

DeusExMachinia said:
And now that there is a chance the show could be renewed, Whedon doesn't want to!
...... What the hell? You can't possibly be serious.

I wouldn't blame Whedon if he didn't want to subject his labor of love to the same bullshit that killed it off in the first place.

I think Dan Turk is probably the equivalent of the guy they steal the Lasseter from in Trash if anyone.

Sulkdodds said:
I think Dan Turk is probably the equivalent of the guy they steal the Lasseter from in Trash if anyone.

QFT

Stigmata said:
...... What the hell? You can't possibly be serious.

Well he said he wouldn't mind but two things would be in order:

1. He sure as hell isn't going to work with Fox ever again (Which is good)

2. It won't actually be "Firefly." I don't know if he means it won't be the same characters or it will be a spiritual successor to the series, I'm still disappointed.

Has anyone read the comic that bridges the last episode and movie? I want to learn more about Shep's past and the Blue Sun corporation.

Sulkdodds said:

I think he's like Barney from HL, but he works at Tesco instead

I love this series. Got the DVD box set. Why did they have to cancel it :(
Apparently there 2 more movies in the works.

Ren.182 said:
I love this series. Got the DVD box set. Why did they have to cancel it :(
Apparently there 2 more movies in the works.

Unfortunately, probably not going to happen since the first one tanked.:(

Tanked? I know it didn't exactly shine at the box office, but surely it turned an alright profit?

Absinthe said:
Tanked? I know it didn't exactly shine at the box office, but surely it turned an alright profit?

Box office Mania!

So, $39 mil to make, $37 mil in worldwide take. I guess the only way it'll make any profit is when the Browncoats buy the DVDs in droves.

I loved Serenity and am watching the series now because of it.

Ennui said:
I loved Serenity and am watching the series now because of it.

I started watching it because I'm one of those rabid fans who follow everything that Joss Whedon even touches. Hell, I started watching Veronica Mars because he said he liked it (and it is a good show, BTW). Yes, I am a horrible Whedonite.

I didn't even like the film that much but I still paid money to see it. Did anyone else find it went too fast but 'event's were too sparse if you see what I mean? Lots of things happened but not that much happened. The plot was kind of unsatisfying and I hated the way they tok the whole scary spooky idea of the Reavers and trivialised it with 'oh, chemicals did it.' Still, I liked in enough to want to watch Firefly, which has a far higher oarsome quotent in my opinion.

Sulkdodds said:
I didn't even like the film that much but I still paid money to see it. Did anyone else find it went too fast but 'event's were too sparse if you see what I mean? Lots of things happened but not that much happened. The plot was kind of unsatisfying and I hated the way they tok the whole scary spooky idea of the Reavers and trivialised it with 'oh, chemicals did it.' Still, I liked in enough to want to watch Firefly, which has a far higher oarsome quotent in my opinion.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. The series is way better than the movie, but the movie did have its "Oh, well that was cool" moments as well. The series as a whole was better paced, but then they did have an entire season to get through several story arcs.

Greatgat said:
I started watching it because I'm one of those rabid fans who follow everything that Joss Whedon even touches. Hell, I started watching Veronica Mars because he said he liked it (and it is a good show, BTW). Yes, I am a horrible Whedonite.

Meh, Veronica Mars is something I've only seen briefly, but I can't say I really care for it. And it seems like a big chunk of its premise and plot (from what I've heard) is lifted directly from some other show.

Absinthe said:
Meh, Veronica Mars is something I've only seen briefly, but I can't say I really care for it. And it seems like a big chunk of its premise and plot (from what I've heard) is lifted directly from some other show.

I like it, it works for me.:D I've heard it described as (Buffy-Supernatural)+Nancy Drew+Sex.

What's wrong with that?

Meh. It's just that whenever I see it, it's like I can see what it derived from. The premise of the show itself just smacked me as Twin Peaks, minus Dale Cooper.

Nothing "wrong" with it, really. But it just ain't my cup of tea.

OOOoook. I love both the movie and the show. And I'm willing to be what they pull in off of the DVD will make the box office take look like peanuts.

Back